The Student Room Group

Brazil: Is this the end?

I know a lot of people enjoyed Brazil's humiliating defeat last night, but it has left me feeling quite sad. This is a team I grew up adoring, the yellow shirts and blue shorts representing football being played in the "right way", regardless of the tactics adopted by their often violent opponents.

Brazil are to the World Cup what the likes of Real Madrid are to the European Cup/Champions League and watching the game last night felt like a very, very long and enjoyable era coming crashing to an end.

Players like Pele and Ronaldo have cemented their place in history and this team has done the same, except for all the wrong reasons.

I think it will take Brazil a very long time to get anywhere near to the teams I used to enjoy watching so much and I have my doubts as to whether they ever will.

What do others think? Is this just a poor generation of Brazilian footballers, or will this once great nation become an international alsoran?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
ITT: overreact.

End of what exactly? They've been **** for years now in all honesty. Semi is for this squad an overachievement.

Also they're not entitled to winning the every WC. Hopefully they don't win one again in my lifetime.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by 419
ITT: overreact.

End of what exactly?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why not answer the question? The end of Brazil being a force at international level, obviously.
Reply 4
Original post by pane123
Why not answer the question? The end of Brazil being a force at international level, obviously.

That is an overreaction. They reached the semis. Best 4 teams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Since Brazilian players started playing abroad in numbers the Brazil side got poorer and poorer.
Reply 6
Original post by pane123
I know a lot of people enjoyed Brazil's humiliating defeat last night, but it has left me feeling quite sad. This is a team I grew up adoring, the yellow shirts and blue shorts representing football being played in the "right way", regardless of the tactics adopted by their often violent opponents.

Brazil are to the World Cup what the likes of Real Madrid are to the European Cup/Champions League and watching the game last night felt like a very, very long and enjoyable era coming crashing to an end.

Players like Pele and Ronaldo have cemented their place in history and this team has done the same, except for all the wrong reasons.

I think it will take Brazil a very long time to get anywhere near to the teams I used to enjoy watching so much and I have my doubts as to whether they ever will.

What do others think? Is this just a poor generation of Brazilian footballers, or will this once great nation become an international alsoran?

We all knew before this game that this Brazil squad wasn't very good. They have only 2 world class players. Are you asking if it is possible they will have good players again in the future? If so then yes, they can (and probably will.)
Also this would not have happened with Thiago Silva in the backline stopping David Luiz and Marcelo from being (as) stupid.
Reply 7
Original post by 419
That is an overreaction. They reached the semis. Best 4 teams.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not an overreaction. Semi finals or not, their performances at this World Cup have signified a massive departure from the style with which they used to play.
Original post by pane123

Because it is a well known fact that as soon as a team has a bad squad they can never have a good one again! Obviously it's not the end of Brazil, asking if they're dropping from an international level after being humiliated by a far better team when down their best players is like asking if England will ever win: not happening any time soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by scotttb
We all knew before this game that this Brazil squad wasn't very good. They have only 2 world class players. Are you asking if it is possible they will have good players again in the future? If so then yes, they can (and probably will.)
Also this would not have happened with Thiago Silva in the backline stopping David Luiz and Marcelo from being (as) stupid.

Yes, this is what I mean. I watch Brazilian football and the level is getting poorer and poorer. We all saw how bad Fred is, yet he has managed 62 goals in 96 league games in Brazil.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by pane123
It's not an overreaction. Semi finals or not, their performances at this World Cup have signified a massive departure from the style with which they used to play.

Been that way since 2006 when dunga took over. And the change of style is actually an acceptance of reality and to keep Brazil relevant.

Still don't see how reaching the semi finals of a World Cup with a fairly average squad can be suggested as a failure even for a team of Brazils standard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by 419
Been that way since 2004 when dunga took over. And the change of style is actually an acceptance of reality and to keep Brazil relevant.

Still don't see how reaching the semi finals of a World Cup with a fairly average squad can be suggested as a failure even for a team of Brazils standard.

Because they lost 7-1 and the game was over after 23 minutes. The fact is that Brazil are expected to play in a certain way and they didn't even come close to doing so.
Brazil have a weak squad with few promising prospects but there's little point romanticizing their football or exaggerating what will happen in the future. It's a huge country with a long history of producing quality players. This is just a blip.
Reply 13
Original post by pane123
Because they lost 7-1 and the game was over after 23 minutes. The fact is that Brazil are expected to play in a certain way and they didn't even come close to doing so.

Really? I didn't know that.

Bad day at the office that what it is. If they play Germany tomorrow with same team, they'll lose but won't lose 7-1. People just love overreacting to things. That result doesn't make this Brazil team any worse. End of an era in terms of players but that's it. They're still be a force in the next copa and WC.

Your last sentence is the arrogance I'm talking about. The same arrogance that expects Brazil to win every ****ing thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
There main reason Brazil got pumped last night was because of David Luiz. He had two jobs, one of them was being a centre back and the other taking up the captaincy. From the start of the game he went off on his ridiculous runs to the other side of the pitch leaving the defence vulnerable. On top of that, Marcelo was pretty much playing as a left winger which meant that Dante, Silva's replacement and Maicon were left to fend for themselves. Luiz should have told him to stay back and defend, especially after they went a goal down. Luiz himself should have also stopped acting like he's a better player than he is and stayed back in his own position.

Bernard was awful. Had to replace Neymar but he just doesn't have any sort of physical presence. Schweinsteiger and Khedira absolutely dominated him.

Hulk is awful, how he is valued at £40m+ I have no idea and Fred is horrendous as well.

The thing is, Germany aren't even a complete team yet. They lack a 'world class' striker, Muller is more of an attacking midfielder for me and Klose is obviously past his best (although he's still doing well). If Germany had a striker of Neymar's calibre, they'd have put 15 past Brazil yesterday.
Reply 15
Original post by 419
Really? I didn't know that.

Bad day at the office that what it is. If the play Germany tomorrow with same team, they'll lose but won't lose 7-1. People just love overreacting to things. That result doesn't make this Brazil team any worse. End of an era in terms of players but that's it. They're still be a force in the next copa and WC.

Your last sentence is the arrogance I'm talking about. The same arrogance that expects Brazil to win every ****ing thing.

There is no arrogance in my sentence. In fact, you are the only one displaying any arrogance. I didn't expect them to win, but I didn't expect them to be as dirty as they were against Columbia and display such ineptitude. Certain teams have certain principles and arrogance has nothing to do with it.

Brazil could well have been out before the semis without "help" from officials and at no point were they enjoyable to watch in the way previous Brazil teams have been. Brazil had absolutely everything going for them in this World Cup and it has ended in the most disappointing manner.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by pane123

Please. When Brazil don't have an incredible team they play nasty, nasty football. Look what happened in the 1974 world cup, brutal fouls and cheating. 40 years later, we had the same. Diving for penalties and cynical fouls. Brazil have never been a team for the purists, when they played great football it was because they had great players. Take that away and they're as cynical and violent as anyone.

Original post by Old_Simon
Since Brazilian players started playing abroad in numbers the Brazil side got poorer and poorer.

I don't think staying in Brazil is a recipe for success. The Brazilian players from this squad who play in Brazil are Jefferson, Fred, Jo and Victor.

In 1994, 1998 and 2002 when they reached 3 consecutive finals, their best players all played in Europe.

I think the issue for Brazil is quite simply that the players they have produced aren't as good as the ones in the past. It happens, the 1974-78 and 1986-90 teams were nothing special.
Sometimes you need to hit rock bottom to start again

Brazil is a country of 200m football obsessed people, they'll be back in 2022 I'll bet.

Personally Brazil have never done it for me anyway, and the expectations of their fans grates me. Germany have a wonderful history too but they've always been fully aware that they have no right to win and must earn respect. Brazilians crying before the game as if this was some kind of destiny was cringeworthy.

Glad Germany gave them a proper spanking.

---
Brazil havent played nice football in any of the 3 last world cups anyway, in fact they've been very ordinary for years.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Old_Simon

Why would staying in an awful league help them? This is a league where Fred gets 20-30 goals a season.

They just don't have a good team right now, it's as simple as that. I don't know how their great teams of the past formed, but they're certainly not doing what Spain and Germany are doing in terms of youth development, so why would anyone expect them to be successful? If you don't do that, then you just have to get lucky with the players that do come through.
One bad game doesn't equal an end of brazilian football...stop overreacting.
The issue with Brazil is that people expect them to play a certain way and always compare them to the teams of the past. Worldwide, they are probably one of the best supported teams, especially in asia, and they are always subject to high expectations unlike teams like England. This current squad isn't as good as the squads of the past and the managers tactics have put many off the brazilian side, but I think it's just a blip and they'll recover. They may never reach their former glory but eh,you can't have everything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest