The Student Room Group

Advice to my fresher self

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous #2
Not really relevant to the thread but I don't think my questions warrant a thread of their own :tongue:
1. Is it normal to turn up to societies on your own? i.e without coursemates or flatmates.
2. When sports teams/societies say they're open to all abilities, are they really or will I look like a complete nob trying to play something for the first time?

1. Yeah, it's absolutely fine to do that. I have terrible social anxiety so it was a little terrifying for me to do that, but I joined 2 societies which, not only did it not have anyone on my course or from my flat in, I was also the only person from my campus. And one of those societies gave me most of the best nights of the year. It may seem intimidating, but it's also a cool way to expand your friend group outside of what you may encounter elsewhere.
2. I can't speak for all societies, as I imagine it depends on the place you go and the people in the society. In my experience though, most of them are open to complete beginners. University is a time to have fun and try new things that you may never have been exposed to before. Maybe try and talk to someone from the society if you get the chance, just to check. Other than that, go for it :biggrin:
Original post by Anonymous #2
Not really relevant to the thread but I don't think my questions warrant a thread of their own :tongue:
1. Is it normal to turn up to societies on your own? i.e without coursemates or flatmates.
2. When sports teams/societies say they're open to all abilities, are they really or will I look like a complete nob trying to play something for the first time?

I can barely skate and 100% am going to join the Ice Hockey Team the second I can and I don't care how long it takes me I will play for them.

I don't know a soul starting with me or doing my course at Uni, so I'll be going on my own as well.
Original post by Natti337
1. Yeah, it's absolutely fine to do that. I have terrible social anxiety so it was a little terrifying for me to do that, but I joined 2 societies which, not only did it not have anyone on my course or from my flat in, I was also the only person from my campus. And one of those societies gave me most of the best nights of the year. It may seem intimidating, but it's also a cool way to expand your friend group outside of what you may encounter elsewhere.
2. I can't speak for all societies, as I imagine it depends on the place you go and the people in the society. In my experience though, most of them are open to complete beginners. University is a time to have fun and try new things that you may never have been exposed to before. Maybe try and talk to someone from the society if you get the chance, just to check. Other than that, go for it :biggrin:

Original post by Daniel9510
I can barely skate and 100% am going to join the Ice Hockey Team the second I can and I don't care how long it takes me I will play for them.

I don't know a soul starting with me or doing my course at Uni, so I'll be going on my own as well.

Good for you! I'm the same with tennis.
I don't know anyone going to my uni either, don't even know anybody who has applied apart from the people in a Facebook group.
Great thread, subbed.
I don't know if this is relevant but what exactly is fresher's week? And what kind of societies are there?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Thistle!
I don't know if this is relevant but what exactly is fresher's week? And what kind of societies are there?

Posted from TSR Mobile

As well as providing a chance to learn about the university, Freshers' week allows students to become familiar with the representatives of their Student Union and to get to know the city or town which is home to the university, often through some form of pub crawl.

Typically a Freshers' Fair for student clubs and societies is included as part of the activities to introduce new students to facilities on offer, typically outside their course of study, such as societies, clubs and sports. The various societies and clubs available within the University have stalls and aim to entice freshers to join.
Original post by Kay(:
Any advice for a fresher thats commuting and doesnt like drinking/partying? Im so nervous :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess join some societies and go events that your department/course might host
Original post by Lucilou101
As well as providing a chance to learn about the university, Freshers' week allows students to become familiar with the representatives of their Student Union and to get to know the city or town which is home to the university, often through some form of pub crawl.

Typically a Freshers' Fair for student clubs and societies is included as part of the activities to introduce new students to facilities on offer, typically outside their course of study, such as societies, clubs and sports. The various societies and clubs available within the University have stalls and aim to entice freshers to join.

What does a pub crawl involve? I don't want to spend my freshers week with rowdy idiots who over hype things. I wouldn't mind if they were more calm in the pub though :smile:
Original post by Guren
What does a pub crawl involve? I don't want to spend my freshers week with rowdy idiots who over hype things. I wouldn't mind if they were more calm in the pub though :smile:

Generally, it involves lots of drinking, travelling from pub to pub around the area. Often including clubs and bars etc

They're not compulsory though, so feel free to spend your time however you like! :smile:
Original post by Lucilou101
Generally, it involves lots of drinking, travelling from pub to pub around the area. Often including clubs and bars etc

They're not compulsory though, so feel free to spend your time however you like! :smile:

You went to them? :biggrin:
What else can you do there?
Original post by Guren
You went to them? :biggrin:
What else can you do there?

I start uni this year so not yet :P

How do you mean?
Original post by Guren

Pub crawl is going from one pub/bar to another and then usually ending up in a club completely wasted.
If you don't like rowdy people, you might want to give pub crawls a miss until you establish a group of friends who are calmer that you can chill with while there.
Amazing thread! Such great advice and i'll be taking so of them on board!
Reply 53
Maybe a bit of a stupid question but I was wondering whether people make notes on paper or do they often take laptops to make notes on which is easier in my opinion? :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
Join a society and ting.
Original post by Annii
Maybe a bit of a stupid question but I was wondering whether people make notes on paper or do they often take laptops to make notes on which is easier in my opinion? :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

People do both. I like to make notes on paper because I find it easier to draw diagrams and add things on or whatever
10p noodles are not a staple diet.
Original post by Guren

Involves people going from pub to pub/bar/club getting rowdy and as drunk as possible.
Reply 58
Original post by Annii

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hah was thinking exactly the same!!
Reply 59
1st year does count for something. The 'as long as I get 40% and pass' mentality is stupid. Go to lectures and seminars, put in the hours and do the work. What you learn in 1st year is important. The course content in 1st year is the foundation for the rest of the two years and if you don't know or understand any of it you will be screwed for the upcoming years. You can still do all of this whilst maintaining a good social life.

Quick Reply

Latest