The Student Room Group

The social anxiety friend meeting thread!

Thought I'd start a thread for people who have social anxiety or people who are quite shy to make new friends. Friends to chat to, Facebook, whatsapp buddies etc.

I'll start..
I'm Amy, 26 from London. I work from home and study from home. Im self learning A-levels - psychology and sociology. I get really bored as im home alone all day so would be nice to find other people to chat to.

I've had social anxiety for over 10 years and find it hard to meet new people.

Come say hello :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi Amy :smile:. I'm 23 and I also suffer with social anxiety. Like you, I've been self studying A-levels for the past couple of years. I missed a lot of school and college because of my anxiety disorder, so I've gradually been trying to catch up while recovering :smile:. I'm hoping to start university in September.
Original post by Kåte
Hi Amy :smile:. I'm 23 and I also suffer with social anxiety. Like you, I've been self studying A-levels for the past couple of years. I missed a lot of school and college because of my anxiety disorder, so I've gradually been trying to catch up while recovering :smile:. I'm hoping to start university in September.

Hi Kate :hello:
I missed a lot of school too, due to a lot bullying emotional and physical my parents were so fed up with the school ignoring it that they actually took me out of school a year early so I didn't get to do any GCSE's. Before they took me out tho, I missed lots of school because of the bullying.

I now work from home and study at home, altho I have enrolled on a short course at an adult education centre in September so im looking forward to that. Hopefully il meet some nice people :smile:

oh cool what A Levels are you studying? And what are you going to study in uni? x
Reply 3
Original post by AmyBurge
Hi Kate :hello:
I missed a lot of school too, due to a lot bullying emotional and physical my parents were so fed up with the school ignoring it that they actually took me out of school a year early so I didn't get to do any GCSE's. Before they took me out tho, I missed lots of school because of the bullying.

I now work from home and study at home, altho I have enrolled on a short course at an adult education centre in September so im looking forward to that. Hopefully il meet some nice people :smile:

oh cool what A Levels are you studying? And what are you going to study in uni? x

That sounds the same as what I went through. I was bullied very badly at school and the school did absolutely nothing about it, so I ended up leaving at fifteen because I couldn't cope anymore. I was very ill with anxiety for about three/four years afterwards and spent most of my time stuck at home :frown:, it was awful.

I've been studying maths, human biology and chemistry and I'm hopefully going to be studying biomedical science at UWE, which is in my hometown. I'm really looking forward to it and the uni is very supportive towards people with anxiety problems and other health issues, which is great :smile:.

What will you be studying on your short course at college? I'm sure you'll love it - college is so much better than school :biggrin:.
Original post by Kåte
That sounds the same as what I went through. I was bullied very badly at school and the school did absolutely nothing about it, so I ended up leaving at fifteen because I couldn't cope anymore. I was very ill with anxiety for about three/four years afterwards and spent most of my time stuck at home :frown:, it was awful.

I've been studying maths, human biology and chemistry and I'm hopefully going to be studying biomedical science at UWE, which is in my hometown. I'm really looking forward to it and the uni is very supportive towards people with anxiety problems and other health issues, which is great :smile:.

What will you be studying on your short course at college? I'm sure you'll love it - college is so much better than school :biggrin:.

Wow, I can't believe how similar your story is to mine. I was also 15 when I left school. I have suffered with anxiety since then. Its 10 years now since I left school. Ive been having CBT and it helped me so much, ive finished with that now and im coping with the anxiety well at the moment.

I blame the bullies for my anxiety and I am angry at them for robbing me of my education which is why I decided to start learning now.

My short course is in psychology, I thought it would help me to meet new people with similar interests and get me out there a bit to build confidence. Id never even consider doing this a year ago. But I feel really confident and ready for it now.

How have you found self studying? I find It can be hard sometimes without a tutor but I think once im done, I can say I did it myself. :smile:

That sounds great that the uni are really supportive. :smile: good on you for going back you certainly are braver than me! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thought I needed to give this thread a bit of a bump!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi :smile: I don't know whether I have (social) anxiety or not. I've been feeling, especially recently, that I have in some ways but I've never been diagnosed etc.

I've made a couple of threads before about how I've been feeling - it'd be nice to get a second opinion on things, thanks :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2706410&p=48445837#post48445837

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2728025

I have been extremely honest with my feelings here so this is how I am, I'm not sure if it's anything to worry about or not, that's all.
Oh I've realised that Amy has actually replied to one of my threads ahah :smile:
Reply 8
Hi im 23 and i also have it. Its nice to know there are people in a similar situation.
I am 20, male. Completes A-levels but dropped out of uni as I felt I had nothing in common with everyone their. Got really home sick.

Hoping to star uni again, I gave spent my spare time catching up with old friends
Hey everyone! :smile:

I've got social anxiety disorder and also AVPD. I'm 19, and recently had to defer my place at uni because I couldn't cope. Currently having CBT.
Reply 11
Hi

i definitely have Social Anxiety and i'm sure i was born with it. I'm 19 from South London and i have ran out of colleges to go this September as i've now been to 2 or 3 (Lost Count). Obviously because people see me as a loner but what can i do about it.

(P.S does anyone know how long an Anoymous post takes, i've posted about 2 messages)
Original post by emmalouise-
Hey everyone! :smile:

I've got social anxiety disorder and also AVPD. I'm 19, and recently had to defer my place at uni because I couldn't cope. Currently having CBT.

-hugs- I hope the CBT works for you, and you're able to go back to uni :smile:
I have panic disorder and definitely some traits of social anxiety - being the centre of attention terrifies me.
My university has been really supportive, even if my personal tutor is a bit useless. It's not because he doesn't care, it's more he's never been given any training w.r.t MH issues, so it's essentially the blind leading the blind.
I found CBT really helped me. I'm able to do so much more now and feel like im starting to get my life back :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by .snowflake.
-hugs- I hope the CBT works for you, and you're able to go back to uni :smile:

Thank you :smile:

Original post by AmyBurge
I found CBT really helped me. I'm able to do so much more now and feel like im starting to get my life back :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's really good to hear - how long did it take for you to feel like you were making progress, and in what ways etc. if you don't mind me asking? I have to admit that at the moment I'm feeling pretty hopeless and that I'll never get better
I had 8 sessions. They normally say between 6 to 8 sessions is enough but it all depends on the person.
She really taught me how to look at things in a more positive way and some techniques to use when I go out. For example, I always feel that everyone is staring at me when I go out. She taught me to actually look around at people which confirmed that actually, no one is taking any notice of me at all and they are all just getting on with their own lives. Its such a simple thing, but becauase I was so nervous about going out I would always walk with my head down so id never notice anything.
I also had a lot of issues with how I looked I always thought I was hideously ugly. But she helped me to make a scale of some one who I thought was very beautiful and someone I thought was very ugly. Then I had to describe each one and then plot myself on the scale. Again, really simple but it reall helped me to realise that I am not a monster lol.
Reply 16
I also have social anxiety, have suffered from it for as long as I can remember. Had CBT sessions last dummer and have been on sertraline since May last year.
Hello everyone :smile: I have trouble making friends and having just finished uni it is not nice being back at home during the summer and not really having anyone to talk to, I feel really lonely at the moment.

I have become a bit more sociable since meeting my girlfriend and I enjoy spending time with her friends but I find it so tricky to make friends myself! I get so awkward in social situations and lack confidence.

If anyone would like a chat about anything then you can PM me :smile: Also, this is a great idea for a thread AmyBurge :smile:

By the way, I'm 22 and live in London :smile:
Original post by Advanced
Hello everyone :smile: I have trouble making friends and having just finished uni it is not nice being back at home during the summer and not really having anyone to talk to, I feel really lonely at the moment.

I have become a bit more sociable since meeting my girlfriend and I enjoy spending time with her friends but I find it so tricky to make friends myself! I get so awkward in social situations and lack confidence.

If anyone would like a chat about anything then you can PM me :smile: Also, this is a great idea for a thread AmyBurge :smile:

By the way, I'm 22 and live in London :smile:

Heyy!
Thanks for posting and I'm glad you like my thread! I thought it might be a good way to get people chatting :smile:

What did you study at uni? So what are your plans for the summer? :smile:
Hey guys, 17 year old here. When I missed a chuck of school I struggled to get back in, eventually leading to an 'out of education school' kinda thing, lead to months of tests, meeting and various sessions until, well I'm not sure really, I was told I might suffer from SA and had CBT sessions but I believe the root with me was confidence and it's sort of led into SA.

It didn't help when my close friends changed and I decided to break away from them and that left me with no real friends other than a guy who lives 100 miles away.
I can't walk into a room, shop or talk to people without feeling everyones watching me. I avoid eye contact and seem to get all 'clustered' and clumsy when speaking to new people.

It's weird because I'm the kind of person who can talk for England if I know you but meeting new people, talking in groups? Not a chance.

Before CBT I would even go as far as 'hiding' in bushes and trees when out walking to avoid others.

So anyhow, that's my situation and it's nice to see there's others that actually understand.

Quick Reply

Latest