The Student Room Group

Should I reapply? Any advice/help much appreciated!!

Hi there :smile:

I'm seeking advice about whether or not I should reapply to Cambridge this autumn. I applied last year to Jesus College for Philosophy. I had straight A*s at GCSE- I was pooled after interview but sadly didn't manage an offer. I was absolutely gutted :'( In the following months, i was diagnosed with several mental health issues that meant my studies were quite disrupted and I really struggled to regain my focus. Though the mental health issues were not due to my rejection from Cambridge- I definitely lost faith in my ability and lost the drive to succeed. I firmed my offer for 38 points at IB from UCL and insured my Durham offer at 36. This week i recieved my IB results and by some ridiculous twist of fate, I came out with 44 points- my subjects were HL Philosophy, History and English and SL Maths, Latin and Biology. Given how far above my UCL offer this is, I feel it would be a shame not to reapply, as I've always had my heart so set on Cambridge.
Is this a good idea? What is the general consensus on reapplication?
Other things i'm considering is whether i ought to try Oxford this time round. Secondly whether or not I should apply for Law not Philosophy- as this was always a second choice of subject. Lastly, is there any advice regarding choosing a college? Is there such a thing has being tactical?

Plleeeeeeeease reply! Any information greatly appreciated :smile:
Thank you so much xx
Reply 1
Original post by whitedove100

I'm seeking advice about whether or not I should reapply to Cambridge this autumn. I applied last year to Jesus College for Philosophy. I had straight A*s at GCSE- I was pooled after interview but sadly didn't manage an offer. I was absolutely gutted :'( In the following months, i was diagnosed with several mental health issues that meant my studies were quite disrupted and I really struggled to regain my focus. Though the mental health issues were not due to my rejection from Cambridge- I definitely lost faith in my ability and lost the drive to succeed. I firmed my offer for 38 points at IB from UCL and insured my Durham offer at 36. This week i recieved my IB results and by some ridiculous twist of fate, I came out with 44 points- my subjects were HL Philosophy, History and English and SL Maths, Latin and Biology. Given how far above my UCL offer this is, I feel it would be a shame not to reapply, as I've always had my heart so set on Cambridge.
Other things i'm considering is whether i ought to try Oxford this time round. Secondly whether or not I should apply for Law not Philosophy- as this was always a second choice of subject. Lastly, is there any advice regarding choosing a college? Is there such a thing has being tactical?

Thank you so much xx

Well done!
With an IB score of 44 you will have a strong chance of an offer for Cambridge provided that you interview well & have read around and understood what Philosophy is about. Law is more competitive and I wouldn't recommend it unless you really feel it interests you more-you can always do a law conversion course later if the job appeals.

I would change college-you might consider Churchill will has a very heavy emphasis on paper results but if you want to avoid the pooling experience again go for a less competitive college. (You would automatically be pooled if you didn't get an offer).
IB candidates don't have AS results so you may well have lost out to somebody with that extra bit of info, this time you provide certainty.
The reapplication success rate is about the same as first time applicants. The group is probably different, comprising those who didn't think they were strong enough first time round and those who were so strong they wanted another go.

With a score of 44 you are going to have no trouble getting a pick of your second choices, provided you are OK with a Gap year and find something useful to do.
Reply 2
Might also be worth asking for advice on http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2731996&page=5 where an Admissions Tutor is giving out helpful advice.

For what it's worth, I would definitely consider reapplying, as with 44 you will be a very strong candidate.

As the poster above said, probably go for another college. The university suggest that tactical applications are a non-concept (I'm not totally convinced) but you can look at application statistics, and go for a less popular college if you want. It won't make a big difference, but it probably won't hurt...

Another thing I strongly recommend (I did this, and found it very illuminating and helpful) is emailing all the admissions tutors from different colleges individually. Give them as much info about you as you can and ask for advice, I found that some tutors were particularly helpful, and gave precise details on what they were looking for.
Reply 3
emilyb96
The university suggest that tactical applications are a non-concept (I'm not totally convinced) but you can look at application statistics, and go for a less popular college if you want. It won't make a big difference, but it probably won't hurt...

Another thing I strongly recommend (I did this, and found it very illuminating and helpful) is emailing all the admissions tutors from different colleges individually. .

I think you give good advice here.

Let me explain my point about less competitive colleges. Your chances of getting an offer overall are not supposed to be affected by which college you apply to. This is achieved by ranking the whole field and pooling the good quality candidates who miss their first choice.of college.

The OP has already been through the pool and may not wish to repeat the experience. He increases his chance of getting an offer at his first choice college if he applies to a less competitive college.
Or he can aim high, perhaps get a more competitive college but if he just misses he faces the inevitability of the pool and then potentially a college he didn't want.

In truth there are very few colleges which you couldn't be happy with as a first choice so in this situation a mild tactical choice may be good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Obviously applying to a more popular college will make it less likely to get into THAT COLLEGE, but not the university as a whole as other colleges will take you through the pool.

Which achieved results to that standard, you're going to have a bit of a better chance because you have already proved yourself. I think it's definitely worth reapplying, but make sure you keep up with your studies and do stuff in the gap year to show your interest and to learn from. That will also strengthen your application as well as giving you something to do.

Plenty of people get in on their second try. You have a really good chance, and if the course is everything you want and you think Cambridge is the place for you, go for it.
Your grades are good enough. If you really want Cam, take a gap year and get some interesting experience, then re-apply.

Thank you so much xx

Have you thought about Oxford PPE?
You should definitely try to apply for that. I heard Oxford is better at humanities anyway.
Reply 7
Original post by 1drowssap
Have you thought about Oxford PPE?
You should definitely try to apply for that. I heard Oxford is better at humanities anyway.

It used to be, but nowadays Cambridge is more competitive to get into for almost all courses except PPE & Medicine. (Average UCAS tarriff points for Cambridge are significantly higher and there is a good degree of self-selection where those with lower paper results opt for Oxford.

That's not to say that some people don't prefer Oxford as a place or the content of individual courses. As a general rule high UMS go for Cambridge, low UMS but good GCSEs go for Oxford. With an IB score of 44 the OP should go for the course/city they prefer.
Original post by Colmans
It used to be, but nowadays Cambridge is more competitive to get into for almost all courses except PPE & Medicine. (Average UCAS tarriff points for Cambridge are significantly higher and there is a good degree of self-selection where those with lower paper results opt for Oxford.

That's not to say that some people don't prefer Oxford as a place or the content of individual courses. As a general rule high UMS go for Cambridge, low UMS but good GCSEs go for Oxford. With an IB score of 44 the OP should go for the course/city they prefer.

I guess so, I think OP is interested in philosophy, so the closest match is probably PPE.
Reply 9
Original post by Colmans
I think you give good advice here.

Let me explain my point about less competitive colleges. Your chances of getting an offer overall are not supposed to be affected by which college you apply to. This is achieved by ranking the whole field and pooling the good quality candidates who miss their first choice.of college.

The OP has already been through the pool and may not wish to repeat the experience. He increases his chance of getting an offer at his first choice college if he applies to a less competitive college.
Or he can aim high, perhaps get a more competitive college but if he just misses he faces the inevitability of the pool and then potentially a college he didn't want.

In truth there are very few colleges which you couldn't be happy with as a first choice so in this situation a mild tactical choice may be good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, it was my tactic, I agree with you. I'm just suggesting the OP not worry too much about it either, and pick a college they like, rather than the least popular one... :smile:
Original post by emilyb96
Might also be worth asking for advice on http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2731996&page=5 where an Admissions Tutor is giving out helpful advice.

For what it's worth, I would definitely consider reapplying, as with 44 you will be a very strong candidate.

As the poster above said, probably go for another college. The university suggest that tactical applications are a non-concept (I'm not totally convinced) but you can look at application statistics, and go for a less popular college if you want. It won't make a big difference, but it probably won't hurt...

Another thing I strongly recommend (I did this, and found it very illuminating and helpful) is emailing all the admissions tutors from different colleges individually. Give them as much info about you as you can and ask for advice, I found that some tutors were particularly helpful, and gave precise details on what they were looking for.

Are u a current student?

Thank you so much xx

In your position, I'd reapply; your application will be much stronger since you've got your IB grades, especially given how high they are, and you'll also automatically be pooled (this from their pool document) - 'Post-qualification International Baccalaureate applicants (except those for Mathematics and Medicine) who have achieved both 42 points (or better) overall and 7,7,6 (or better) at Higher Level MUST be pooled'.

At this stage, I probably wouldn't apply to Oxford- I think your IB results would probably put you at more of an advantage for Cambridge, but ultimately if you think you can perform in Oxford's admissions tests then apply there.

I would stick with philosophy if you're passionate about it - law is more competitive, and the fact you were pooled for philosophy in the first place demonstrates your application was strong.

To be honest, with the pool there's no real 'tactical' way you can apply; just go for the place you like best :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by newblood
Are u a current student?

I'm an offer holder :smile: Fingers crossed, I will be a student in October :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending