The Student Room Group

A shocking experience with dentistry/medicine students!!

I was just at a family party and there were a number of medicine/dentistry students. i was talking to them about other degrees apart from dentistry and medicine and I was talking about bio-medicine pharmacy, optometry and some other courses. They all started laughing and said those courses are for rejects of medicine/dentistry. They said they often use their degree as a way to pick up girls too! I even heard about them saying that some of the students would bully the bio-med and pharmacy students calling them rejects.
They genuinely considered all these other degrees 'below' them, I really hope I dont turn into one of these guys because Im really considering medicine/dentistry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
As a soon to be dentistry student, Im not all too surprised about this.
Reply 2
I always wondered why Med students are so hot for themselves.
Being a MD or a Dentist is hardly meritocratic prestige anymore, just like a lot of degrees it requires AAA and you're in.

Don't be offended, there are always people who like to think they are better and talk down as such.
Reply 3
These degrees lost all credibility when universities started choosing males over females; despite the females having superior qualifications for the course.
Reply 4
Original post by Acidy
Being a MD or a Dentist is hardly meritocratic prestige anymore, just like a lot of degrees it requires AAA and you're in.

Don't be offended, there are always people who like to think they are better and talk down as such.

I agree medics/dentists can be arrogant.
But the comment in bold is far, far from the truth.
Reply 5
Original post by Margo_
These degrees lost all credibility when universities started choosing males over females; despite the females having superior qualifications for the course.

Wat? There are more female medicine/dentistry students than males
Original post by Acidy

I wish that was the case.
lol OP, one could argue that your comments in this thread you started were pretty arrogant and insulting: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=48444951 :p:
I wouldn't be surprised either, pretty much everyone I know who is doing biomed or pharmacy wanted to or applied to Medicine/Dentistry.

I have also found many Med & Dentistry students to be very snobbish.
Medicine students in superiority complex shocker.

In other news, the Pope confirms he considers himself a Catholic and scientists have concluded that water is indeed wet.
Reply 10
Original post by letsbehonest
I wish that was the case.

Plus fking one.
A*A*A and got one offer after two applications for dentistry lmfao.
Reply 11
And they graduate to be pompous ass professionals that wouldn't want to listen to their patient's concerns but their own.
Reply 12
If you meet those kind of students, just tell them you study maths. It works perfect. Because they are below Mathematicians/Physicist by far and they know it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by teen1234
Plus fking one.
A*A*A and got one offer after two applications for dentistry lmfao.

I feel u. I got 4 med rejections this year, about to take a gap year :')
Original post by sbj
If you meet those kind of students, just tell them you study maths. It works perfect. Because they are below Mathematicians/Physicians by far and they know it.

I think "physicists" was the word you were looking for. :p:

Physicians are doctors.
It's quite sad to think that they're the sort of people we go to when we have problems in life.

Obviously not every dentist/med student is like that. I know some genuinely lovely people that are med students, unfortunately there will always be a few arrogant ones among the bunch.
Reply 16
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I think "physicists" was the word you were looking for. :p:

Physicians are doctors.

Yeah, I edited that mistake before your post already but thank you anyway. English is my 3rd language, I knew I did there a mistake so I looked it up to be sure.
Reply 17
Original post by letsbehonest
I feel u. I got 4 med rejections this year, about to take a gap year :')

I had to take a gap year last year for dentistry. Shouldn't let it get you down, 60% of applicants for med/dent dont get a place,
No surprise. Not all of them are like that though. It tends to be the males with small dick syndromes, part of the reason they pick medicine in the first place. My best highschool female friend is in medicine and she's lovely and doesn't look down on anyone.
Reply 19
Original post by iammeyouareyou
It's quite sad to think that they're the sort of people we go to when we have problems in life.

Obviously not every dentist/med student is like that. I know some genuinely lovely people that are med students, unfortunately there will always be a few arrogant ones among the bunch.

Yep.

BTW, is that one of the duchesses of Russia?

Quick Reply

Latest