The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm interested in NatSci (physics) but I will have taken 3 years to do Maths and Physics - does this disqualify entry for me?
Original post by AwesomeSauce#1
Thank for your answer to my previous question.

I just thought of another one which is:
When applying for computer science, Is chemistry taken into account when calculating the average from the 3 most relevant ( out of Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry) because out of all of my subjects i have the least faith in Chemistry (i dont think ive done amazingly well in it.)

Yes, because Maths and FM modules are all combined into a single Maths average. Within the 3 scores, however, we would look moost closely at Maths and Physics for a Comp Sci applicant.
Original post by Christ's Admissions
Yes, because Maths and FM modules are all combined into a single Maths average. Within the 3 scores, however, we would look moost closely at Maths and Physics for a Comp Sci applicant.

Thanks very much. :smile:
Original post by Ki Yung Na
I'm interested in NatSci (physics) but I will have taken 3 years to do Maths and Physics - does this disqualify entry for me?

No, you won't be disqualified for entry. Did you take modules in Years 11, 12 & 13 or in Years 12, 13 & [14]?
Given your circumstances, I think we would look sympathetically at your application providing you reach the required standard. That said, applying Post A-Level with one A* is always problematic as there will always be people with better results/who will go and get better results than that.

Thank you, so if I were to get more than A*AA and send great essays and my personal statement/reference etc is considered excellent, do you think I would have as a good chance as many? :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
This is my last question, I promise!

For gap year students who apply(post A Level), would you still look into their AS ums and A2 ums? or since they already have the grades, you wouldn't care as much?
No, you won't be disqualified for entry. Did you take modules in Years 11, 12 & 13 or in Years 12, 13 & [14]?

12, 13 and 14.
I have Aspergers and in yr 12 a lot of things changed - I struggled to cope with those difficulties. This year was fine and I only found out I had Aspergers after visiting a doctor who diagnosed me with it but I'm unaware if this situation counts as extenuating or appears as just an excuse. My gcse' are probably below Cambridge average (4a*,6a,1b) as well and from my school only 3 people (from my knowledge) have been to Cambridge in the last 3 years.
(edited 9 years ago)
Sorry to bombard you with questions but I just wanted to ask what hasn't been asked already, namely the following:

1. If I was to apply for deferred entry, how much of a disadvantage would I be at? I want to apply for English, for which, according to the website, there are roughly 4 applicants per place, giving (roughly) a 25% chance of admission. Would the chance of me getting an offer drop if I applied for deferred entry?

2. Would I be disadvantaged by writing a personal statement tailored to a Joint Honours course (English and History) if I was applying to Cambridge for single honours English?

3. My GCSEs aren't great compared to the Cambridge average (no extenuating circumstances, just a **** work ethic in Year 10/11), but if in my teacher reference they mentioned that my results did not reflect my true ability, would this make up for it slightly?

4. Do you consider the importance of the subjects that Arts applicants gain their best UMS scores in? I do 5 AS levels, three of which (Gov. and Politics, Psychology and Creative Writing) aren't as 'academic' as the others, but I think I'm likely to get my best UMS scores in these. Am I disadvantaged?

Thank you so much in advance; I'm sorry that my questions were so long and predictable!
Sorry I've got another question:tongue:

I saw that A Level Maths and FM modules are combined into one - does it mean they are seen as one A Level for those who are not applying for Mathematics or a maths-based course? I would also like to know how Cambridge views Arts applicants taking Maths and Further Maths, provided that they take the essential subjects for the course as well. I myself am hoping to study History at uni and I'm taking Maths and FM (my other subject choices for Pre-U are History, Theology and Economics). I'm particularly interested in economic history:smile:

Thank you very much!!!:fluffy::flower:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by p.formanko
Thank you for the very helpful and quick reply!

So if I were to let a computer choose my college for me (and I get allocated to, for example, Jesus college) but I want to change to Christ's (or any other college) would this be possible?

If, say, I weren't able to come to any open days (or only one or two) is there any other way of establishing a view of all the different colleges, to help me choose which one?
(If my question isn't phrased correctly, what I mean is, is there a way on deciding which college to go to without actually being present on campus?)

Many thanks again :smile:

Should definitely pick Pembroke or St.John's; they are so nice :tongue:
Hi there, in your circumstances it would be best to continue with Physics as it is more relevant to Chem Eng than Biology. It's good that you are doing plenty of Mech modules in Maths and FM but it would still be useful for you to have Physics as well.

Sorry for late reply, thank you for answering my question. Helped me greatly in deciding on what to do, since im self studying the AS further maths, would it be useful to mention it in my ps as long as i state why that makes me a good candidate?
Original post by AlexKay99
Thank you, so if I were to get more than A*AA and send great essays and my personal statement/reference etc is considered excellent, do you think I would have as a good chance as many? :smile:

Yes, you would.
Original post by Toxic_Legends
This is my last question, I promise!

For gap year students who apply(post A Level), would you still look into their AS ums and A2 ums? or since they already have the grades, you wouldn't care as much?

It's ok, there isn't a limit to the nuumber of questions! :smile:

Yes, we still look very closely at their UMS for both AS and A2 and not just at grades.
Original post by Ki Yung Na
12, 13 and 14.
I have Aspergers and in yr 12 a lot of things changed - I struggled to cope with those difficulties. This year was fine and I only found out I had Aspergers after visiting a doctor who diagnosed me with it but I'm unaware if this situation counts as extenuating or appears as just an excuse. My gcse' are probably below Cambridge average (4a*,6a,1b) as well and from my school only 3 people (from my knowledge) have been to Cambridge in the last 3 years.

Right, having Aspergers, especially with a late diagnosis, certainly counts as extenuating circumstances and your school should fill the form in. This will help to contextualise your performance at GCSE and A Level. Please do not think that we would regard it merely as an 'excuse'.
Sorry, another question! I do appreciate your answers.

How difficult is it to change subject within the Arts faculty after the first year? Obviously switching subject is far from ideal and would be a last resort, but if a student was doing badly/not enjoying the first year, would they be allowed to change to a relevant subject - e.g. an English student changing to History?

I've heard all sorts of rumours - that it's possible, that it's not possible etc etc. A relative of mine attended Cambridge (admittedly quite a while ago) and changed from Maths to Computer Science after the first year, although this was through the Science faculty.
Original post by League_Masters
Sorry for late reply, thank you for answering my question. Helped me greatly in deciding on what to do, since im self studying the AS further maths, would it be useful to mention it in my ps as long as i state why that makes me a good candidate?

You are welcome, I am glad it is helpful, that's my aim! :smile:

Yes, it would be useful to mention that somewhere, either in your PS or in the SAQ form either in the box about teaching difficulties or when it asks you if your school allowed you to take all the subjects you wanted.
Original post by perflous
Sorry to bombard you with questions but I just wanted to ask what hasn't been asked already, namely the following:

1. If I was to apply for deferred entry, how much of a disadvantage would I be at? I want to apply for English, for which, according to the website, there are roughly 4 applicants per place, giving (roughly) a 25% chance of admission. Would the chance of me getting an offer drop if I applied for deferred entry?

2. Would I be disadvantaged by writing a personal statement tailored to a Joint Honours course (English and History) if I was applying to Cambridge for single honours English?

3. My GCSEs aren't great compared to the Cambridge average (no extenuating circumstances, just a **** work ethic in Year 10/11), but if in my teacher reference they mentioned that my results did not reflect my true ability, would this make up for it slightly?

4. Do you consider the importance of the subjects that Arts applicants gain their best UMS scores in? I do 5 AS levels, three of which (Gov. and Politics, Psychology and Creative Writing) aren't as 'academic' as the others, but I think I'm likely to get my best UMS scores in these. Am I disadvantaged?

Thank you so much in advance; I'm sorry that my questions were so long and predictable!

It's fine to bombard with questions, don't worry!

1) In nearly all subjects there is no disadvantage to making a deferred application. if we think you are good enough for that year, we will make you an offer for the following year. The two excceptions are Maths and English. The Maths faculty has produced a helpful guide concerning which colleges do and do not encourage GAP years but the English faculty has not. Some Directors of Studies (DoS) prefer not to make deferred offers in English because, due to way English is taught in college supervisions, they think it is important to try to ensure a good balance across the cohort. Others do not focus on this and think it will sort itself out. I can't tell you which college does what in this regard because it is down to the individual DoS and I don't know them all. All I can say is that at Christ's, we are very happy to accept deferred entry applicants for English and treat them the same as immediate entry candidates.

2) No, we would, of course, notice it but lots of candidates have a hard time chooisng between English and History. You should, however, use the additional PS box on the SAQ to discuss why you want to do single honours History at Cambridge.

3) What would make up for it more is a very strong performance in AS Level. That would show us that you were now performing at your true level even more than comments by your teachers

4) We obviously look at all your AS module scores but the best predicotr for performance at Cambridge is best three UMS average regardless of which subject they are in. That sad, if your overall average was, say 92, but your English was 85, then, if you were applying for English, I think you would be in a weaker position than someone with a best three average of 92 but with English at 95.

5) To answer your other post about changing tripos (course), this is done by one or two students in every college every year. Changing tripos needs to be done with the approval of both directors of studies (in the subject you are leaving and the one you are entering) and the timing of it would need to be carefully managed. It is generally best to change tripos between Parts I and II of the degree. Both English and History have a two-year Part I, with exams held at the end of the second year covering booth first and second year. That would, therefore, be the natural point at which to switch into another subject if you wished.

I hope all of that is hekpful, do feel free to come back if you need more clarification/have other questions.
Original post by WinterWind
Sorry I've got another question:tongue:

I saw that A Level Maths and FM modules are combined into one - does it mean they are seen as one A Level for those who are not applying for Mathematics or a maths-based course? I would also like to know how Cambridge views Arts applicants taking Maths and Further Maths, provided that they take the essential subjects for the course as well. I myself am hoping to study History at uni and I'm taking Maths and FM (my other subject choices for Pre-U are History, Theology and Economics). I'm particularly interested in economic history:smile:

Thank you very much!!!:fluffy::flower:

That's ok, no problem! Maths and FM are regarded as two separate A Levels when making offers but as one when calculating averages. This is because people take different Maths modules at diffferent points and in different combinations so it makes sense to treat them all as one.

In general, Maths and FM are considered good, strong A Levels for tose taking Arts and Humanities courses and if you are interested in economic history then they are definitely good things to have done. Historians need to be able to count! :smile:
That's ok, no problem! Maths and FM are regarded as two separate A Levels when making offers but as one when calculating averages. This is because people take different Maths modules at diffferent points and in different combinations so it makes sense to treat them all as one.

In general, Maths and FM are considered good, strong A Levels for tose taking Arts and Humanities courses and if you are interested in economic history then they are definitely good things to have done. Historians need to be able to count! :smile:

Thank you very much for your patience and help!:biggrin:
Original post by WinterWind
Thank you very much for your patience and help!:biggrin:

You are welcome! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending