The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Between 3 & 4, I was told.
When I was about 4 and a half.
I think for most kids its between 3 and 4.
When my mum decided that enough was enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think when I was still between 1 and 2. My mum said I was potty trained really early. And never really wet the bed either.
Reply 25
Around 3 during the day but apparently I wore them at night until I was 6!
Reply 26
Sky news recently said that children up to the age of 15 are wearing nappies into school lol.
It really depends on the child.

My daughter was 2 and a quarter when she was daytime potty trained (she started with a potty and later progressed to a toilet), and 3 by the time she was night time trained, but she has an overactive bladder still and incontinence problems (she doesn't feel a build up, she just INSTANTLY needs to go, so if she's not within maybe 5 steps of a toilet, she has a small accident), so she wears Tena pads. She's gonna be 9 in September.

My eldest son was fully dry day and night by a couple of weeks before he turned 3. He never used a potty, he just went straight onto the toilet (using a toilet trainer seat). It took about 3 weeks for the accidents to fully stop. He's gonna be 7 in August.

My third child (male) started potty training when he was about 2 years 9 months. He resisted it at first because we tried him straight onto the toilet, and he was scared of it, so we started using a potty and then he was fine.
It took about a fortnight and he was dry both daytime and nighttime. When he was about 3 he switched from potty to toilet.
He's gonna be 5 in September.

My fourth child (male) hasn't started toilet/potty training yet. He'll be 1 tomorrow.

I wouldn't personally recommend pull-ups at all. I tried them before and I found that the child just treats them like nappies, and it's pretty counter productive. If you're out and about, make sure the child uses the potty/toilet before leaving the house, and if they are using a potty, take one with you. I actually used to cart a potty around in a rucksack with me everywhere we went whilst my kids were using one.

Unless there's a medical problem, I think that it's a good idea to aim for children to be toilet or potty trained before they start nursery (which, for kids getting the 15 hours free funding, is the first term after their 3rd birthday). So certainly by about 3 and a quarter is a good rule of thumb. The last thing you want is to be having to take nappies to nursery, and have some nursery worker dealing with your child in that way.

If parents are sending their children to primary school without them being toilet trained, it really does scream of lazy parenting.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Brann
Thanks, this seems like a good idea. I'll suggest this to my parents. I just think they worry about him peeing on the carpet ext to keep him in pull ups which are basically nappies.

this approach just won't work though. He'll see it as a green light to use the pull ups like nappies.

Your parents are just going to have to buy some carpet cleaning spray and bite the bullet.
Reply 29
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
this approach just won't work though. He'll see it as a green light to use the pull ups like nappies.

Your parents are just going to have to buy some carpet cleaning spray and bite the bullet.

Thank you for your informative post. My parents think its a good idea and are going to take the pull up away this weekend.
When I hit puberty.
Reply 32
An update, their is no progress on the potty training and my parents have put him back into nappies.
Never worn a nappy in my life, man was toilet trained from day one betch
Reply 34
Original post by MASTER265
Never worn a nappy in my life, man was toilet trained from day one betch

I find that hard to believe lol
Original post by Brann
I find that hard to believe lol

In Africa everywhere is the toilet. We do the poo poo everywhere
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
It really depends on the child.

My daughter was 2 and a quarter when she was daytime potty trained (she started with a potty and later progressed to a toilet), and 3 by the time she was night time trained, but she has an overactive bladder still and incontinence problems (she doesn't feel a build up, she just INSTANTLY needs to go, so if she's not within maybe 5 steps of a toilet, she has a small accident), so she wears Tena pads. She's gonna be 9 in September.

My eldest son was fully dry day and night by a couple of weeks before he turned 3. He never used a potty, he just went straight onto the toilet (using a toilet trainer seat). It took about 3 weeks for the accidents to fully stop. He's gonna be 7 in August.

My third child (male) started potty training when he was about 2 years 9 months. He resisted it at first because we tried him straight onto the toilet, and he was scared of it, so we started using a potty and then he was fine.
It took about a fortnight and he was dry both daytime and nighttime. When he was about 3 he switched from potty to toilet.
He's gonna be 5 in September.

My fourth child (male) hasn't started toilet/potty training yet. He'll be 1 tomorrow.

I wouldn't personally recommend pull-ups at all. I tried them before and I found that the child just treats them like nappies, and it's pretty counter productive. If you're out and about, make sure the child uses the potty/toilet before leaving the house, and if they are using a potty, take one with you. I actually used to cart a potty around in a rucksack with me everywhere we went whilst my kids were using one.

Unless there's a medical problem, I think that it's a good idea to aim for children to be toilet or potty trained before they start nursery (which, for kids getting the 15 hours free funding, is the first term after their 3rd birthday). So certainly by about 3 and a quarter is a good rule of thumb. The last thing you want is to be having to take nappies to nursery, and have some nursery worker dealing with your child in that way.

If parents are sending their children to primary school without them being toilet trained, it really does scream of lazy parenting.

Damn you must have a lot of free time to have written so much about kids wearing nappies
2-3
Original post by MASTER265
Damn you must have a lot of free time to have written so much about kids wearing nappies

It's because she has trained three quarters of them and doesn't have to spend so much time wiping there asses.
I was fully potty trained at 2 yrs 6 months. My niece is 2yrs 8 months and she still has some accidents but other than that she is potty trained.

Latest