The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

''Wenger is said to have explained the benefits of joining Arsenal and living in London and Alexis then asked for a few days to think about it. Then he informed his agent ‘within hours’ of the meeting that Arsenal is the team he wanted to join.''

Players love Arsene
Original post by Peggles_*
Don't think they are vilified by the media and have article after article talking about them 'stealing a living'

Please stop pretending you are an Arsenal fan, because you really aren't. The amount of effort you put in keeping up this front is pathetic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh boo hoo get over yourself for **** sake every club thinks there's an agenda vs them how stupid can you be
Original post by Zürich
''Wenger is said to have explained the benefits of joining Arsenal and living in London and Alexis then asked for a few days to think about it. Then he informed his agent ‘within hours’ of the meeting that Arsenal is the team he wanted to join.''

Players love Arsene

Gotta love the thought of Rogers frantically phoning Sanchez's voicemail while Wenger was having a kickabout with the Brazilian ladies on the beach knowing this one was in the bag.
Original post by Zürich

Players love Arsene

I remember Last year George Graham said Arsene has lost his pulling power. In a space of a year he's managed to get Özil and Sanchez.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by De Chirico
Gotta love the thought of Rogers frantically phoning Sanchez's voicemail while Wenger was having a kickabout with the Brazilian ladies on the beach knowing this one was in the bag.

Pfft who wants Sanchez anyways I'd rather Lallana....proven Prem quality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
If Sanchez goes to Arsenal I can't see him wearing a squad number below 18.

btw, his full name is Alexis Alejandro Sánchez Sánchez (if anyone didn't know that) because both his parents share the same surname. the other famous person with a surname like that... is a diver
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Kruz
I remember Last year George Graham said Arsene has lost his pulling power. In a space of a year he's managed to get Özil and Sanchez.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pfft who wants Sanchez anyways I'd rather Lallana....proven Prem quality.

Posted from TSR Mobile

German with Ozil, Spanish with Sanchez. Rodgers was probably trying to lure him with his strong Irish accent lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ozil had a good game yesterday though. Was instrumental in Germany's clinical counter attacking. He did miss a chance at the end but if anyone is still expecting him to be a prolific goalscorer they obviously don't know his game.

I wanna see him pull the trigger more often tho. He can get a lot more goals, a lot more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qwerty_mad
German with Ozil, Spanish with Sanchez. Rodgers was probably trying to lure him with his strong Irish accent lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Rodgers speaks Spanish in fairness

How I imagine Brenton Rodgers' meeting with Sanchez

Did anyone expect ozil to score yesterday? He's become a joke. Wish we'd signed fabregas and just got rid of ozil or told him to accept a lesser role
Ozil has been disappointing tbh. Not as bad as people make out but you expect the press to exaggerate things. I'm hoping Sanchez can take the weight of expectation off Ozils shoulders. He seems to be the type of character that thrives under that kind of pressure whereas Ozil seems like the shy guy who prefers life out of the spotlight. Next season is make or break time for Ozil, no more excuses about needing time to adapt.

I think a lot of what Özil is good at goes unnoticed. He's a magnet, he draws players out of position to create space for others. He's a big part of the reason for Ramsey doing so well this season. He makes people around him better.

I don't think we've been well set up to get the best out of him though due to the lack of pace in our side which should change next season. He's best in a counter attacking side, too often last year we stalled in front of a back 8, we were too slow. Wenger said himself Özil is obsessed with the perfect pass, that is hard when you're faced with two lines of four. He wants to find space between the defence and midfield - I remember when he destroyed England by doing that - but it wasn't there last season. He needs movement in front of him. I agree he's a Robin not a Batman, hopefully Sanchez can hit the ground running for Özil's sake, I'm sure once people have another player to scrutinise Özil will thrive. I don't think he's handled the pressure as well as he could but he needs help on the pitch too, he can't be expected to do it all himself.

People criticising him for last night just come across as moronic. He played the majority of the match in possibly Germany's best ever performance. His pass % was top notch and he almost always looked to go forward. He created a few chances, put players through well and even put a shift in when tracking back. But of course, people will focus on a missed chance when Germany were already 7 up. Özil will be the first to admit finishing isn't his strong point, but even Klose managed to hit the keeper from 6 yards out before getting the rebound, football is full of small margins and the media explode the most trivial of them. His movement and pace to get in that position was excellent, the determination was there even at ~80-90 minutes. He wasn't Germany's best player but they were all excellent. He gets overshadowed by more imposing players, his unselfishness let's others thrive, that's his game. He's not a controller, that is for Khedira/Kroos/Schweinsteiger/Ramsey/Wilshere to do. People need to give him a break, at the moment it is schadenfreude from the media.

#leavebritneyalone
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9930
Pretty fair article which sums up what we all think of mesut.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/worldcup/brazil-vs-germany-world-cup-2014-in-defence-of-mesut-ozil--the-arsenal-midfielder-works-magic-in-the-shadows-9592794.html

Arsene has to share a lot of the blame who the criticism been directed at him hence why a striker is as important as a DM. Should've really got one of higuain or Suarez last summer and none of this will be written.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9931
Original post by baconbutty
i respect that a lot saying it how it is. ozil has been a ****ing flop

Last week you agree that ozil get unfairly criticised. And he's a ****ing flop. Sanchez is already a flop whilst cesc is the greatest.

You'll just say anything so you can **** on arsenal. Yet your fanboys claim that there's a so call mob after you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9932
Original post by EmperorMustard
I think a lot of what Özil is good at goes unnoticed. He's a magnet, he draws players out of position to create space for others. He's a big part of the reason for Ramsey doing so well this season. He makes people around him better.

I don't think we've been well set up to get the best out of him though due to the lack of pace in our side which should change next season. He's best in a counter attacking side, too often last year we stalled in front of a back 8, we were too slow. Wenger said himself Özil is obsessed with the perfect pass, that is hard when you're faced with two lines of four. He wants to find space between the defence and midfield - I remember when he destroyed England by doing that - but it wasn't there last season. He needs movement in front of him. I agree he's a Robin not a Batman, hopefully Sanchez can hit the ground running for Özil's sake, I'm sure once people have another player to scrutinise Özil will thrive. I don't think he's handled the pressure as well as he could but he needs help on the pitch too, he can't be expected to do it all himself.

People criticising him for last night just come across as moronic. He played the majority of the match in possibly Germany's best ever performance. His pass % was top notch and he almost always looked to go forward. He created a few chances, put players through well and even put a shift in when tracking back. But of course, people will focus on a missed chance when Germany were already 7 up. Özil will be the first to admit finishing isn't his strong point, but even Klose managed to hit the keeper from 6 yards out before getting the rebound, football is full of small margins and the media explode the most trivial of them. His movement and pace to get in that position was excellent, the determination was there even at ~80-90 minutes. He wasn't Germany's best player but they were all excellent. He gets overshadowed by more imposing players, his unselfishness let's others thrive, that's his game. He's not a controller, that is for Khedira/Kroos/Schweinsteiger/Ramsey/Wilshere to do. People need to give him a break, at the moment it is schadenfreude from the media.

#leavebritneyalone

Agree here, good post
Original post by EmperorMustard

#leavebritneyalone

Pretty much agree with everything you said. When Ozil got injured for a month or so last season our ball retention and general attacking play dropped off noticeably. People take for granted his ability to always be available for the pass and his intelligence in finding space. It's a damn shame Walcott got that injury last season as there were signs of a great understanding developing between him and Ozil. I remember Ozil putting three chances on a plate for Theo in one game with inch perfect through balls. (that Theo then managed to bottle)
Original post by 419
Last week you agree that ozil get unfairly criticised. And he's a ****ing flop. Sanchez is already a flop whilst cesc is the greatest.

You'll just say anything so you can **** on arsenal. Yet your fanboys claim that there's a so call mob after you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its the same stance I take with giroud I feel they should all get the blame. Ozil has been an absolute disgrace though. Played like a 15m player last season not a 42.5 and has carried it in to the World Cup.

I doubt he'll ever recover his previous form he's just far too weak mentally and isn't a winner and leader like the legend that is Cesc fabregas
Its the same stance I take with giroud I feel they should all get the blame. Ozil has been an absolute disgrace though. Played like a 15m player last season not a 42.5 and has carried it in to the World Cup.

I doubt he'll ever recover his previous form he's just far too weak mentally and isn't a winner and leader like the legend that is Cesc fabregas

If you're going to talk about the World Cup then Cesc's was a complete disaster.
If you're going to talk about the World Cup then Cesc's was a complete disaster.

Ozil wouldn't even be on Spain's bench. Don't go there
Reply 9937
Ozil wouldn't even be on Spain's bench. Don't go there

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1404898391.048478.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
if only it was possible to ban specific users from specific threads
Original post by shawn_o1
if only it was possible to ban specific users from specific threads

No point they'll just make another account. Unless you ban them by IP address if that's possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest