The Student Room Group

Did your parents influence your choice of university or course?

Scroll to see replies

Neither of my parents went further than O level so they couldn't really, although I remember my mum repeatedly asking me if I was really sure about Physics because it would be all boys.

To any other girls unsure about Physics, she was wrong. There's 17 girls

Spoiler

I talked to both of my parents when looking at courses. One of them didn't really agree with me and had quite a bit to do with what courses I ended up looking at. Final decision (course and uni) were mine though, I didn't really listen to what they had to say when we went to open days and whatever. And although I was pretty much talked out of doing what I originally would've done, I've just finished my first year and I'm 100% happy with my course, so I'm glad it turned out the way it did (:
My parents went to university in South Africa, so didn't know anything about the UK system. I researched universities myself.

I chose my subject because I self-taught a GCSE in it when I was in year 10 and fell in love with it. It was only after applying that I learnt that my mom had minored in that subject at university and my grandmother did her second degree and her masters in it, which I thought was quite a cool coincidence :smile:

Edit: I did talk to my parents about the process/my choices etc., and they were really supportive and came to open days etc. with me. My dad and my high school really wanted me to apply for Oxford but after seeing that I wasn't keen on the university at the open day (no offense to anyone that goes there!), my dad was totally supportive of me saying that Oxford just wasn't for me.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by shooks
If you're at uni or currently in the application process, how much influence did your parents have on your decision?

Did you talk to them about where you were planning to apply to - or the course you were thinking of doing?

Did they have more influence on you than other people - such as your teachers and careers adviser? If so, what advice did they give you?

Personally, I don't really remember talking to my folks about this at all - I think I was pretty much left to get on with it.

My mam is trying to get me to apply to universities closer to home so I can stay at home so maybe that could have influenced some of my choices.I think my brother has had a huge influence because He tries and pushes me to apply for Oxbridge a bit but generally I think I have done the research myself into university courses.However, I may now decide to apply for Natural Sciences instead of Maths at Durham spurred on by the fact that it would probably be better for Meteorology to study a wider range of the skills required for the career instead of relying solely on training and my career choices have been influenced by my school career advisor who printed off a load of sheets on the wide range of careers possible within Mathematics of which Meteorology and Maths Research seemed appealing but I'm leaning towards enjoying a job with both science and mathematics so Meteorology seems more appealing due to its applications in the real world.
They tried to influence me and were really upset when I applied for the original course. But by the time I changed course they didn't say anything (I supposed they weren't given the chance to)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well my mum is a professional musician, so that's where I get the musical genes from. She didn't really mind whether I studied music at uni or not though.

My dad was quite keen on me applying to Oxford, which is what led me to apply to the Sutton Trust summer school and go to the open days. Fell in love with the place, and the rest was history :h:

I think my older sister was probably my biggest influence tbh, as opposed to my parents or teachers :yes:
Original post by Pectorac
Anyone who lets their parents decide what they're doing at university shouldn't be going to university at all.
Deep.
Reply 27
I knew I wanted a career as a Primary School teacher since I was 10 years old and my firm University I fell in love with since I was told about it in my first year of college. So nope, they've had no influence at all. My dad doesn't care about my education and my mum trusts me to make the right decisions for my future :h:
My mom kind of had an impact on where I'm *hopefully* going in September because my firm choice is where she studied when she went to uni the first time around, although she studied theology and I'm doing teacher training so that's where the similarity ends.
I have paid attention to what my teachers have said about the process of picking a uni and how to decide where you want to go, but that's it, it's been my choice otherwise ^_^
My parents had no influence, I'm going into Computer Animation and Visual Effects but they wanted me to do Psychology :biggrin:
They decided what I was going to study, and then over the years from like when I was 13 they put the idea into my head. And finally, I applied and got in. But, now there's the possibility that I may not make my medicine offer (it happens) so now I have a kinda choice in clearing.
Both my mum and dad didn't go to uni (or anything near it, I'm unsure whether my dad even stayed in school long enough to get any O Levels :rofl:), but let me make my own decisions and supported me in whatever I chose to do. I'm glad they didn't try to interfere/force me to go to a particular uni or study a particular course as I'm really happy with where I'm at now :h:

Only one more year to go and I'll be graduating and hopefully starting an MA in Sept. :awesome:
Reply 32
Original post by shooks
If you're at uni or currently in the application process, how much influence did your parents have on your decision?

Did you talk to them about where you were planning to apply to - or the course you were thinking of doing?

Did they have more influence on you than other people - such as your teachers and careers adviser? If so, what advice did they give you?

Personally, I don't really remember talking to my folks about this at all - I think I was pretty much left to get on with it.

My father and older brother bullied me onto mine..

Surprise, surprise, I no longer speak to either anymore..
My parents influenced what I didn't do, but not what I did if that makes sense!
I initially thought about English Literature or Philosopy, and they were quite strongly against me doing either, but probably would have supported me if it was what I really wanted.
I ended up doing law, which they were quite happy with, but it certainly wasn't because they told me to. I'm really, really glad I didn't do English or Philosophy though!
Reply 34
My parents won't let me go to uni in london cause they say its too expensive and they won't financially support me but other than that its totally my decision
Nop, they weren't at all interested in where I went or what I did.

Original post by Alfissti
My own kids, my eldest I never influenced her towards any particular field of study though I did tell her there is an expectation on her that after all I had invested in her that at the very least I see some results from it. She developed a thing for medicine, I told her to give it her absolute best and see what happens. As for uni choice, she wanted UCL but was also accepted to Oxford and Birmingham. I told her as if she went to Oxford then she could stay at the family house as it was within commuting distance. We didn't prevent her from UCL just told her it would be student digs and most likely the cheapest ones available as her mother was somewhat against the idea of her pursuing studies in UK.

My 2nd, she is starting to think about university as she is also more of a engineering and scientific minded person. I do encourage her to consider Oxford or perhaps Warwick for reason that we have a home that is within commuting distance but she wants to go to USA or if that doesn't happen she wants to go to Finland. I only tell her do the best she can and if she gets the unis she wants in US then it is my job to pay for it.

:eek: What a horrible thing to say. I'm surprised your daughter didn't tell you to stick it, I would have. Your daughter is under no obligation to go to university; you chose to 'invest' in her education - that was your choice, not hers so why should she be expected to repay you?
Original post by Samual
Nop, they weren't at all interested in where I went or what I did.

:eek: What a horrible thing to say. I'm surprised your daughter didn't tell you to stick it, I would have. Your daughter is under no obligation to go to university; you chose to 'invest' in her education - that was your choice, not hers so why should she be expected to repay you?

Horrible? No.

Whoever said I expected her to go to university?
Original post by Alfissti
Horrible? No.

Whoever said I expected her to go to university?

You have no right to expect anything at all, university, job, whatever.
Mother wanted me to be a doctor, I wanted to be a fashion designer (I was 11 at that time), an architect, a lawyer and each time she made the excuse that I wouldn't be able to do any of those jobs. I finally decided I wanted to be an engineer and by that point, she realized I was never going to say I would become a doctor and so she let me be. I think she was just glad that at least I chose a STEM subject :rolleyes:
Original post by Samual
You have no right to expect anything at all, university, job, whatever.

I disagree. Thanks for your comment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending