The Student Room Group

Which Dietetics Course?

Basically, I'm in a bit of a pickle.

I applied to King's, Surrey and Chester to start a Nutrition & Dietetics degree in September. Following the Open Days and visiting the areas surrounding the universities, I had my heart set on Surrey - I loved Guildford, the course, campus, and sports facilities... I guess I just felt at home there. When I received an offer two days after my interview I was thrilled; stunned but completely over the moon!

But in March I had an interview at King's. My mum & I spent the day before the interview in London, seeing various sites and generally having a nice afternoon. My whole experience then made me think "Actually I could like it here..."

Last week, my UCAS was updated and I got a conditional from King's! Now though, I don't know what to do! Part of me feels like I've been offered a place at 'the most prestigious university' for dietetics so I should take it, but then I loved Surrey so much!

If anyone could help, has been in a similar position before or could even set out straight the pros and cons of each place it'd be much appreciated! Thank you!
Maybe put Kings first and Surrey as back up in case you miss a grade? :smile:
Original post by jojokt
Basically, I'm in a bit of a pickle.

I applied to King's, Surrey and Chester to start a Nutrition & Dietetics degree in September. Following the Open Days and visiting the areas surrounding the universities, I had my heart set on Surrey - I loved Guildford, the course, campus, and sports facilities... I guess I just felt at home there. When I received an offer two days after my interview I was thrilled; stunned but completely over the moon!

But in March I had an interview at King's. My mum & I spent the day before the interview in London, seeing various sites and generally having a nice afternoon. My whole experience then made me think "Actually I could like it here..."

Last week, my UCAS was updated and I got a conditional from King's! Now though, I don't know what to do! Part of me feels like I've been offered a place at 'the most prestigious university' for dietetics so I should take it, but then I loved Surrey so much!

If anyone could help, has been in a similar position before or could even set out straight the pros and cons of each place it'd be much appreciated! Thank you!

Hi there, thats so cool that both Surrey and Kings offered you a place on Dietetics!! Can I ask which you chose in the end and whether or not you regret it? I am applying to study Dietetics in 2015 - just sorting out some work experience at the moment. How much experience did you get?
Reply 3
Although I got the grades for Kings, I decided to study at Surrey and I haven't regretted it for one minute! I really do love it there! I'm currently on my first placement in Jersey, and it's been brilliant so far.
I had a week of work experience in a hospital ward and a weekend at a health and fitness retreat, but some people have just had a day or even none at all!
Hope this helps, and good luck!
Original post by jojokt
Although I got the grades for Kings, I decided to study at Surrey and I haven't regretted it for one minute! I really do love it there! I'm currently on my first placement in Jersey, and it's been brilliant so far.
I had a week of work experience in a hospital ward and a weekend at a health and fitness retreat, but some people have just had a day or even none at all!
Hope this helps, and good luck!

Thanks for getting back to me. Ah cool, I hadn't thought of health holiday type things to volunteer at before -I'll start asking at them now too! I'm having real issues finding experience in a hospital. I've now asked 32 different places! Fingers crossed I'll find some eventually.

Do you mind me picking your brain abit about the course at Surrey? Like what swayed you to choose there in the end?

Are there many mature students on the course? How many hours a week lectures do you have on average? & when it comes to placements, do you have much say in where you go? Or is it done at random?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Well we got a preference but not exactly a choice... we had to put in order our top choices - I put Jersey as my number 1 and got it! That's how it worked for A Placement but I'm not sure about B & C; I expect it's the same though. I do know that they work hard to place people where they want to be!

I think that there are about 10 mature students out of 38 but we all mingle together.

The number of hours of contact time vary day to day, week to week, depending upon whether we have lab sessions or not. It is quite a full timetable though, mostly with 9am starts.

With regards to my final decision I was genuinely very stuck. However I was doing an Extended Project at college which Surrey then also did a similar study of so I felt like it was for me! I also went with my gut of where I felt most comfortable (the surroundings etc) and I don't regret it one bit. We have also just got NutSoc ratified so hopefully it'll get better and better!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well done on getting offers for both Kings and Surrey. I am doing an access from sep and hoping to get into one of these for sep 2015.

There sounds like a good few mature students are on the course: that sounds great as I'll be 25 when I start. (Fingers crossed)

I am glad you are enjoying it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending