The Student Room Group

One year IB?

Hello guys,

Is there a possible way to do IB in a year? or 1.5 year?

thank you in advance.
As long as I know, the IB is a 2-year programme. However, I don't think the IBO would have any problem if you prepared it in less time. You just need to contact your IB school and ask the IB coordinator abou that possibility.

Personally, I think the IB is a demanding programme and I don't think I would have been ready for the exams in just one year (I got a 43 by the way).
Original post by jokerswifts
Hello guys,

Is there a possible way to do IB in a year? or 1.5 year?

thank you in advance.

my cousins gf did it in a year and a half. BUT...she had already done A levels, and got four A* grades, she wanted to go to uni abroad and they preferred IB so as she had planned to take a gap year she spent it doing IB. She said the standard was so much higher than A level that she did the same subjects in that she really struggled. She got about 36 I think, which considering she already had A*A*A*A* at A level is pretty telling.
Reply 3
Original post by LolaLowe
my cousins gf did it in a year and a half. BUT...she had already done A levels, and got four A* grades, she wanted to go to uni abroad and they preferred IB so as she had planned to take a gap year she spent it doing IB. She said the standard was so much higher than A level that she did the same subjects in that she really struggled. She got about 36 I think, which considering she already had A*A*A*A* at A level is pretty telling.

Holy **** seriously? 36-38 is equivalent to AAA for dentistry lol
You need the year and three quarters to do IB. There's too much to learn for it to he possible in a year, especially with the added stress of the Extended Essay, coursework for all 6 subjects and TOK.
Original post by teen1234
Holy **** seriously? 36-38 is equivalent to AAA for dentistry lol

its a point of real contention actually, the unis that give offers of A*AA for A level and want 38/39 points for the same course are not favoured by IB students! Thats why its interesting to hear from few people who have done both.
Reply 6
Original post by fibonacci24
As long as I know, the IB is a 2-year programme. However, I don't think the IBO would have any problem if you prepared it in less time. You just need to contact your IB school and ask the IB coordinator abou that possibility.

Personally, I think the IB is a demanding programme and I don't think I would have been ready for the exams in just one year (I got a 43 by the way).

WOW ! congrats ! that is AMAZING!!! I think i wanted to take IB or foundation programme but i dont know what to do. IB is a two year programme and foundation is one year programme. IB allows me to explore my interest in other subjects but foundation programme is very straightforward route (engineering pathway, art and design pathway etc) for student who knows what they want to study in the future. I took A level before but the courses is very limited and also the teacher restricted the courses i wanted to take,i got bad results in the end and not planning to retake anymore. I have already applied to one of the college in UK and got the offer(foundation programme). However, i think i still want to explore other subjects(even though i know i want to pursue my studies in computer science)as well in order to find out what i really want to study. If you were me what will you do ? any other suggestion? thank you for your reply :biggrin:
Reply 7

OMG !!! she is incredibly AMAZING!!! 3 A levels already cost my life and she took 4 A levels with 4 A*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!! IB is much more broader compared to A level. I wish i could reverse time and i will change A level to IB. Btw i've applied to one of the college in UK for the foundation programme, this programme only cost a year to UK universities, but i dont think this can gurantee my first choice university compared to A level(2 years) and IB(2 years). I've wasted my two years on A level and i hated it. If you were me what will you do ? IB or foundation programme?any suggestions?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Calllu-m
You need the year and three quarters to do IB. There's too much to learn for it to he possible in a year, especially with the added stress of the Extended Essay, coursework for all 6 subjects and TOK.

ok , are you one of the IB student???
ok , are you one of the IB student???

I finished the IB in 2013, after starting it 2011
I finished the IB in 2013, after starting it 2011

nice ! what subs did you take? do you suggest people to take IB instead of foundation programme?
nice ! what subs did you take? do you suggest people to take IB instead of foundation programme?

I did HL English Lit A, history and geography and SL maths studies, biology and French B. Do you mean a university foundation programme?
I did HL English Lit A, history and geography and SL maths studies, biology and French B. Do you mean a university foundation programme?

Nice! Yes , university foundation programme. Is it a good choice?

Did she self study? Where offers IB in one year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending