The Student Room Group

Why are some people 'proud' to be of a certain ethnicity/race?

Like there are those that go "PROUD TO BE ENGLISH" , black/asian pride etc. seriously, why be proud of something you had absolutely no control over? Its a little stupid. Aren't we supposed to be proud of our own choices and achievements?
(edited 9 years ago)
I think it's related to the idea of being proud of who you are - all aspects of your identity

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Nothing wrong with that. Your ethnicity/race is part of your identity and you should be proud of it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Same goes for gays. It's incredibly annoying :sigh:
Reply 4
Nothing wrong with that .
Original post by Secretnerd123
Like there are those that go "PROUD TO BE ENGLISH" , black/asian pride etc. seriously, why be proud of something you had absolutely no control over? Its a little stupid. Aren't we supposed to be proud of our own choices and achievements?

Not everyone has the same experience, so people would be proud of what they are.
Reply 6
Original post by Wilsoncw1997
Not everyone has the same experience, so people would be proud of what they are.

I for one, I'm very proud to be black. Yes it forms part of my identity, but looking back at the struggles and achievements of my predecessors makes me that bit more proud.:smile:
Reply 7
I agree with op, it's really stupid and people should find something they are good at to be proud of rather than things decided for them.

Perhaps it's mainly people who have nothing else to be proud of.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There's nothing wrong with it, but at the end of the day, no one earned their skin colour or ethnicity, so what sense is there in being proud of it? Your physical form is what it is, so move on.

Saying this, I can see the emotional/psychological appeal of minorities like Blacks and Asians adopting the 'proud' attitude. The West is full of widespread racism, prejudice and abuse of minorities, so 'feeling good' about your ethnic makeup or background is a way of personally fighting against that. I'm Black and have never felt the need for this though. Feeling comfortable in your skin is different from getting a strange kind of validation from it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
I'm extremely proud to be Sri lankan ,I love my people and my culture there is nothing wrong with that.
I always ask this question. Like have you achieved nothing with your life that you need to glory hunt on the successes of your race. For instance are Blacks (affected countries) proud of the fact that their ancestors got enslaved? By that logic, you should be ashamed.

Okay you're proud of Martin Luther King but that's 1 person, in comparison to the many blacks who did nothing about their situation. You're more likely to be related to those individuals.
(edited 9 years ago)
Proud to be white, but i don't like the term white, i am an ethnic European. 'White' just reduces ethnic Europeans to a mere skin colour and removes them from their rich history and heritage.

Never used to think this way, but as a white immigrant living in UK, i see nothing but negetivity directed towards white people.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jebedee
I agree with op, it's really stupid and people should find something they are good at to be proud of rather than things decided for them.

Perhaps it's mainly people who have nothing else to be proud of.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Abdul-Karim
I always ask this question.

ya get meeee
Some people find their nationality / ethnic background to be a very large part of their identity. I proudly identify as Welsh because I had taken the time out as a kid to learn the language fluently as my second language, and to study the history of Wales and identify with the culture. Some people find those experiences very dear and important to them. However, I do agree it can get annoying if people make it the centre of every conversation.
It's not that I'm proud that I am black as such, 'tis more that it forms part of me and I accept it and don't resent the fact I am black
Original post by AmyAintDead
Some people find their nationality / ethnic background to be a very large part of their identity. I proudly identify as Welsh because I had taken the time out as a kid to learn the language fluently as my second language, and to study the history of Wales and identify with the culture. Some people find those experiences very dear and important to them. However, I do agree it can get annoying if people make it the centre of every conversation.

Didn't look it at it that way. Fair enough

Quick Reply

Latest