The Student Room Group

Need some help with my 16 year old younger brother!

He drives off all girls interested him by basically stalking them online, never leaving them alone and telling them he loves them after like 2 days of agreeing to go on the first date. He is staying with me this week and he came down talking about wanting to go on a date with one girl, then two days layer had a gf that lives in Brighton (he lives in Birmingham). He's met this girl once through his (frankly weird) friend and had only been talking to her for two days. Now he's 'official on Facebook' and telling her he loves her.

He's bareley spoken to me all week and is just texting her constantly, which is pretty boring to me, and he wants her to come to stay in Birmingham, which my parents won't agree to until they have met her, and are generally very pissed off about the whole thing. Trying to be a good sister I said she can meet us tomorrow for a few hours but now she wants to make out and stuff and he wants to hold hands with her and just urgh. I'm going to be there!

Can anyone help me with what I should do/how I should act?

Tl;dr my 16 y/o brother is weird with girls, I have to meet his new gf tomorrow and feeling uncomfortable and stuck between my brother and parents.

Scroll to see replies

Just realised I accidentally posted this anonymously! But seriously, someone help :frown:
Tell your brother he is acting like a bitch and he should grow up.
kids will be kids... it annoys me when I see kids on fb posting all that stuff too but w/e
Eventually he will realise he's losing out/will get over this initial phase with his girlfriend by himself.

That or your brother is just weird and good luck.
Original post by chl0eellen
kids will be kids... it annoys me when I see kids on fb posting all that stuff too but w/e

While this sounds really dismissive (probably because you were! :smile: ) it's pretty much the response you should have. He's 16, he doesn't know any better regarding love and relationships. It's not surprising he says he loves them, he's just confusing it with... overwhelming infatuation? It is a bit desperate but he'll learn. He can only learn through experience, I don't know any 16 year old that would listen to the advice of someone older because it's always along the lines of "you're too young to understand." At that age, that's incredibly offensive.

Let them hold hands and kiss a bit. They're not really going to develop their relationship very much if they can't have any physical contact. I mean, you're there and they should respect that, so everything in moderation, but you should respect that they're in a relationship (as much as you're pessimistic about it... again, understandable as they're 16 but let them learn).
Original post by Anonymous
He drives off all girls interested him by basically stalking them online, never leaving them alone and telling them he loves them after like 2 days of agreeing to go on the first date. He is staying with me this week and he came down talking about wanting to go on a date with one girl, then two days layer had a gf that lives in Brighton (he lives in Birmingham). He's met this girl once through his (frankly weird) friend and had only been talking to her for two days. Now he's 'official on Facebook' and telling her he loves her.

He's bareley spoken to me all week and is just texting her constantly, which is pretty boring to me, and he wants her to come to stay in Birmingham, which my parents won't agree to until they have met her, and are generally very pissed off about the whole thing. Trying to be a good sister I said she can meet us tomorrow for a few hours but now she wants to make out and stuff and he wants to hold hands with her and just urgh. I'm going to be there!

Can anyone help me with what I should do/how I should act?

Tl;dr my 16 y/o brother is weird with girls, I have to meet his new gf tomorrow and feeling uncomfortable and stuck between my brother and parents.

Story of my life, maybe he's bi?
Reply 7
Original post by TurboCretin
Eventually he will realise he's losing out/will get over this initial phase with his girlfriend by himself.

That or your brother is just weird and good luck.

He's adopted and as a result is pretty emotionally...behind.

Put it this way - his oldest sibling had 2 kids, then a third, split with a partner who accused her of abuse and now she's lost custody of the kids. She's 23.

His older brother had twins with his gf who were born prematurely then taken into care, and now might have got another girl pregnant. He's 21.

I guess we just worry he'll end up the same way.
Reply 8
Original post by sliceofcake
While this sounds really dismissive (probably because you were! :smile: ) it's pretty much the response you should have. He's 16, he doesn't know any better regarding love and relationships. It's not surprising he says he loves them, he's just confusing it with... overwhelming infatuation? It is a bit desperate but he'll learn. He can only learn through experience, I don't know any 16 year old that would listen to the advice of someone older because it's always along the lines of "you're too young to understand." At that age, that's incredibly offensive.

Let them hold hands and kiss a bit. They're not really going to develop their relationship very much if they can't have any physical contact. I mean, you're there and they should respect that, so everything in moderation, but you should respect that they're in a relationship (as much as you're pessimistic about it... again, understandable as they're 16 but let them learn).

I told him for every kiss and me and my boyfriend will kiss in front of him so that he understands how awkward it is! Other than that I'm just trying to be chill about it. My parents are really pissed and its making me really nervous about the whole situation. They just want him to have a gf in Birmingham for once.

I doubt they can have much of a relationship anyway given my parents won't let her stay over.

Thing is she's 17 and he is mentally about 14, so it just seems freaky to me :\
Original post by College_Dropout
Tell your brother he is acting like a bitch and he should grow up.

Tempting but my mum already says I'm mean to him, I don't want to fall out over this. He is a right weirdo though sometimes.
Original post by fnatic NateDestiel
Story of my life, maybe he's bi?

Why would that suggest he was bi?
He's sixteen , creepy awkwardness is practically part and parcel.

Let him crack on with it, in a few years he will hate his life when he looks back on it....don't deny him that feeling.
Original post by redferry
Just realised I accidentally posted this anonymously! But seriously, someone help :frown:

I call bs, I have done this before but it said thread starter next to my nic, you're not being that thing that lives under a bridge are you?

Why would that suggest he was bi?

I didn't realise we were still talking about your brother :wink:

I'm not being a misogynist :yawn: but are the girls he gets pretty?
I'd love to say just whack him and have done with it, but I think that counts as abuse so I can't say that.

Tell him he's being a stalker

Spoiler

16? He should be focusing on his A levels.
Original post by fnatic NateDestiel
I call bs, I have done this before but it said thread starter next to my nic, you're not being that thing that lives under a bridge are you?

I didn't realise we were still talking about your brother :wink:

I'm not being a misogynist :yawn: but are the girls he gets pretty?

No I genuinely posted this thread - it matches up with my post history (originally from Birmingham, living in London, 16 yo adopted bro) check if you like.

Yeah generally they are. I mean he's not bad looking just a bit... Developmentally delayed mentally.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
16? He should be focusing on his A levels.

He's only just done his GCSEs and he will be lucky of he passes more than two (he only took 6) so really has no need to focus on A levels. As he won't be taking any.
He's only just done his GCSEs and he will be lucky of he passes more than two (he only took 6) so really has no need to focus on A levels. As he won't be taking any.

He needs to focus on re-doing his GCSEs or getting a job. Has he got a career/life plan?
Original post by Three Mile Sprint
He's sixteen , creepy awkwardness is practically part and parcel.

Let him crack on with it, in a few years he will hate his life when he looks back on it....don't deny him that feeling.

I guess we just worry because adoption often leads to people taking advantage due to how niave many adopted kids are.

Also I have to meet this girl tomorrow -_-
Original post by Abdul-Karim
He needs to focus on re-doing his GCSEs or getting a job. Has he got a career/life plan?

Yeah he's doing a three year chef course starting in September, he is going to be a chef.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending