The Student Room Group

I like one of my best guy friends

Okay a little bit of background, I've known this guy for about 9 months now as I met him through university.

I've just recently gotten out of a relationship but have liked this guy for some time (It was a long distance relationship that basically went to **** months ago and we both knew it, I accepted that months ago and this guy is not a re-bound by any means).

The friend I like knows I just got out of the relationship but I did tell him that it had been over months and that I'm perfectly happy now that I'm out of it.

My friend however has recently gone out on a date with a girl he met at a party I took him too (this was before i broke up with boyfriend) and they have another date planned. While I'd never sabotage a relationship these two have only been on one date and he doesn't seem all that set on it anyway.

Sometimes I get the feeling he likes me back, and I feel like I have been somewhat forward but he may have missed this and I'm not sure how to proceed?

How can I gauge if he has feelings for me too without ruining the friendship if he doesn't? Because I'd rather be friends with him than have nothing, but I don't want to be thinking for years to come "what if"

Sorry if the ramblings of my idiocy made no sense.

Scroll to see replies

Just ****ing tell him.
girls to me are like a jenga puzzle glued to a rubiks cube strapped to a terrorist with a bomb screaming at you in a language you dont know with a timer going down.

If you just tell him it will make life easier.
Reply 2
Original post by Carterj09
Just ****ing tell him.
girls to me are like a jenga puzzle glued to a rubiks cube strapped to a terrorist with a bomb screaming at you in a language you dont know with a timer going down.

It's easier said than done. This guy is one of my closest friends and one of the centre people in our close knit friendship group. If it gets awkward because I say I like him and he doesn't like me back then that's really going to **** some stuff up and making social gatherings weird.
Reply 3
Just ****ing tell him.

I'd also like to add that I usually would just tell a guy i like him or ask him out, but because of the friendship situation I am hesitant to do that.
Original post by Anonymous
I'd also like to add that I usually would just tell a guy i like him or ask him out, but because of the friendship situation I am hesitant to do that.

Its better to know, if i know a girl likes me it literally makes no different. Unless i like her to, just tell him.
Reply 5
Its better to know, if i know a girl likes me it literally makes no different. Unless i like her to, just tell him.

How on earth would I go about doing that? :/ I mean for a start I'd have to summon up the courage to get utterly rejected. But like logistically how would one do that? Just like "Hey I know you're about to go on a date and all that...but well, I like you... okay".
If you word it in such a way, it won't make it awkward. If you do it at the right time in the right situation and show him you've thought about how you were going to tell him, I don't think it'll make things awkward/as awkward. But just make sure to get all your feelings across and he'll do the same. Better to say oh well than what if in the end.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7

HAHA the best ever statement someone has ever made about girls :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by ZSHNZ
If you word it in such a way, it won't make it awkward. If you do it at the right time in the right situation and show him you've thought about how you were going to tell him, I don't think it'll make things awkward/as awkward. But just make sure to get all your feelings across and he'll do the same. Better to say oh well than what if in the end.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But how would I word it? Also how am I supposed to know when is the right time or situation?

I've literally never had to deal with this before, I've never liked or dated someone from my friendship circle before this.
But how would I word it? Also how am I supposed to know when is the right time or situation?

I've literally never had to deal with this before, I've never liked or dated someone from my friendship circle before this.

Since you seem to have no idea on what to say to them, why don't you do it in such a way that you don't have to say directly that you like them? Instead, show them that you like them, do things which would indicate that you like them and see how they react? That might give you an idea of if they like you or not. Sorry about not being specific but right now I don't have enough energy available to think of specifics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ZSHNZ
Since you seem to have no idea on what to say to them, why don't you do it in such a way that you don't have to say directly that you like them? Instead, show them that you like them, do things which would indicate that you like them and see how they react? That might give you an idea of if they like you or not. Sorry about not being specific but right now I don't have enough energy available to think of specifics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm okay, I'm currently doing some crafting projects over summer. Do you think he's like it if I made something for him? Or is that too far?
Well if you just say "i like you" (obviously word it better) and then tell him it changes nothing between you. You wont get rejected unless you ask him out. Ive been rejected and it feels ****ty, for like 10 minutes, or a year if you really liked them D:
Well if you just say "i like you" (obviously word it better) and then tell him it changes nothing between you. You wont get rejected unless you ask him out. Ive been rejected and it feels ****ty, for like 10 minutes, or a year if you really liked them D:

I did actually once (drunkenly mind) send him a text that literally said "I like you" I don't think he really caught on though as I think he was also drinking at the time.
Hmm okay, I'm currently doing some crafting projects over summer. Do you think he's like it if I made something for him? Or is that too far?

No, that would be perfect, just make sure it's not something too extravagant. And the timing of when you give it is important too. You mentioned he's dating someone, you probably know what I'm going to say, but try and be alone when you give it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ZSHNZ
No, that would be perfect, just make sure it's not something too extravagant. And the timing of when you give it is important too. You mentioned he's dating someone, you probably know what I'm going to say, but try and be alone when you give it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahah I'm nowhere near good enough at crafting for it to be extravagant :tongue: in fact it'll probably be quite endearing how awful the gift will be :')

Yeah I'd definitely give it to him when it was just us too, as if our friends were there I might get questioned why I didn't make them something! Also the girl he is dating at the moment is never with us so i don't have to worry about that but if I'm going to get my feelings across I want to make sure I do it before they get in anyway serious because that wouldn't be fair on the poor girl.
Ahah I'm nowhere near good enough at crafting for it to be extravagant :tongue: in fact it'll probably be quite endearing how awful the gift will be :')

Yeah I'd definitely give it to him when it was just us too, as if our friends were there I might get questioned why I didn't make them something! Also the girl he is dating at the moment is never with us so i don't have to worry about that but if I'm going to get my feelings across I want to make sure I do it before they get in anyway serious because that wouldn't be fair on the poor girl.

Yeah, that sounds like a plan. Oh yeah, make sure it isn't serious with them or that'd just be wrong! But yeah, best of luck to you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is why I shouldn't be online at 4am - I read a situation and feel so sympathetic I have to try and help. I'm posting this anonymously because I often regret things I've said in the early hours of the morning. Anyway, yes. Your guy. Have you tried googling signs that a guy likes you? Wikihow has quite an extensive - I don't really know what to call it, article I suppose - with pictures, which is always fun. Obviously it's hard because he is a friend, which means that some things that usually mean a guy likes you (I think one of the things was telling you about his childhood) he's going to do anyway.

Where I'm going with this is that if he is showing these little signals then that might give you a bit more confidence to let him know, whether that means saying it outright or dropping some hints and signs.
Original post by ZSHNZ
Yeah, that sounds like a plan. Oh yeah, make sure it isn't serious with them or that'd just be wrong! But yeah, best of luck to you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile: I'll do that! And oh no, they've only been on one date and have literally only seen each other twice! I'd never sabotage a relationship as that's awful
This is why I shouldn't be online at 4am - I read a situation and feel so sympathetic I have to try and help. I'm posting this anonymously because I often regret things I've said in the early hours of the morning. Anyway, yes. Your guy. Have you tried googling signs that a guy likes you? Wikihow has quite an extensive - I don't really know what to call it, article I suppose - with pictures, which is always fun. Obviously it's hard because he is a friend, which means that some things that usually mean a guy likes you (I think one of the things was telling you about his childhood) he's going to do anyway.

Where I'm going with this is that if he is showing these little signals then that might give you a bit more confidence to let him know, whether that means saying it outright or dropping some hints and signs.

Haha, I know the feeling! I should really not be awake right now :tongue:

Honestly I don't trust those articles I don't think they're very accurate all, have you ever read the signs that girls like you one? I read it out of interest once and I just thought it was nonsense.

I do look out for signs he likes me though, I mean sometimes if we are out drinking or clubbing he'll put him arm around my waist for a few seconds every now and then, things like that.

:lol: That is so ****ing cool

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending