The Student Room Group

What's so interesting about the korean culture? Or is it just a trend?

Scroll to see replies

I think it's just kinda like the Japanese craze people had.
Original post by missfats
then
FEMININE GUYS > others :coma:

(srs masculine guys are arrogant imho).
jeez jeez jeez jeez. don't hate.
Posted from TSR Mobile

He's cute!

OP I'm more interested in Japan but I'm interested in Korea because of the skin developments
What's so interesting about any culture?
Perhaps the best night of sex I ever had was with a Korean woman.

She likely doesn't speak as highly of British men, mind. Oh dear.
Reply 24
No idea. Perhaps because the culture hugely contrasts with western culture. It's like a completely different world to the one we're all familiar with.
Original post by Table dust
trend set off by gangnam style, stupid white people

Most kpop fans I know hate Gangnam style...
Original post by cambio wechsel
Perhaps the best night of sex I ever had was with a Korean woman.

She likely doesn't speak as highly of British men, mind. Oh dear.

tmi :/

Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
He's cute!

OP I'm more interested in Japan but I'm interested in Korea because of the skin developments

skin developments?
Original post by Table dust
trend set off by gangnam style, stupid white people

I had an interest in k pop before gangnam. I know people who loved k and j pop before gangnam style.
Original post by HappyHylian
I think it's just kinda like the Japanese craze people had.

Korea and Japan are two different countries and have two different cultures.

To answer the OP - k pop is considered different to the west. Korea has a different standard of beauty, different food, different pop culture, a different everything.

The reason I dislike the k pop culture and industry is that their standard of beauty is to be clones of each other. Some people like that but for a normal looking person, these standards are impossible unless your willing to spend thousands on your face and everything else. There are other things as well. I prefer J pop tons more than k pop. J pop is based a lot more on individuality and Japan definitely holds its traditional culture of what we considered "weird" a lot more closer. Korea just copies western culture completely and forgets that they have their own culture. Japan definitely has its ways when it comes to taking influence from the west but their music is pretty unique compared to k pop. I know I shouldn't compare but I think its important to show the downfalls of the kpop industry. Its sad tbh.
Original post by Ambrosia_angel
Korea and Japan are two different countries and have two different cultures.

Okay you obviously didn't understand what I meant.
I meant that this new Korean culture craze is exactly the same as what happened with the Japasne culture craze. People like 1 aspect of another country (Pokemon in Japan) (Gangnam in Korea) and then go absolutely batcrap crazy about the entire country.
Original post by Secretnerd123
skin developments?

Korea spends a lot of money creating superficial beauty regimes. Bb cream started in Korea if you didn't know that already.
Original post by HappyHylian
Okay you obviously didn't understand what I meant.
I meant that this new Korean culture craze is exactly the same as what happened with the Japasne culture craze. People like 1 aspect of another country (Pokemon in Japan) (Gangnam in Korea) and then go absolutely batcrap crazy about the entire country.

What Japanese craze? Some people like it due to j pop and anime. Others don't. There isn't a craze. Just because you know a few people that like it doesn't mean theres a craze.

Same with k pop. I've known people that loved k pop way before gangnam. There wasn't a craze. Psy is the only k pop artist to make it big in the west. Boa tried and failed. Just because some people sing gangnam style doesn't mean they become fans of k pop or the Korean pop industry.
Reply 31
Original post by missfats
KPOP/HIPHOP - BEST
KDRAMAS/FILMS - BEST.
LANGUAGE - OK
FOOD - BEAUTIFUL
VARIETY SHOWS - simply the best.
GUYS - HAWT.
Overall, Korean > British. :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Weaboo alert.
Original post by Ambrosia_angel
Korea spends a lot of money creating superficial beauty regimes. Bb cream started in Korea if you didn't know that already.

Superficial? I didn't realise taking care of yourself is superficial
I'm not particularly interested in far eastern cultures
It's a trend. Nothing particularly uniquely endemic to Korean "culture" by which you mean South Korean. The language is interesting linguistically speaking.
Reply 35
For me, the music and pop culture was a way into a wider 'culture', personal interest and language that I might have never encountered otherwise.
The culture itself is interesting to some people for its difference (in some aspects) to their own. But as someone said earlier, it's not fundamentally unique.

Basically Korea is a bit overlooked compared to China and Japan, so someone has to plug that interest gap. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest