The Student Room Group

Which dentistry university are hardest to get into?

I'm applying for dentistry next year and was wondering if anyone knows which of the UK dental schools are hardest/easiest to get into. I've heard all sorts of rumours like Queen Mary being hardest academically, and Leeds/Liverpool being hard as well due to the highest numbers of applicants. But when I tried to google it I couldn't find much at all.
Does anyone have any idea??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They are all as hard as each other!! But obviously some will be easier for you personally ro get into because of youre strengthals so if you are academic spmewhere thay expects high academics thus making it "hard to get into" is not really hard for you if that makes sense haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by gg2048
I'm applying for dentistry next year and was wondering if anyone knows which of the UK dental schools are hardest/easiest to get into. I've heard all sorts of rumours like Queen Mary being hardest academically, and Leeds/Liverpool being hard as well due to the highest numbers of applicants. But when I tried to google it I couldn't find much at all.
Does anyone have any idea??

Completely depends on your application.
QMUL one of the hardest academically, leeds probably the easiest academically but the hardest in terms of work experience/volunteering etc.
They're all AAA though
Reply 3
Do you reckon cos leeds is introducing bmat as a requirement now, they'll get way less applicants and therefore it'll e easier or not??
Reply 4
Original post by gg2048
Do you reckon cos leeds is introducing bmat as a requirement now, they'll get way less applicants and therefore it'll e easier or not??

I think they'll get less applicants sure. Dunno about it being easier to get into, they'll still want long term work experience. Leeds is a risky option IMO.
Reply 5
Original post by gg2048
Which do you think are least risky then? I reckon I'll skip leeds and go for sheffield, newcastle, manchester and kings?

Just depends on your application, honestly couldn't tell you.
Reply 6
Original post by gg2048
Which do you think are least risky then? I reckon I'll skip leeds and go for sheffield, newcastle, manchester and kings?

Does sheffield do dentistry?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Leeds is asking for BMAT this year but then you won't be put in disadvantage for ur score this year because it's a trial period for them. They will be assess ur application with the old method. ( so yeaa long term work exp and voluntary work in PS)
Original post by gg2048

WHAT! I didn't know this. Madness
Reply 9
Original post by bertstare
WHAT! I didn't know this. Madness

Yup,
10% reduction in places, No Jan exams and now BMAT exams
10/10 would be mad
Reply 10
Original post by teen1234
Completely depends on your application.
QMUL one of the hardest academically, leeds probably the easiest academically but the hardest in terms of work experience/volunteering etc.
They're all AAA though

Glasgow and Dundee are AAB
Original post by slg60

Minimum...
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
Minimum...

Exactly a lot of unis just use these to determine whether you are suitable for the course the majority of whether you get a place is down to PS for most unis....
Original post by slg60
Exactly a lot of unis just use these to determine whether you are suitable for the course the majority of whether you get a place is down to PS for most unis....

Not sure how likely you are to get a place with AAB. Maybe easier now with the 9K fees, idk.
Reply 14
Not sure how likely you are to get a place with AAB. Maybe easier now with the 9K fees, idk.

why would it be easier with 9K fees? just as many people apply
Original post by slg60
why would it be easier with 9K fees? just as many people apply

I doubt there are just as many people applying to Dundee now as there were when they charged £1800. But I could be wrong.
Reply 16
I doubt there are just as many people applying to Dundee now as there were when they charged £1800. But I could be wrong.

That was years ago! There would be loads less people applying anyway.
Original post by slg60
That was years ago! There would be loads less people applying anyway.

It was only 3 years ago, the numbers of UCAS applications decreased quite a lot, for specific courses I am not sure though.
Reply 18
It was only 3 years ago, the numbers of UCAS applications decreased quite a lot, for specific courses I am not sure though.

I would be surprised if that were true for dentist, but who knows it might be. :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by slg60

Glasgow is AAA.

Quick Reply

Latest