The Student Room Group

My GCSE's

Scroll to see replies

Original post by beckythompson
I go into year 10 in September. I am worrying about my GCSE's, are they hard?

What GCSE options did you pick? What are your average 'level's? (Personal, so I understand)

Answering these questions, i can give you top advice. TOP.
Original post by Magistl
Fascinating isn't it? I'd have thought there would be *shrug*

Yes but even worse it leads to uncertainty in the teacher and pupil about the necessity or otherwise of actually learning stuff from the textbook. There is a well known teacher in this forum who regards textbooks with virtual contempt and presumably transmits that suggestions to her pupils.

They're really just a test on what you learn in lesson, like a load of end of topic tests but in one paper!
Honestly, at first they seem hard but once you get the hang of it by looking at past papers then you'll be fine!
Just ensure you revise things you learn so they dont decay in your memory and you dont forget info you need and make sure you go back and learn things you dont understand.
If you do those key things and remember as much as you can then theres nothing more you can do.
Just try to revise and im sure you'll be fine!! :smile:
Original post by Magistl
GCSE's are by no means difficult. Simply go over past papers, recollect what you've been taught and study the text book you'll purchase via the school. Do all this and boom, you've got an A*

Your probably just very clever. Not everyone has the same abilities, I don't think certain GCSEs are easy, for example I had a real hard time with Geography.
Reply 24
Original post by KettleMan
Your probably just very clever. Not everyone has the same abilities, I don't think certain GCSEs are easy, for example I had a real hard time with Geography.

I agree 100% - my apologies if I came across as linear in my statement, I was simply expressing my opinion. Come to think of it, I could have worded it better :biggrin:
Original post by Magistl
I agree 100% - my apologies if I came across as linear in my statement, I was simply expressing my opinion. Come to think of it, I could have worded it better :biggrin:

No problem :smile:
I can safely say we were lent textbooks, if a high school makes you purchase text books then there is something seriously wrong with their fund allocations since that is what a large proportion of their budget should be allocated to.
In our school we got books for some of the subjects, but we had to buy CGP guides from the school for science, and I think geography revision guides as well(I didn't pick geography so I don't know for sure). We got books for English, business, RS, maths and further maths. The school also sold revision guides for maths.
We didn't get given any books. :redface: They told us to go to WHSmith and buy the right books for the right exam boards. XDDD
Allow, all these people are probably scaring you....just make sure you work hard in year 10, cos you don't wanna have to make up for it in yr 11; trust me! Good luck! x
They're really not too bad so long as you can be bothered to do a reasonable amount of work

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tryrevise
They're really not too bad so long as you can be bothered to do a reasonable amount of work

Posted from TSR Mobile

And that you know how to answer the questions and apply your knowledge to given scenarios. :wink:
Reply 32
They're not that hard but the difficulty comes in doing around 10 different subjects and learning to prioritise certain subjects and divide your time properly. If you master this, then it should be fine.
Original post by Protoxylic
Well my perception of waffling for this case would be writing a paragraph referring to a specific object mentioned in the question as a "thing" or "it". In the markscheme for GCSE is explicitly states, It = "object". At A-Level you just can't get away without mentioning specifics. Also, for longer answer questions there's a column that says "Allow:" so you can get marks for getting roughly the correct answer because there's a lot of benefit of the doubt marks given. A lot of students at my college who gained 8/9 A*'s are now struggling at AS/A2 level simply because they apply a GCSE mindset to A level. I'm talking generally here.

Those last sentences are a fascinating insight into education. Thank you.

No, not really. Pay attention in class, keep up to date with work and do past papers. Also, in the end they don't really matter, providing you get a decent enough grade in any subjects you want to do for a level and/or uni. Good luck :smile:
GCSE's won't be as hard as you think- don't worry! My main areas of advice are to: stay organised, make clear notes from the beginning of year 10, buy the appropriate revision guides (check that it has the correct syllabus for your exam board) and start revision a couple of months before your GCSEs so you can go over anything that's difficult.

Some subjects you'll find trickier than others. Personally, I found History harder than, say, Biology because for all science subjects, you can list (appropriate) facts that you have remembered and get a top grade. However, I found history difficult because you have to remember the facts and be good at structuring your essays and exam technique. But, with practice it's easy to improve and get the grade you want!

Good luck- you'll be fine. If you need any more advice/want to ask specific questions, then just message me- I'm happy to help. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest