The Student Room Group

I work in the City, ask me nothing

Scroll to see replies

Original post by universal_set
You said you work in risk (CONFUSED :O )

That's quite correct, although the department I work in had no correlation with the question that was asked.
How did you get in without any prior basic knowledge? I must say you are very lucky.

I do have quite a bit of knowledge, for someone my age. I won a trading competition at UBS, I have a virtual trading account which I trade on US equity markets. I reckon I have a fairly decent level of financial literacy and had quite a bit of experience at other BBs beforehand. I suppose I just impressed the interviewers. Luck however most likely played a major part.
Original post by Roger1
Are you a hafiz?
Do you live with your parents?

Didn't see this.

No. I memorised 1 juz about 4 years ago (most probably forgot it by now).

Yes, I live with my parents. Moving out for university in September.
What do you do as an intern in an IB?
Pardon my curiousness but I don't actually know what it entails,
Like what sort of tasks and roles have you done?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Abdul-Karim
I do have quite a bit of knowledge, for someone my age. I won a trading competition at UBS, I have a virtual trading account which I trade on US equity markets. I reckon I have a fairly decent level of financial literacy and had quite a bit of experience at other BBs beforehand. I suppose I just impressed the interviewers. Luck however most likely played a major part.

No, you don't have basic knowledge because you failed to answer the basic financial risk questions.

OK, let's do it again?

Does a bond price fluctuate with fluctuations in interest rate? What is the easiest way to calculate spot rate in risk? Can you give an example of duration hedging for sale of ease let's say the portfolio consists of two bonds. Is it true that a single interest rate correspond to bonds of different maturities? What are two basic methods to calculate the exposure to non-parallel shifts?

These are the basic interview questions asked by any big to small size bank or financial firm for the position of risk internship/summer position etc.

I guess you work at UBS. And I don't understand why did they hire you?

You said that you work on weekends. What kind of bank opens and teaches you on weekends? (I know that at investment banks people work late night and on weekends too but why will a bank overtime to his permanent employees so that they can come on weekend and teach you)

If you are really working in an investment bank then either the position is very low/unknown or you are very lucky.
Original post by noshahmad
What do you do as an intern in an IB?

Work in assisting my team. I work in Risk, so we essentially look at trades and the risks attached to certain investments traders make.

Pardon my curiousness but I don't actually know what it entails

Investment & Risk Management Solutions
Financing solutions (debt & equity)
Advisory Services
Asset Management services
M&A
Restructuring
Market making (financial intermediary)

An investment bank basically helps re-allocate funds from those who have excess funds (institutional investors etc..) to those who need funds (businesses who want to finance investment projects etc..). There's a lot more they do as well but the above gives you the jist of the various different business lines.

Like what sort of tasks and roles have you done?

Currently just learning more of the financial jargon and being taught to use the systems, as it's my 3rd day. I just work on trade monitoring atm.
City of London :biggrin:

Interesting.. :holmes:
No, you don't have basic knowledge because you failed to answer the basic financial risk questions.

OK, let's do it again?

Does a bond price fluctuate with fluctuations in interest rate? What is the easiest way to calculate spot rate in risk? Can you give an example of duration hedging for sale of ease let's say the portfolio consists of two bonds. Is it true that a single interest rate correspond to bonds of different maturities? What are two basic methods to calculate the exposure to non-parallel shifts?

These are the basic interview questions asked by any big to small size bank or financial firm for the position of risk internship/summer position etc.

You said that you work on weekends. What kind of bank opens and teaches you on weekends? (I know that at investment banks people work late night and on weekends too but why will a bank overtime to his permanent employees so that they can come on weekend and teach you)

If you are really working in an investment bank then either the position is very low/unknown or you are very lucky.

Didn't he say that he works at a French IB so it can't be UBS...I'm guessing SG.

OK, let's do it again?

I don't work at UBS and I don't work on weekends but whatever suits your fancy. :biggrin:
Original post by yl95
Didn't he say that he works at a French IB so it can't be UBS...I'm guessing SG.

BNP Paribas is an even bigger french bank, weird how you jumped straight to SG.

Well going to break my fast so take care guys.
I don't work at UBS and I don't work on weekends but whatever suits your fancy. :biggrin:

OK, not at UBS. Still, no bank hires a candidate with zero financial knowledge.

I guess you are just attending free seminars organized by banks in which they give introductory literature about what they do :biggrin:

But where are the answers? OR at least try to answer one question.

OK, let's do it again?

You don't necessarily need to know that stuff for a penultimate year summer internship, let alone a pre-university one.
BNP Paribas is an even bigger french bank, weird how you jumped straight to SG.

Well going to break my fast so take care guys.

I Googled 'French investment bank', hah. Forgot about BNP, oh dear.
OK, not at UBS. Still, no bank hires a candidate with zero financial knowledge.

I guess you are just attending free seminars organized by banks in which they give introductory literature about what they do :biggrin:

But where are the answers? OR at least try to answer one question.

Oh didn't realise I'm attending an 8 week free one day seminar in which I accidently had to hand in a P46 :lol:.

My bad. My security card has access to trading floor though :biggrin:.

Well.. one of the two that's in the building.
(edited 9 years ago)
Do you work in the City as a full-time job?
Original post by Cutmeloose
You don't necessarily need to know that stuff for a penultimate year summer internship, let alone a pre-university one.

Yes it is basic knowledge & it is required :smile:
You can confirm it from Dr Yves Nosbusch, I guess he sits on 3rd floor in Old Building. He specializes in financial risk analysis :tongue:
How did you get your summer internship?
You can confirm it from Dr Yves Nosbusch, I guess he sits on 3rd floor in Old Building. He specializes in financial risk analysis :tongue:

Not sure if serious, but it's not. Interviewed for summer internships and it's definitely not required across the board.
Original post by Law-Hopeful
Do you mean Louis Vuitton?

Original post by Mubariz
Lol.

Na he goes for the cheap ones.

His trainers are Mike

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by EatAndRevise
Do you work in the City as a full-time job?

I'm a summer intern. Mon-Fri for the duration of the summer holiday.

Original post by thechemistress
How did you get your summer internship?

Networking

Begs the question.. how did a retard like me get one?

PS that post is *******s, people go in with less financial knowledge than the questions you've asked. I know at BAML, analysts get flown up to NY for finance classes/training session in the first week.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest