The Student Room Group

No tuition fee loan or grant :S

I'm just about to get my entitlement letter (I've read the e-letter version) and it says I'm only entitled to a maintenance loan.

Now I have been to uni before, I did a year 0 and started my first term of the degree but left after the January exams. There and then I had to pay back some money and never heard anymore of it.

I'm now going to university this September for a 4 year Biomedical Science degree at Dundee. My fees are capped at £27000 so 3 years worth of fees. I've been told you get 4 years of finance so if I've already used 1 year up, and my course tuition is capped at 3, why am I not being funded this year? If it ends up, I have to take out a bank loan to cover this years £9000 and then they finance the next 3 years for me, my course will have totalled the full £36000.

On top of that, I'm getting no maintenance grant even though I'm in a household of approx. £25000 a year.

Totally baffled as to why this is the way it is. I'm waiting for the arrival of the hard copy letter before ringing up student finance but even if tuition gets sorted, only having the maintenance loan leaves me in a sorry state for actually living. (aproox. £100 to last from sept-jan) :frown:
Reply 1
Original post by TeamFTW
I'm just about to get my entitlement letter (I've read the e-letter version) and it says I'm only entitled to a maintenance loan.

Now I have been to uni before, I did a year 0 and started my first term of the degree but left after the January exams. There and then I had to pay back some money and never heard anymore of it.

I'm now going to university this September for a 4 year Biomedical Science degree at Dundee. My fees are capped at £27000 so 3 years worth of fees. I've been told you get 4 years of finance so if I've already used 1 year up, and my course tuition is capped at 3, why am I not being funded this year? If it ends up, I have to take out a bank loan to cover this years £9000 and then they finance the next 3 years for me, my course will have totalled the full £36000.

On top of that, I'm getting no maintenance grant even though I'm in a household of approx. £25000 a year.

Totally baffled as to why this is the way it is. I'm waiting for the arrival of the hard copy letter before ringing up student finance but even if tuition gets sorted, only having the maintenance loan leaves me in a sorry state for actually living. (aproox. £100 to last from sept-jan) :frown:

Something else must have gone wrong/there must be another reason. I did six months of a degree and then left. I am starting a Zoology degree with a foundation year in September and am getting full student finance (tuition fee loan, maintenance loan and grant), so you should be entitled to all of that too. The best thing you can do is ring them tomorrow, you don't need to wait for the hard copy as it will be exactly the same.
Reply 2
Original post by xlizx
Something else must have gone wrong/there must be another reason. I did six months of a degree and then left. I am starting a Zoology degree with a foundation year in September and am getting full student finance (tuition fee loan, maintenance loan and grant), so you should be entitled to all of that too. The best thing you can do is ring them tomorrow, you don't need to wait for the hard copy as it will be exactly the same.

According to the guy on the phone, since I did a term, it counts as a whole year (even though it was back when fees were £3000), therefore I've used up 2 years of funding so they'll fund me for 3 but not including this first year. Worst part is he says that maintenance grant entitlement is linked to tuition fee entitlement which means my application wasn't even allowed to be considered for it.

At this point, I don't even know if I can go to university anymore, because I don't have over 10 grand to randomly pull out of thin air, since the maintenance loan isn't even going to cover my first term of rent + the debt I'm already in from the deposit.

When I asked him what options I have to deal with this, he said the only thing I could do was ring my old university and claim exceptional circumstances for my reason for leaving which would require proof and basically attempt to get out of that 1 year of extra funding used.

:frown:
Reply 3
Original post by TeamFTW
According to the guy on the phone, since I did a term, it counts as a whole year (even though it was back when fees were £3000), therefore I've used up 2 years of funding so they'll fund me for 3 but not including this first year. Worst part is he says that maintenance grant entitlement is linked to tuition fee entitlement which means my application wasn't even allowed to be considered for it.

At this point, I don't even know if I can go to university anymore, because I don't have over 10 grand to randomly pull out of thin air, since the maintenance loan isn't even going to cover my first term of rent + the debt I'm already in from the deposit.

When I asked him what options I have to deal with this, he said the only thing I could do was ring my old university and claim exceptional circumstances for my reason for leaving which would require proof and basically attempt to get out of that 1 year of extra funding used.

:frown:

Oh I didn't realise you had done a year AND a term. Ah sorry that really sucks :frown: I guess the only thing you can really do it try and get the university to let you claim exceptional circumstances, or look for other funding, I don't know if you would be eligible for a carer development loan (I think it may be for vocational courses but check it out) good luck I hope you managed to sort this out
Reply 4
Original post by xlizx
Oh I didn't realise you had done a year AND a term. Ah sorry that really sucks :frown: I guess the only thing you can really do it try and get the university to let you claim exceptional circumstances, or look for other funding, I don't know if you would be eligible for a carer development loan (I think it may be for vocational courses but check it out) good luck I hope you managed to sort this out

Yeah, it was a bit of a late decision on my behalf.

I rang up the university afterwards who confirmed that there really is only 3 years of fees because they fund the 4th and final year themselves, which means the guy on the phone was totally wrong on that. So it's still all up in the air.

With only 3 years of fees, whilst I'm eligible for 3 years of funding, this SHOULD work out, but I just don't know what's going to happen now. Waiting to hear back from the university in the next day or so, as they're going to speak to SLC about my situation and their apparent lack of communication with the university. :bricks: What a mess lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending