The Student Room Group

Should teachers be banned from striking?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by slg60
I think my qualm was more with that fact that you said perhaps they should do something more useful than teach kids.

Also you say 2.1 like it is bad when it is an excellent result.

Well they should, as important as teaching kids is, there are more important things for society to use the skills of someone with a 1st in Maths from Oxford.

Well its an alright result, most people get a 2.i or 1st. It can't be 'excellent' if more than half of people who go to uni get one. I myself only scrapped one with a 60.5% average - so if I make it sound bad then I'm one of the people who got a bad grade.

I used a 2.i from Durham as its a great degree, very well qualified in maths. But a 2.i isn't a 1st and Durham isn't Oxford.

By 'qualm' do you mean 'irrational anger'? :P
Without strikes teachers would be stepped on every chance the government gets.
Reply 82
Original post by Quady
Well they should, as important as teaching kids is, there are more important things for society to use the skills of someone with a 1st in Maths from Oxford.

Well its an alright result, most people get a 2.i or 1st. It can't be 'excellent' if more than half of people who go to uni get one. I myself only scrapped one with a 60.5% average - so if I make it sound bad then I'm one of the people who got a bad grade.

I used a 2.i from Durham as its a great degree, very well qualified in maths. But a 2.i isn't a 1st and Durham isn't Oxford.

By 'qualm' do you mean 'irrational anger'? :P

I mean uneasy feelings but good job googleing :wink:

How can more than half of people get a 1st or 2.1 when it goes 1st 2.1 2.2 3rd pass and fail that is ridiculous.
Go on strikers- pay increments have stopped in the last few years, 1% pay rise in the last few years which is well below the rise in the cost of living, pensions affected, constantly crapped on whilst those at the top of the chain continue to claim loads in expenses and enjoy rises in wages. You might say 'choose a job with better pay' but if everyone does just that the education system will be screwed.
Original post by TSA
Of course it's an issue of greed. If you are being paid more than minimum wage it's more than enough money to buy the necessities and live.

Where do you draw the line one day of strikes okay? Two? One week? One month? There is no need to cause unnecessary disruption due to greed.

Teachers, the people who educate our children and provide for the next generation, are greedy for demanding a decent, living wage and working conditions while the sociopathic, narcissistic tyrants at the top that plunder our pensions and siphon tax money to fill their vaults are presumably saints with our best interests at heart?

If so, you are a living example of why the future will be a boot stamping on the human face forever.
Reply 85
Original post by slg60
I mean uneasy feelings but good job googleing :wink:

How can more than half of people get a 1st or 2.1 when it goes 1st 2.1 2.2 3rd pass and fail that is ridiculous.

Googling? dunno what you mean.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10557068
Reply 86
Original post by Shefflibs
Go on strikers- pay increments have stopped in the last few years, 1% pay rise in the last few years which is well below the rise in the cost of living, pensions affected, constantly crapped on whilst those at the top of the chain continue to claim loads in expenses and enjoy rises in wages. You might say 'choose a job with better pay' but if everyone does just that the education system will be screwed.

Teachers have had their increments stopped?!? Gotta source?

How comes nurses still get theirs? :s-smilie:
Original post by Moosferatu
Teachers, the people who educate our children and provide for the next generation, are greedy for demanding a decent, living wage and working conditions while the sociopathic, narcissistic tyrants at the top that plunder our pensions and siphon tax money to fill their vaults are presumably saints with our best interests at heart?

If so, you are a living example of why the future will be a boot stamping on the human face forever.

Yes they are saints. :rolleyes:

When exactly did I imply they are saints again?

Everybody is greedy. Everybody works in their own self interest. Welcome to reality.
Reply 88
Original post by Quady
Googling? dunno what you mean.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10557068

you said : "By 'qualm' do you mean 'irrational anger'?" I assume that you googled that considering no one uses qualm to mean that anymore.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 89
Original post by slg60
you said :By 'qualm' do you mean 'irrational anger'? I assume that you googled that considering no one uses qualm to mean that anymore.

Nope. I just thought 'qualm' was a very calm way of describing yout thinking compared to the post you initially replied with. Did it used to mean that...? :s-smilie:

And as per the link, very very few people fail or get a third, and a fair few but not hoards get a 2.ii.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 90
Original post by Quady
How comes nurses still get theirs? :s-smilie:

They don't.
Reply 91
Original post by n00
They don't.

No?

Sounds like half of NHS staff do, presuming half are at the top of their band?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-27822660
Reply 92
Reply 93
Original post by Quady
No?

Sounds like half of NHS staff do, presuming half are at the top of their band?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-27822660

Well thats not nurses getting theirs now is it.
Reply 94
Original post by n00
Well thats not nurses getting theirs now is it.

So you didn't read:
'Speaking at the union's annual conference, he said the decision in March to only give 1% to those who did not get that sum in progression-in-the-job increases'

Actually the Royal College of Nurses pay award page explains it more clearly:
http://www.rcn.org.uk/support/pay_and_conditions/pay_rates_2014-15

'What the 2014-15 pay announcement means for England

The Agenda for Change pay scales for 2014/15 in England are nearly identical to those for 2013-14.

Staff who are on the top point of their pay band receive a one per cent non-consolidated payment paid over 12 months from April 2014. This means it is given as an additional sum, and is not be added on to hourly rates or count for unsocial hours or overtime payments.

Staff who are not on the top point do not receive this one per cent pay rise, but do continue to have access to incremental points ie they will move to the next point in the pay band during 2014-15 providing that they satisfactorily perform during the year.'
Original post by n00
They don't.

They still do at the moment, though the government seem to want to do their most to stop us getting them.
Reply 96
Original post by Quady
So you didn't read

:yawn:

Already have ta.

You'd have been just as correct if you had asked "How comes nurses don't get theirs?"
Reply 97
Original post by n00
:yawn:

Already have ta.

You'd have been just as correct if you had asked "How comes nurses don't get theirs?"

Yet according to the Royal College of Nurses and moonkatt in post 96 they do...?
Reply 98
Original post by Quady
Nope. I just thought 'qualm' was a very calm way of describing yout thinking compared to the post you initially replied with. Did it used to mean that...? :s-smilie:

And as per the link, very very few people fail or get a third, and a fair few but not hoards get a 2.ii.

I don't think that I was even remotely aggressive just a sigh and disappointment at the human race.
Reply 99
Original post by Quady
Yet according to the Royal College of Nurses they do...?

No, some do. Did you read it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending