The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I chuckle whenever I hear someone say "I fell pregnant". Falling is an accident...Just as accidental as falling on someone's d**k I'm sure.
Original post by minimarshmallow
People might not realise that their contraceptive is less effective at that given point - if a woman is on certain antibiotics and hasn't notice that they interfere with the effectiveness of her pill. You may be allergic to rubber and have trouble getting latex free condoms (although they do exist, so it's not that much of an excuse). You might have a condom break. You might be taking a pill that just doesn't work for you (I read somewhere that if taken correctly, the pill is 100% effective except in some women where it doesn't work at all because they don't react well to it, not sure where though).
Also, you may have someone lying about using the pill or having an implant or a coil or something.
Accidental pregnancies do exist.

I can't believe that antibiotics aren't highlighted in sex ed in schools (or at least they weren't in mine) when you think how often most people will take them! Even your average healthy person will probably take a course of antibiotics every 1-2 years!

And latex-free condoms are a nightmare to get hold of for free, or if you don't have major supermarkets nearby. I was asked by my local sex clinic to phone a few days in advance if I wanted to get some for free, because they didn't keep many in, another clinic didn't have any at all, and small drugstores and supermarkets rarely stocked them, or charged double.
Needless to say, I don't use condoms any more! I would hate to have to use them again, because it's so inconvenient (and because most guys have the attitude that the girl should get them and pay if she wants them to be used!!!)

I can't believe how many stories I've heard about people having an abortion through lack of contraception, and continuing not to use any, or at least being lax about how they do use it! It's really, really great that we can get the morning-after pill, but I am genuinely upset that I've had to accompany friends to get it! Just use a condom, or get the pill, it's not difficult and there's no excuse!
Reply 42
Original post by Katie_p
I can't believe that antibiotics aren't highlighted in sex ed in schools (or at least they weren't in mine) when you think how often most people will take them! Even your average healthy person will probably take a course of antibiotics every 1-2 years!

And latex-free condoms are a nightmare to get hold of for free, or if you don't have major supermarkets nearby. I was asked by my local sex clinic to phone a few days in advance if I wanted to get some for free, because they didn't keep many in, another clinic didn't have any at all, and small drugstores and supermarkets rarely stocked them, or charged double.
Needless to say, I don't use condoms any more! I would hate to have to use them again, because it's so inconvenient (and because most guys have the attitude that the girl should get them and pay if she wants them to be used!!!)

I can't believe how many stories I've heard about people having an abortion through lack of contraception, and continuing not to use any, or at least being lax about how they do use it! It's really, really great that we can get the morning-after pill, but I am genuinely upset that I've had to accompany friends to get it! Just use a condom, or get the pill, it's not difficult and there's no excuse!

This wasn't highlighted in any of the sex education videos I've seen either, but I would've thought it was still common knowledge. I was told this at the consultation when I went to go on the pill when I was younger (even though I wasn't going on it for contraceptive purposes) and whenever I've been prescribed antibiotics I've been asked if I'm on the pill, I assume the doctor would then go on to tell me to use condoms as a back up if I said I was in this case.
Original post by gemmam
This wasn't highlighted in any of the sex education videos I've seen either, but I would've thought it was still common knowledge. I was told this at the consultation when I went to go on the pill when I was younger (even though I wasn't going on it for contraceptive purposes) and whenever I've been prescribed antibiotics I've been asked if I'm on the pill, I assume the doctor would then go on to tell me to use condoms as a back up if I said I was in this case.

I've never been asked when I've got antibiotics, and since I turned 15 (which I'd treat as the age doctors would definitely think to ask, if they were going to as standard) I've had probably 10 or more courses of antibiotics.

I agree it's relatively common knowledge, but I think it's still overwhelmingly overlooked in sex ed. When you think that the pill is pretty much the holy grail of contraceptives, everyone should know that if they or their partner is on the pill and taking antibiotics, they will need to take extra precautions. It's like not teaching that using 2 condoms is more likely to make them split, IMO, and every sex-ed class I had that touched on the subject was very clear to ram that point home!
Reply 44
Original post by Katie_p
I've never been asked when I've got antibiotics, and since I turned 15 (which I'd treat as the age doctors would definitely think to ask, if they were going to as standard) I've had probably 10 or more courses of antibiotics.

I agree it's relatively common knowledge, but I think it's still overwhelmingly overlooked in sex ed. When you think that the pill is pretty much the holy grail of contraceptives, everyone should know that if they or their partner is on the pill and taking antibiotics, they will need to take extra precautions. It's like not teaching that using 2 condoms is more likely to make them split, IMO, and every sex-ed class I had that touched on the subject was very clear to ram that point home!

I agree it should be highlighted, however I guess they assume everyone would be told this at the consultation and/or they'd do some research before they go on it.
I agree. It’s not just pregnancy they should be worried its also STDs should be on their minds. With this 'liberal' society we live in you don't know who’s got what.

In my honest and humble opinion there is not a good enough excuse for 'accidental' pregnancy. Especially in these times. People come out with "oh the condom broke" "Oh I missed the pill.
There are many contraceptives out there, such as the injection, implant, spermicide, condoms, femidoms, IUD, sponge and many more.
Contraceptives are widely available and free.
Although most of them are 99% effective when used correctly, I would feel more at ease using 3 types i.e , Condom (protection from STDs and pregnancy), the implant (effective for 3 years 99%), spermicide and even the 'withdrawal method'. I know no contraception is 100%, I would at least like to give myself a fighting chance
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by gemmam

This wasn't mentioned to me with my last round at Christmas. I actually asked the pharmacist.
I have been told (and it's on the leaflet I have) that due to the medication I'm on, I would not be allowed to become pregnant. Or rather, there's a serious risk that the child would be seriously disabled.

I was informed by the man who wanted a relationship with me, that he wouldn't be wearing a condom because he's had the snip, which I have no way of really knowing. It's his word.

I refused.
Lady needs to be on the pill innit. But will stop STI etc wearing a Jonneh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A5ko
Because they are stupid.

Don't buy into this, heat of the moment, lust took over bull**** either. If you can't look past 15 minutes of pleasure and see the possibility of having a child you may not want, you're a moron and should be sterilised.

I don't have a strong opinion on this subject however....

Everyone says this until they're in the situation themselves...
Original post by lucaf
not going on birth control has worse adverse efffects :tongue:

also, not sure about sex being better without a condom, never noticed much of a difference personally.

Are you taking the piss? Condoms are awful !!
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Funnily enough the urge to bone often overrules any critical faculties we may or may not have.

This. I also admire how eloquently it was phrased.
Original post by TSA
This. I also admire how eloquently it was phrased.

Thanks!

...fancy a bit?
i honestly dont notice much of a difference between sex with a condom and sex without :s I have the implant in and I have no idea how you can lie about having it in... just feel the girls arm and it'll be obvious if they have the implant or not..

I'm far too paranoid to not use any contraception tbh
Reply 54
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Are you taking the piss? Condoms are awful !!

honestly haven't noticed much of a difference!
Original post by lucaf
honestly haven't noticed much of a difference!

Fair enough, personally I think they feel weird and horrible
Reply 56
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Fair enough, personally I think they feel weird and horrible

well to be fair I haven't gone without a condom that many times, and since one of those times ended a bit painfully I haven't been to desperate to avoid them :tongue:
Original post by lucaf
well to be fair I haven't gone without a condom that many times, and since one of those times ended a bit painfully I haven't been to desperate to avoid them :tongue:

How was it painful? :lol: I've only used a condom once and it was dreadful, felt like I was ****ing sandpaper or glass shards...
Reply 58
I don't care if they have unprotected sex,but if they have a baby,they should pay by their own money,and not claim benefits.As for STD'S if they have some ,they should be castrated.
Original post by malefni
Going on birth control has adverse effects in the long run. It messes up a woman's period cycle.

Yep, it takes 6 months+ to get out of her system. Very inconvenient. Also, if she's ill at the time of sex without condoms, then contraceptive pills might not work anyway.

Latest

Trending

Trending