The Student Room Group

Do you honestly believe the world will end one day?

Scientifically speaking

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Yes of course it will. According to science in 5 billion years or so the sun will die and expand causing the world to end. If the world doesn't end then it will surely end when the universe does. At some point the world will definitely end, the question is will it happen due to human means, a natural disaster (e.g. meteorite) or just due to the natural death of the sun or universe.
Reply 2
Yeah - the alternative is that it lasts forever, which unless the world ending is impossible, won't happen since any arbitrarily small probability will occur given enough time.

We could get struck by a meteor, could be the sun going red giant on us, could be we manage to tame the sun and preserve ourselves and make it all the way until collision with Andromeda. But I expect that one day something will happen.
Everything that has a beginning, has to have an end, Ana.
Yup
Reply 5
Pretty depressing stuff for a wednesday morning
Reply 6
yep, sun will eventually engulf the planet
Yes, it will end eventually, but certainly not in the religious apocalyptic way that many people believe.
Yup when the sun gets big and swallows mercury, Venus and Earth
Reply 9
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Yes, it will end eventually, but certainly not in the religious apocalyptic way that many people believe.

I don't know about that tbh as I do think there's a higher power that will control when it ends.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ana81
I don't know about that tbh as I do think there's a higher power that will control when it ends.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whether it be through natural events or divine intervention I think we are all agreed.

It's going to end one day.
Original post by Ana81
Scientifically speaking

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is virtually certain. What is not certain, however, is why you have posted this in chat rather than a more appropriate forum. :grumble:
Reply 12
Depends what you mean by "the world". As many people have said, Earth will be destroyed eventually. There's plenty of time to figure out how to save it though, if we become technologically advanced enough to, say, move it. But the danger is that our technology will be the death of Earth.

As for the universe, I'm not clued up enough to talk about it. I know of the theoretical Big Crunch and also Big Rip, but I couldn't tell you why they might happen.
Reply 13
Original post by Mad Vlad
That is virtually certain. What is not certain, however, is why you have posted this in chat rather than a more appropriate forum. :grumble:

if all thats going to happen is the sun burning out then technically thats not the end of the world, maybe human life but not the world.. and by the time that happens humans could probs adapt to no sun, who knows.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nope, science and tech advance exponentially. It wont be long before we master pretty much everything and one day become a type II civilization. Eventually then type III and beyond..
Reply 15
One day it will end. We just might not be on earth when it happens.
Reply 16
Original post by Mad Vlad

True I can see why this would affect your life *rolls eyes*

Posted from TSR Mobile
the world will end long after all humans have died. According to science, dinosaurs only lasted 140 million years. Us homo sapiens sapiens and their ancestors have existed for 2 million years so far
Original post by Ana81
if all thats going to happen is the sun burning out then technically thats not the end of the world, maybe human life but not the world.. and by the time that happens humans could probs adapt to no sun, who knows.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're not thinking macro enough. Suppose that by some quirk of fate the sun doesn't engulf the Earth in 7 billion years time, there is quite literally nothing to say that from now into infinity that something won't come smashing into Earth and destroy it that way, or any number of far out scenarios. In fact, the longer that we draw out the timeline, the probability of this happening begins to tend towards 1.
Original post by Ana81
True I can see why this would affect your life *rolls eyes*

Posted from TSR Mobile

Chat's a huge problem for us as moderators because people are lazy. It then turns into a dumping ground. So yes, as trivial as you think it may be, it does affect my life, because I have to expend energy clearing up after you, because that's my job.

Quick Reply

Latest