The Student Room Group

Should Abortion be made illegal?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChickenMadness
See this is what I was talking about when I say I avoid people with your view point. You're just very immature trying to make me angry by saying stuff like you'l be thinking of me the next time you have an abortion lmfao. You're the one with a lack of respect for other humans since you place so little value in the child's life that you're responsible for.

People with your view just have a 'me me me me' attitude. So much so that you'l go as far as killing another human just to make your own life that much more enjoyable.

Anyway you won't make me angry. I've accepted that bad stuff goes on inthe world that I can't do anything about. Just how it is.

You don't think you're making me angry? Asserting your authority over my own body? **** that ****. My body is mine, and I'll do what I want with it. Don't you think that if you were right, then the law would back you? Maybe you're wrong, buddy. Maybe bodily autonomy is more important than your opinion. No wait, is IS more important than your opinion. I revel in talking about my abortions because it upsets vagina-police like you. If I want to have sex, I'll have sex. If I get pregnant, and I don't want a baby, then I'll have an abortion. And that doesn't make me a murderer, that doesn't make me anything, because it's legal buddy.

You're wrong, and abortions aren't bad stuff, they're the best choices I ever made. I feel sorry for you that you're so narrow-minded you can't see past the end of your own nose :lol:
not telling you to do anything. I'm just stating my opinion.

Sucks that lives have to be destroyed just because people want to have fun though.

And she did chose to bring a life into the world. You know damn well what happens when you have sex lmfao. They teach you that in school.

Lives aren't being destroyed. And even if they were, logic dictates that it's better to destroy one life than destroy the lives of two people who didn't want to have a child and would then have to deal with raising the thing.

And no. Why the hell do you think contraception exists? For ****s and giggles? Or to, you know, try and prevent pregnancy?
Original post by Messalina
You don't think you're making me angry? Asserting your authority over my own body? **** that ****. My body is mine, and I'll do what I want with it. Don't you think that if you were right, then the law would back you? Maybe you're wrong, buddy. Maybe bodily autonomy is more important than your opinion. No wait, is IS more important than your opinion. I revel in talking about my abortions because it upsets vagina-police like you. If I want to have sex, I'll have sex. If I get pregnant, and I don't want a baby, then I'll have an abortion. And that doesn't make me a murderer, that doesn't make me anything, because it's legal buddy.

You're wrong, and abortions aren't bad stuff, they're the best choices I ever made. I feel sorry for you that you're so narrow-minded you can't see past the end of your own nose :lol:

rofl. If it wasn't illegal to kill people, and you went and murdered someone. That would still make you a murderer.

I don't feel sorry for you but I feel sorry for your children and the life they'l never have.

What is all this BS about 'asserting authority over your body' though?
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
Lives aren't being destroyed. And even if they were, logic dictates that it's better to destroy one life than destroy the lives of two people who didn't want to have a child and would then have to deal with raising the thing.

And no. Why the hell do you think contraception exists? For ****s and giggles? Or to, you know, try and prevent pregnancy?

The lives of 2 people won't be destroyed if a baby comes to term, because everyone is still alive. No one dies.

Ye contraception exists to prevent pregnancy. Hopefully so that you don't have to murder your own child lmfao.

Messalina
x

Anyway lets just agree to disagree. The core of it is that I think the feotus a human being, therefore has rights, whereas you 2 don't. I doubt we'l change each others minds.
rofl. If it wasn't illegal to kill people, and you went and murdered someone. That would still make you a murderer.

I don't feel sorry for you but I feel sorry for your children and the life they'l never have.

What is all this BS about 'asserting authority over your body' though?

This thread is about the legality of abortion. If you haven't noticed, abortion is certainly not anywhere near being made illegal in this country, because there is no point whatsoever in doing so. If you make it illegal to stop abortions happening, then abortions still happen, so you've failed.

I'll have other children, doofus. I'd rather wait until I'm ready to be a good parent than bring unwanted children into this world who I can't take care of properly. Or would you prefer it that all women who are not ready to have children follow through with their pregnancies, thus bringing more damaged and potentially neglected children into this world?

You're asserting authority in that you are telling me that my choices are wrong. That's bull****. You, and people like you, will NEVER make me regret the choices I've made. And frankly, **** you for trying to make me feel guilty. You have no idea of my life, or what I have been through, you're just trying to push your own misguided, small minded opnions onto my life, and its bull****. **** you. I had 2 abortions. I don't give a ****, and I'm happy. **** you. :smile:
This thread is about the legality of abortion. If you haven't noticed, abortion is certainly not anywhere near being made illegal in this country, because there is no point whatsoever in doing so. If you make it illegal to stop abortions happening, then abortions still happen, so you've failed.

I'll have other children, doofus. I'd rather wait until I'm ready to be a good parent than bring unwanted children into this world who I can't take care of properly. Or would you prefer it that all women who are not ready to have children follow through with their pregnancies, thus bringing more damaged and potentially neglected children into this world?

You're asserting authority in that you are telling me that my choices are wrong. That's bull****. You, and people like you, will NEVER make me regret the choices I've made. And frankly, **** you for trying to make me feel guilty. You have no idea of my life, or what I have been through, you're just trying to push your own misguided, small minded opnions onto my life, and its bull****. **** you. I had 2 abortions. I don't give a ****, and I'm happy. **** you. :smile:

Nah you're the one trying so hard to make me change my mind, with insults etc. I'm stopping now because I don't want to be dragged into name calling and flaming rofl.

For what it's worth, it's illegal in NI except very specific circumatances.
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27325363
And over 1000 women travel to England to get it done PRIVATELY because we can't do it here because NI is a backwards ****hole compared to the rest of the UK, and the mainland refuses to pay for it or something.

Just a bit of proof for the reasoning that it being illegal won't stop it happening.
(edited 9 years ago)
For what it's worth, it's illegal in NI. http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27325363
And over 1000 women travel to England to get it done PRIVATELY because we can't do it here because NI is a backwards ****hole compared to the rest of the UK, and the mainland refuses to pay for it or something.

Just a bit of proof for the reasoning that it being illegal won't stop it happening.

I'm so glad I don't live over there. It's practically medieval that they don't have bodily autonomy in the modern western world. But hey, that's ireland for you -_-

From stats that I've seen it's actually MORE likely where it is illegal, because usually it coincides with the restriction of contraception. It upsets me so much, bodily autonomy is so important but because this affects only women, it just isn't a mainstream matter to so many countries. I hope that one day the whole world will be pro-choice, but I doubt I'll see it in my lifetime :frown:
I'm so glad I don't live over there. It's practically medieval that they don't have bodily autonomy in the modern western world. But hey, that's ireland for you -_-

From stats that I've seen it's actually MORE likely where it is illegal, because usually it coincides with the restriction of contraception. It upsets me so much, bodily autonomy is so important but because this affects only women, it just isn't a mainstream matter to so many countries. I hope that one day the whole world will be pro-choice, but I doubt I'll see it in my lifetime :frown:

NI's also the only part of the UK to not have gay marriage in place/planning. Go figure. >.>
Essentially the rules in NI is that is has to be 'severe long term health reduction in the mother' or something about the embryo having severe abnormalities or something. I can't recall if there's a ruling about rape cases.

It makes me sick that women here have to pay to fly to the mainland and then pay up to £1000 to get rid of it. We pay into the NHS. I wasn't aware that that meant the NHS could refuse us in a time of need.
NI's also the only part of the UK to not have gay marriage in place/planning. Go figure. >.>
Essentially the rules in NI is that is has to be 'severe long term health reduction in the mother' or something about the embryo having severe abnormalities or something. I can't recall if there's a ruling about rape cases.

It makes me sick that women here have to pay to fly to the mainland and then pay up to £1000 to get rid of it. We pay into the NHS. I wasn't aware that that meant the NHS could refuse us in a time of need.

Yeah, and if you want a cake with a gay slogan then bakeries reject you...
I think the NHS thing is appalling. It's already severely inaccessible, I think that women who come over from NI and even RoI should be able to access abortion as easily as women from the mainland. That said, due to "complications" on the administrative side, I had to pay £800 for my first one even though I'd lived in London for the past 18 years as the NHS couldn't cover it in the legal time frame. Pretty awful...

I'm hoping that the "contraceptive chip" that Bill Gates is backing gets out into the mainstream asap. I think that could help a lot of people, both in the short and long term. Although I don't know how easily accessible contraception is in NI either :frown:
Yeah, and if you want a cake with a gay slogan then bakeries reject you...
I think the NHS thing is appalling. It's already severely inaccessible, I think that women who come over from NI and even RoI should be able to access abortion as easily as women from the mainland. That said, due to "complications" on the administrative side, I had to pay £800 for my first one even though I'd lived in London for the past 18 years as the NHS couldn't cover it in the legal time frame. Pretty awful...

I'm hoping that the "contraceptive chip" that Bill Gates is backing gets out into the mainstream asap. I think that could help a lot of people, both in the short and long term. Although I don't know how easily accessible contraception is in NI either :frown:

I'm pretty sure we can get contraception pretty easily. I'm not 100% sure on stuff like the coil, but I believe the pill is pretty common. And obviously condoms are available. Not 100% sure on the morning-after pill though, but I'd assume it was easy enough because we do tend to follow the mainland in most things, just not abortion and gay marriage, apparently. But that's because of all the religious tensions and they just keep saying 'it's not a priority, peace is the priority, nothing else matters'. Despite the fact that things are pretty peaceful anyway.
I'm pretty sure we can get contraception pretty easily. I'm not 100% sure on stuff like the coil, but I believe the pill is pretty common. And obviously condoms are available. Not 100% sure on the morning-after pill though, but I'd assume it was easy enough because we do tend to follow the mainland in most things, just not abortion and gay marriage, apparently. But that's because of all the religious tensions and they just keep saying 'it's not a priority, peace is the priority, nothing else matters'. Despite the fact that things are pretty peaceful anyway.

Honestly if I lived there I would try and move away sharpish. What with the religious issue and all the laws which vindicate female inferiority, I can't be doing with Ireland. That may well be small minded of me but the thought of not receiving fair healthcare would stop me sleeping at night..
Should Abortion be made illegal?

Do you want almost every girl to get pregnant on freshers week? (Kidding)
Reply 173
Nah you're the one trying so hard to make me change my mind, with insults etc. I'm stopping now because I don't want to be dragged into name calling and flaming rofl.

I actually went through this entire thread 'cause I clearly have no life and oh my gosh-you're awesome.
Way to get a reaction out of the femenistas too...Cringed every single time one of them referred to their kind as "women",as though they are the norm.But anyway.
Original post by P357
I actually went through this entire thread 'cause I clearly have no life and oh my gosh-you're awesome.
Way to get a reaction out of the femenistas too...Cringed every single time one of them referred to their kind as "women",as though they are the norm.But anyway.

lmao thanks. I wasn't really trying to get a reaction out of anyone, just stating my point of view since I looked through the first couple pages and no one said anything I agreed with.

I really just think it's crazy how people view their children as pieces of meat to be disposed of. Something seriously wrong happened somewhere down the line in our society for this attitude to be so common place imo.

Also the arguements about 'I have a right to control my body' are just cringe. Even if abortion was illegal you would still have the right to control your body and just not have sex or get pregnant.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 175
lmao thanks. I wasn't really trying to get a reaction out of anyone, just stating my point of view since I looked through the first couple pages and no one said anything I agreed with.

I really just think it's crazy how people view their children as pieces of meat to be disposed of. Something seriously wrong happened somewhere down the line in our society for this attitude to be so common place imo.

Also the arguements about 'I have a right to control my body' are just cringe. Even if abortion was illegal you would still have the right to control your body and just not have sex or get pregnant.

You don't agree with me? I created this thread lol
Reply 176
I believe that I am correct in saying that legalisation did not drastically alter the abortion rate. Those who really want to see a reduction in the number of abortions performed would be best advised to not travel on the road of prohibition. Education, awareness etc would be superior methods in achieving their goals.
Again, how interesting that the majority of posters so desperate to control women's bodies under the guise of being pro-life are male, and will never have to carry a baby they don't want. I hold you in the same regard as I hold the people who stand outside abortion clinics protesting - privileged, misogynistic and inherently ignorant.
abortion shouldn't be made illegal. the woman should have the right to decide whether to keep the baby or not. if you cannot provide for the baby or the baby was conceived through rape its not ethical to give birth to it. people care alot about unborn babies and how controversial abortion is. if abortion really is about the unborn child then what are we doing with the ones who are in the care system? i dont hear people worrying about them.
Original post by madders94
Again, how interesting that the majority of posters so desperate to control women's bodies under the guise of being pro-life are male, and will never have to carry a baby they don't want. I hold you in the same regard as I hold the people who stand outside abortion clinics protesting - privileged, misogynistic and inherently ignorant.

The irony is, you are appearing totally misandric. Sure, men can't carry children - but why do you assume that is an advantage? I'm gay and want to settle down with a man I love and have a family. I can't carry a child, no matter how much I might want to. You can't assume that men not being able to carry children is some 'privileged' advantage over women because it simply isn't necessarily.

I am not a strong supporter of abortion, but I accept that in some situations it may be practical and acceptable. With that said, when you hear about women aborting their children so they can go on Big Brother, it makes you feel sick to the stomach that people like that can get pregnant but men who may be the best parents in the world can't. It's biological fact that nobody can change, but I have to reaffirm that it is wrong of you to assume men are at some kind of advantage by not being able to carry children.

Quick Reply