The Student Room Group

A shocking experience with dentistry/medicine students!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Joke's on them anyway. If they're anything like my parents (doctors), they'll work themselves to the bone and get caught up in the rat race, envying people who earn more than them and even people who get less (people in less stressful jobs and benefit claimants) never having much fun, then retire at 60 with all their youth gone and die.

Obviously the lot of many people isn't much better, and they retire at 67 now. But of all the lives you could choose, there are many that are better and more attainable than that of a doctor (though obviously for some people, perhaps being a doctor is the thing for them)

Their lives aren't that great. There are over 100,000 doctors in the UK, and at least 90,000 don't really stand out.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by kka25
Yep.

BTW, is that one of the duchesses of Russia?

Yes! It's Maria.
It's just people being nobs and showing off in front of each other. People don't tend to really think like that, especially as they progress through the years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by iammeyouareyou
Yes! It's Maria.

Tatiana is my favourite. She's gorgeous!
Reply 24
Original post by letsbehonest
I wish that was the case.

I have no sympathies for aptitude tests such as UKCAT if that's the strenuous extent to which you're implying. The same is necessary for other degrees i.e. Law.
Original post by Acidy
I have no sympathies for aptitude tests such as UKCAT if that's the strenuous extent to which you're implying. The same is necessary for other degrees i.e. Law.

So it's obviously not as simple as "AAA and you're in" then...
Reply 26
Original post by Acidy

Work experience volunteering and interviews. Student numbers are controlled by the government for med/dent/vet med, its a lot more competitive.
Original post by kka25
Tatiana is my favourite. She's gorgeous!

They're all so beautiful. I have a slight obsession with them. Olga's my favourite :smile: I love the pics of her with Tatiana.
Reply 28
Original post by iammeyouareyou
They're all so beautiful. I have a slight obsession with them. Olga's my favourite :smile: I love the pics of her with Tatiana.

Olga's beautiful as well. But she had somewhat of a large forehead :tongue:

She looked sad all the time though. Tatiana looked angry all the time :lol:
Original post by nohomo
Joke's on them anyway. If they're anything like my parents (doctors), they'll work themselves to the bone and get caught up in the rat race, envying people who earn more than them and even people who get less (people in less stressful jobs and benefit claimants) never having much fun, then retire at 60 with all their youth gone and die.

Obviously the lot of many people isn't much better, and they retire at 67 now. But of all the lives you could choose, there are many that are better and more attainable than that of a doctor (though obviously for some people, perhaps being a doctor is the thing for them)

Their lives aren't that great. There are over 100,000 doctors in the UK, and at least 90,000 don't really stand out.

And they also spend quite a bit more than the average graduate in studying.
Original post by Acidy

GCSEs matter a lot more than they do for other degrees, work experience, volunteering, interviews..
Reply 31
Original post by Chief Wiggum
So it's obviously not as simple as "AAA and you're in" then...

Calm down Chief
Original post by kka25
Olga's beautiful as well. But she had somewhat of a large forehead :tongue:

She looked sad all the time though. Tatiana looked angry all the time :lol:

Nooo don't say that!

Yeah, I noticed that too. Although formal photos aren't exactly a joy to pose for. There are a few informal photos of them smiling though.
Reply 33
Haha, why is this such a shock? It is a fact that medicine students look down on others and consider their course to be superior. It is an incredibly elitist course and universities like Cambridge and Oxford sustain the elitism in the UK education system. It is even evident on this website. Personally I don't understand the desire to study at either.
Original post by nohomo

Too true. The ones that are arrogant and got into the job for the wrong reasons will regret it. Only the ones who actually enjoy helping people will love their life.
Original post by Ben_S96
Haha, why is this such a shock? It is a fact that medicine students look down on others and consider their course to be superior. It is an incredibly elitist course and universities like Cambridge and Oxford sustain the elitism in the UK education system. It is even evident on this website. Personally I don't understand the desire to study at either.

Even UCAS reinforces the idea
October 15 - medicine/dentistry/vetmed and oxbridge
Reply 36
Original post by ando181
I was just at a family party and there were a number of medicine/dentistry students. i was talking to them about other degrees apart from dentistry and medicine and I was talking about bio-medicine pharmacy, optometry and some other courses. They all started laughing and said those courses are for rejects of medicine/dentistry. They said they often use their degree as a way to pick up girls too! I even heard about them saying that some of the students would bully the bio-med and pharmacy students calling them rejects.
They genuinely considered all these other degrees 'below' them, I really hope I dont turn into one of these guys because Im really considering medicine/dentistry

You have just described the average TSR member.. is it different when its said online?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can't stand people on any course with a superiority complex looking down on others for the course they have chosen. What angers me about med students though is how arrogant someone like that can be and yet those arrogant people make life and death decisions for patients by the time they finish their education and are practising medicine, although yes arrogant people can still be good doctors they tend not to be good listeners or sympathisers making them unlikely to be a great doctor, I would not want a doctor like that...unfortunately I have had a fair few of them.
Original post by Acidy
I always wondered why Med students are so hot for themselves.
Being a MD or a Dentist is hardly meritocratic prestige anymore, just like a lot of degrees it requires AAA and you're in.

Don't be offended, there are always people who like to think they are better and talk down as such.

This is wrong. This is wrong. This is wrong. This is wrong. This is wrong. This is wrong.

I got A*AA at A-level but had to bust my balls to get work experience, good score on UKCAT, do well at interview and take a gap year before I got my offer for Medicine.

Did I mention you're wrong.

You're ******* wrong.

:angry:

I would be so pissed off at you if you were in front of me right now.

sorry. venting some frustration here.....
Original post by ando181
Even UCAS reinforces the idea
October 15 - medicine/dentistry/vetmed and oxbridge

Thats because almost all of them need interviews before they get offers.

Quick Reply

Latest