The Student Room Group

Brazil vs Germany semi-final

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ggmu!
Shows how much you know LOL.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In fact, explain why my post is incorrect. This should be fun.
Original post by cBay
It was the 4-2-3-1. Maybe one day everybody else will realise what a **** formation it is. Every time at a top team gets thrashed, they're playing 4-2-3-1. It's no coincidence, it is a majorly flawed formation. But I've explained it so many times and I get ignored so I won't bother any more.

4-2-3-1 is not a flawed formation.
The right manager with the right players with the right tactics with the right balance can easily make it work.
The formation wasn't the problem. Scolari played the wrong players.
Marcelo is not a defender.
Bernard is essentially a handicap player - no height, no strength and no power and cannot drop back.
Playing Fred is playing one man less.
David Luiz is not a leader and cannot defend unless with Terry/Silva telling him what to do.
Scolari's best team would have been
Hulk
Willian - Oscar - Ramires
Fernandinio-Gustavo
Luis-Luiz-Dante-Maicon
(not sure if Filipe Luis or Miranda were even in the 23 man squad despite conceding fewest goals in La Liga nearly making history with Atletico)

SAF or Mourinho wouldn't have thought twice about going with a similar team like above in this match. Maximum defensive solidity and lightning speed on the counter.
With Willian and Ramires dropping back constantly whenever required and creating 2 walls of four.

Scolari lost the plot but this German side arguably played the best football any national team has played in 90 minutes since the Brazil of the old.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by cBay
It was the 4-2-3-1. Maybe one day everybody else will realise what a **** formation it is. Every time at a top team gets thrashed, they're playing 4-2-3-1. It's no coincidence, it is a majorly flawed formation. But I've explained it so many times and I get ignored so I won't bother any more.

Did I miss something, didn't Germany just now start 4-2-3-1?

4 defenderrs
2 DM, Schweini, Kehdira
3 CM/OM Ozil, Kroos, Muller
1 Striker, Klose
I bet all the german mods will card me.

so much for opinion. :mad:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by llys
All the memes in this thread have been top notch.

Lol I know right! :biggrin:
Original post by cleveradam
The right manager with the right players with the right tactics with the right balance can easily make it work.
Bernard is essentially a handicap player - no height, no strength and no power and cannot drop back.
David Luiz is not a leader and cannot defend unless with Terry/Silva telling him what to do.
Hulk
Fernandinio-Gustavo
Luis-Luiz-Dante-Maicon
(not sure if Filipe Luis or Miranda were even in the 23 man squad despite conceding fewest goals in La Liga nearly making history with Atletico)

SAF or Mourinho wouldn't have thought twice about going with a similar team like above in this match. Maximum defensive solidity and lightning speed on the counter.
With Willian and Ramires dropping back constantly whenever required and creating 2 walls of four.

Scolari lost the plot.

I tried saying this on facebook and people were just talking about how good Germany were.

Problem was that phil Scolari has his favourites. He simply should have started with a more defensive lineup, he was going to struggle to break through that Germany defence, who have been solid this whole competition(bar the Ghana game) in defence.
Original post by Zürich
Bruv, if you had just won £14k on Germany, you wouldnt be on TSR chatting about it casually right now...

when you got £20k to bet, its nothing

i dont celebrate when i make £5k
Reply 787
Hate to say it but someone is going to get shot over this
Reply 788
Original post by cBay

Tbh part of it down to the poor choice of players Scolari chose tonight. Hernanes, Willian, Jo and Ramires should all have started tonight instead of Oscar, Bernard, Fred and Fernandinho.
Reply 789
Original post by SarcasticMel
Did I miss something, didn't Germany just now start 4-2-3-1?

4 defenderrs
2 DM, Schweini, Kehdira
3 CM/OM Ozil, Kroos, Muller
1 Striker, Klose

it was a 4-3-3, schwein stayed deep, with khedira and kroos playing box-to-box. Obviously it was fluid with Khed and Schwein swapping places, but they always kept that shape.
Reply 790
Original post by pane123
How petty of you. Massive fail on your part, though, as you clearly don't understand what my post means LOL.

Yeah I feel pretty stupid now lol

Original post by cleveradam
Hulk
Fernandinio-Gustavo
Luis-Luiz-Dante-Maicon

Scolari lost the plot but this German side arguably played the best football any national team has played in 90 minutes since the Brazil of the old.

Agreed, but I think Brazil made the Germans look godly tonight.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What happened to Brazil? How humiliating that must have been for them. You have to admit that the end result was well deserved for Germany :smile:
Is aguero injured for tommorow?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Seriously missed neymar and thiago silva. People say it would of been the same result but I disagree (scoreline). As 4 goals in 6 minutes show, mentality in football is everything. If neymar is on the pitch at 1-0 down, the players in the brazil squad would believe they have a goal in them, without neymar, they are not sure they can score. Without silva they have no leader, a football game is not won in 30 minutes, but can be lost in 30 minutes, if Brazil don't panic at 1-0 and chase the game then it could of been a different result. However, at 1-0 down david luiz is already running out of defence to try and get the ball, trying to chase the game when you have 60 minutes left is crazy and something that wouldn't of happened if thiago silva is on the pitch. Besides this Germany would of most likely still won, solid performance, solid players, Khedira had the game of his life, kroos awesome.
Reply 794
I'm still trying to process what happened. Were Brazil actually at the stadium for the first half???
Original post by Numan786
Is aguero injured for tommorow?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, he will probably play. He was declared fit by the team doctor but I doubt he is anywhere near 100%. Of course, the team doctor could be gay and "fit" was lost in translation.
Original post by pane123
No, he will probably play. He was declared fit by the team doctor but I doubt he is anywhere near 100%. Of course, the team doctor could be gay and "fit" was lost in translation.

Lol this is a South American team I don't think they'd let any gay people near the team. Wonder how they'll set up tommorow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cBay
it was a 4-3-3, schwein stayed deep, with khedira and kroos playing box-to-box. Obviously it was fluid with Khed and Schwein swapping places, but they always kept that shape.

I don't think 4-2-3-1 is a flawed formation, Real have played it many a time. Bayern Munich won the CL using that formation, Dortmund got to the CL final with that formation.

That's not a problem, especially when you consider that Gustavo and Fernandinho have played in 2 man midfields before.

Problem is that they simply didn't use the right tactics and the player they rely on to play Brazils football don't change. It was simple what Brazil had to do before the game. It makes no sense to not use the likes of Filipe Luiz and Miranda against them.
Reply 798
Original post by Numan786
Lol this is a South American team I don't think they'd let any gay people near the team. Wonder how they'll set up tommorow.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You say but bloody hell half of the South American teams look too metrosexual lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
There is actually very little difference between a 4-2-3-1, a 4-5-1 or a 4-1-4-1 or even a 4-3-3

What matters if how the 2 CMs play within the system in terms of discipline, work rate and energy

Quick Reply

Latest