The Student Room Group

What is it like working as an intern in an office?

Hi,

I am currently applying for an internship and I am just curious as to what it is like working in an office 9-5 / 8-6?

Is it difficult working in an office?

Do you get told off or even fired if you can't do a task?

Do you get some training of some sort?

I really want to do an internship as I can improve on my skills and get a bit of cash at the same time. Just a bit scared if anything, as it is my first time working in an office
1. I don't find it particularly difficult. Some days are incredibly busy and you barely get to sit down, but it's otherwise OK :biggrin:

2. Sometimes your line manager might have a 'word' with you if you cock up badly. But generally people know that you're just learning the ropes so in my time as an intern (on my third internship right now!), I've never been yelled at or fired. I have cocked up badly, particularly in the first internship and so there were stern words/emails, but that was about it :colondollar:

3. Like I said, people show you the ropes and everything. You won't necessarily get the CPD opportunities available to the "proper" employees of the company - but that very much differs from company to company.

Good luck with your internship! You'll be lucky if you get onto it, seeing as you say there is cash involved! Not sure where you're located by most of the internships in my field in my area are unpaid :nopity:
Reply 2
Original post by stuser
Hi,

I am currently applying for an internship and I am just curious as to what it is like working in an office 9-5 / 8-6?

Is it difficult working in an office?

Do you get told off or even fired if you can't do a task?

Do you get some training of some sort?

I really want to do an internship as I can improve on my skills and get a bit of cash at the same time. Just a bit scared if anything, as it is my first time working in an office

1. No
2. Sometimes, but they will hardly fire you a task that you cannot do, if it is only one instance. They usually more lenient with interns.
3. The intern in its way is a training process.. So don't worry about
Reply 3
Original post by Kasa
1. No
2. Sometimes, but they will hardly fire you a task that you cannot do, if it is only one instance. They usually more lenient with interns.
3. The intern in its way is a training process.. So don't worry about

I mean, yeah true an internship is a process of learning new skills...

Thing is, are they lenient with interns? I will be one of the youngest members there
Reply 4
Original post by stuser
I mean, yeah true an internship is a process of learning new skills...

Thing is, are they lenient with interns? I will be one of the youngest members there

It really varies considerably from employer. But the common consensus is that because you are young, inexperienced and learning, they may go a bit easy on you..

Besides, they will give you a lot of grunt work to begin with.. A monkey could do that.. So don't worry about that..
Reply 5
Original post by Kasa
It really varies considerably from employer. But the common consensus is that because you are young, inexperienced and learning, they may go a bit easy on you..

Besides, they will give you a lot of grunt work to begin with.. A monkey could do that.. So don't worry about that..

Yeah, my mate was saying that I would most likely be shadowing someone for some time.

I guess once I get used to it, it will be a lot of fun
Reply 6
Original post by stuser
Yeah, my mate was saying that I would most likely be shadowing someone for some time.

I guess once I get used to it, it will be a lot of fun

It will be. Be positive, because that is all that matters. That goes a long way..
Reply 7
Original post by Kasa
It will be. Be positive, because that is all that matters. That goes a long way..

It is just being the youngest there that worries me.

And also working for a year, I mean it will be like uni but I would have to wake up early and so on
Reply 8
Original post by stuser
It is just being the youngest there that worries me.

And also working for a year, I mean it will be like uni but I would have to wake up early and so on

Why should that worry you?

Age discrimination is against the law.. I doubt it will be encouraged in a working environment...

And get used to waking early.. That's work, I'm afraid :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Kasa
Why should that worry you?

Age discrimination is against the law.. I doubt it will be encouraged in a working environment...

And get used to waking early.. That's work, I'm afraid :smile:

Yeah I know age discrimination is against the law, but it is the fact that I have to work with people who are in their 40s.

Their lifestyle, personality and way of life is going to be different to mine.

I see this internship as an opportunity to learn more skills and get some paid experience.

I guess I will have to get used to waking up late, but I am a night owl and may prefer later shifts, but hey, its life - things don't always come your way
Reply 10
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
1. I don't find it particularly difficult. Some days are incredibly busy and you barely get to sit down, but it's otherwise OK :biggrin:

2. Sometimes your line manager might have a 'word' with you if you cock up badly. But generally people know that you're just learning the ropes so in my time as an intern (on my third internship right now!), I've never been yelled at or fired. I have cocked up badly, particularly in the first internship and so there were stern words/emails, but that was about it :colondollar:

3. Like I said, people show you the ropes and everything. You won't necessarily get the CPD opportunities available to the "proper" employees of the company - but that very much differs from company to company.

Good luck with your internship! You'll be lucky if you get onto it, seeing as you say there is cash involved! Not sure where you're located by most of the internships in my field in my area are unpaid :nopity:

Thanks for your response.

Just a few questions

How did you feel for your first internship? Were you nervous, worried?

Have you benefited a lot from your internship?

What were the working hours like?

Luckily in my field, you get paid but not a lot. But then again, the pay doesn't bother me.
Original post by stuser
Thanks for your response.

Just a few questions

How did you feel for your first internship? Were you nervous, worried?

Have you benefited a lot from your internship?

What were the working hours like?

Luckily in my field, you get paid but not a lot. But then again, the pay doesn't bother me.

1. I was ****ting myself before starting all my internships tbh, but luckily I was working with nice people who gave clear instructions and were there to help me learn!

2. I've certainly gained a lot of experience and skills. Keep losing out in jobs to "someone more experienced" though, hence doing yet another internship and then another on top of that! Just have to keep chugging away :h:

3. I'm disabled, so I asked for reduced hours. In my first internship I started off working from 9.30am-6pm minimum (if there wasn't a concert or function on in the evening) but that soon became impossible, given my health. So afterwards in the first internship I worked 11am-4pm, including an hour's lunch break. In my second and third internships, I work(ed) 10.30am-4.30pm, after agreeing this with my line managers :yep:
Reply 12
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
1. I was ****ting myself before starting all my internships tbh, but luckily I was working with nice people who gave clear instructions and were there to help me learn!

2. I've certainly gained a lot of experience and skills. Keep losing out in jobs to "someone more experienced" though, hence doing yet another internship and then another on top of that! Just have to keep chugging away :h:

3. I'm disabled, so I asked for reduced hours. In my first internship I started off working from 9.30am-6pm minimum (if there wasn't a concert or function on in the evening) but that soon became impossible, given my health. So afterwards in the first internship I worked 11am-4pm, including an hour's lunch break. In my second and third internships, I work(ed) 10.30am-4.30pm, after agreeing this with my line managers :yep:

Hi,

I am also disabled too. I have a learning disability called dyslexia.

Will this be a problem if I start working?
Original post by stuser
Hi,

I am also disabled too. I have a learning disability called dyslexia.

Will this be a problem if I start working?

Only you can really know how your dyslexia affects you and what support you might need. If you get offered the internship in writing, it's best to mention your dyslexia after that or on your first day or work, and any reasonable adjustments you think you might need :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending