The Student Room Group

What stationary do I need and how to be organised in sixth form?

Basically I'm starting sixth form in September and I'm buying stationary now whilst I have time.
Anyway the courses I'm taking are: History, Classical Civilisation, Sociology and ICT. I'm buying the obvious like pens, pencils, folders etc. However I don't really want to take 4 folders to college every day so has anyone got a better way to taking notes etc. To and from college. I was thinking taking a plastic wallet instead and leaving the folders at home so it wont be as heavy?

Any suggestions please! Oh I have a knee problem as well so having heavy bags is a no go, I'm not allowed to have them kind of haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's for uni not college, but I'm not able to write my hand so might be able to help :smile: I basically make sure everything is in electronic format, sometimes record lectures and type them up afterwards, or just take short notes and do.

Everything else is scanned into doc form and put onto my drive on the internet as well as a USB stick, so basically I have my entire archive filed and available online at all times. This can include recorded lectures, notes, handouts, etc. Then I'll just have a light laptop to search and retrieve the files I need at the time :smile:
Well I just finished my AS's and what I have found out is that it may not be an option to leave folders at home since some teachers feel the need to have everybody bring in their folders. This is particularly true in my case, hence I invested in a larger bag, I bring 3 folders everyday to college; the other folder was left at home since, for that subject, a folder wasn't required to bring in everyday. Other than that, organisation and knowing your exam dates before the college tells you is particularly useful - just find them on the exam board's website. Don't necessarily revise every night, but go over topics from that week whenever you get a chance to.
Reply 3
Original post by samba
It's for uni not college, but I'm not able to write my hand so might be able to help :smile: I basically make sure everything is in electronic format, sometimes record lectures and type them up afterwards, or just take short notes and do.

Everything else is scanned into doc form and put onto my drive on the internet as well as a USB stick, so basically I have my entire archive filed and available online at all times. This can include recorded lectures, notes, handouts, etc. Then I'll just have a light laptop to search and retrieve the files I need at the time :smile:

Ah I should try that, typing things on a computer as that might be a lot more effective thank you!

Original post by Protoxylic
Well I just finished my AS's and what I have found out is that it may not be an option to leave folders at home since some teachers feel the need to have everybody bring in their folders. This is particularly true in my case, hence I invested in a larger bag, I bring 3 folders everyday to college; the other folder was left at home since, for that subject, a folder wasn't required to bring in everyday. Other than that, organisation and knowing your exam dates before the college tells you is particularly useful - just find them on the exam board's website. Don't necessarily revise every night, but go over topics from that week whenever you get a chance to.

Ahh I see, I did that with my GCSE's before we got the exam timetable haha. And what courses do you take? Isn't it heavy carrying all these folders though? I've heard from some people and they've said sometimes folders don't work and it's easier to use wallets to transfer notes but I don't know, I'll see how it goes in September. And I wont I've learnt to balance the work load with friends etc. ahaha but I'll try that thank you :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
You need A pen. Literally A PEN.
Original post by CaitlinN15
Ah I should try that, typing things on a computer as that might be a lot more effective thank you!

Ahh I see, I did that with my GCSE's before we got the exam timetable haha. And what courses do you take? Isn't it heavy carrying all these folders though? I've heard from some people and they've said sometimes folders don't work and it's easier to use wallets to transfer notes but I don't know, I'll see how it goes in September. And I wont I've learnt to balance the work load with friends etc. ahaha but I'll try that thank you :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Economics. It gradually gets heavier towards the end of the year haha.
In terms of stationary I would say just four folders, and maybe additional notebooks to make neater notes in?

I never used my planner for GCSE but I think at A-level it's a godsend; it'll be useful to keep teach if assignments, deadlines, exams e.t.c. Aside from that I don't really think you need anything else in terms of organising yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Protoxylic
Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Economics. It gradually gets heavier towards the end of the year haha.

Ahahaha. That seems like a lot of work

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Mini-Minion
In terms of stationary I would say just four folders, and maybe additional notebooks to make neater notes in?

I never used my planner for GCSE but I think at A-level it's a godsend; it'll be useful to keep teach if assignments, deadlines, exams e.t.c. Aside from that I don't really think you need anything else in terms of organising yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I'm thinking of buying the big paper pads so in class I make notes in them, then transfer it to my folders. The only thing concerning me is constantly carrying folders around as I cant have heavy bags you see. And other people have said it will be easier to have the plastic popper wallet things to carry notes to and from college then ttransfer it to their folder as it'll be lighter etc if you get me? I'll probs just end up using folders but it'll be effort carrying it but I think there's lockers but I can't remember ahaj

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I'm thinking of buying the big paper pads so in class I make notes in them, then transfer it to my folders. The only thing concerning me is constantly carrying folders around as I cant have heavy bags you see. And other people have said it will be easier to have the plastic popper wallet things to carry notes to and from college then ttransfer it to their folder as it'll be lighter etc if you get me? I'll probs just end up using folders but it'll be effort carrying it but I think there's lockers but I can't remember ahaj

Posted from TSR Mobile

Another idea would be to only bring in notes for the unit you're currently on in each subject, or even section.
The way I did it is buy a notepad like a pukka pad which has dividers built in, so you can take notes in a different section of the notebook for each subject. I bought a plastic wallet and put any relevant sheets and things in there all together so they were easy to find and take with me, and cleared it out into proper display folders every so often so nothing was lost and I wasn't carrying a years worth of sheets.. You could always rip out the notes from each section and put them in a folder if you find that easier too. Everytime you finish a topic, transfer the notes into a display folder to keep at home so you have them all safe, but if you don't need them at college you don't need to carry them round.
For what to buy, it's personal preference because I personally hate ringbinders, but i'd get a folder or two for each subject, either a ringbinder or a display folder with plastic wallets in (these are what I prefer). I'd get a few of those plastic envelopes to carry sheets in and I'd get at least 2 notebooks with dividers. As well as pens pencils calculator, ruler highlighter and rubber and sharpener all in a clear pencil case. You don't need to go over the top, buy things as you need.
In my first year I found that my method of organisation really wasn't working for me and changed it up a few times so just see what works for you!
You could have one "working" file for all your work in progress. Thin it out / transfer to other files as each topic is completed. Teachers demanding you take your full notes are really ridiculous.
Basically I'm starting sixth form in September and I'm buying stationary now whilst I have time.
Anyway the courses I'm taking are: History, Classical Civilisation, Sociology and ICT. I'm buying the obvious like pens, pencils, folders etc. However I don't really want to take 4 folders to college every day so has anyone got a better way to taking notes etc. To and from college. I was thinking taking a plastic wallet instead and leaving the folders at home so it wont be as heavy?

Any suggestions please! Oh I have a knee problem as well so having heavy bags is a no go, I'm not allowed to have them kind of haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some teachers are a pain and expect you to bring your folder to every lesson. I didn't listen to them :tongue:

Instead I got a expanding file folder thing, and carried work from past 4/5 lessons in there for each subject. I also carried essentials like formula booklet for maths / periodic table for chemistry in there. I also couldn't be bothered carrying a note pad so I had a section for lined paper and I topped it up over the weekend :smile:

I transferred my work into a ring binder at home :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Thanks for making this thread! I hope we have an excuse to buy lots of stationery for sixth form as I'm obsessed.:love:
Original post by Gorwell
Thanks for making this thread! I hope we have an excuse to buy lots of stationery for sixth form as I'm obsessed.:love:

Same I love stationary shopping, I'm starting tomorrow whilst it's all on cheap before they increase the prices in the six weeks ahahah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by letsbehonest
Some teachers are a pain and expect you to bring your folder to every lesson. I didn't listen to them :tongue:

Instead I got a expanding file folder thing, and carried work from past 4/5 lessons in there for each subject. I also carried essentials like formula booklet for maths / periodic table for chemistry in there. I also couldn't be bothered carrying a note pad so I had a section for lined paper and I topped it up over the weekend :smile:

I transferred my work into a ring binder at home :smile:

Yeah this is what I wanted to do and think of doing
What I wanted to do:
Have 4 ring binders and one massive notebook then at the end of the lessons tear out the pages and put into folder.
What I'm thinking of doing:
Having my 4 ring biders at home, and then a plastic wallet to take to college and then I put my notes from the lesson in my folder when I get home so it won't be as heavy etc.
I suppose the only way to find out is to see how it goes in the first couple of weeks because no doubt I'll change the way I'll organise myself because I'm always like that so I don't know to be honest.
It's just the weight of the bag, the amounr of things I have to carry and if it's really neccessary or not I'm concerned about haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by waxfilledtin
The way I did it is buy a notepad like a pukka pad which has dividers built in, so you can take notes in a different section of the notebook for each subject. I bought a plastic wallet and put any relevant sheets and things in there all together so they were easy to find and take with me, and cleared it out into proper display folders every so often so nothing was lost and I wasn't carrying a years worth of sheets.. You could always rip out the notes from each section and put them in a folder if you find that easier too. Everytime you finish a topic, transfer the notes into a display folder to keep at home so you have them all safe, but if you don't need them at college you don't need to carry them round.
For what to buy, it's personal preference because I personally hate ringbinders, but i'd get a folder or two for each subject, either a ringbinder or a display folder with plastic wallets in (these are what I prefer). I'd get a few of those plastic envelopes to carry sheets in and I'd get at least 2 notebooks with dividers. As well as pens pencils calculator, ruler highlighter and rubber and sharpener all in a clear pencil case. You don't need to go over the top, buy things as you need.
In my first year I found that my method of organisation really wasn't working for me and changed it up a few times so just see what works for you!

Yeah it'll properly take me agesss to work out what's besr for me haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Old_Simon
You could have one "working" file for all your work in progress. Thin it out / transfer to other files as each topic is completed. Teachers demanding you take your full notes are really ridiculous.

Yeah- I suppose the only way to find out is to wait and see what happens ahah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah this is what I wanted to do and think of doing
What I wanted to do:
Have 4 ring binders and one massive notebook then at the end of the lessons tear out the pages and put into folder.
What I'm thinking of doing:
Having my 4 ring biders at home, and then a plastic wallet to take to college and then I put my notes from the lesson in my folder when I get home so it won't be as heavy etc.
I suppose the only way to find out is to see how it goes in the first couple of weeks because no doubt I'll change the way I'll organise myself because I'm always like that so I don't know to be honest.
It's just the weight of the bag, the amounr of things I have to carry and if it's really neccessary or not I'm concerned about haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, seems like a good idea! :smile:

Some teachers might expect you to have notes from previous lessons on you to refer to so maybe instead of transferring work straight away, wait a few weeks :smile:
Same I love stationary shopping, I'm starting tomorrow whilst it's all on cheap before they increase the prices in the six weeks ahahah

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good idea! They have some cheap-ish stuff on Amazon right now as well :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest