The Student Room Group

I want to quit my apprenticeship so bad!!!

Hi all,

Well I am 16, coming on 17 soon at the moment I am doing a apprenticeship in business and admin level 2 in a office, and I hate it ! the people are really nice my boss is lovely I just don't feel this is the career for me , I don't feel like I belong here, I have been here for about 4 months now and Its really frustrating boring and depressing ! The pay Is decent and it is a Monday to Friday job, I really want to quit now and go to college in September and study Childcare do you guys think I should quit??? I am scared my manager will be disappointed or angry im suddenly leaving??

Help!

Thank you:smile::smile::smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Leave, I believe Apprenticeships lead to dead end jobs anyway with no future good career progression. Go College and go university. Degrees will then open doors for you
Reply 2
Original post by O.Ozz
Leave, I believe Apprenticeships lead to dead end jobs anyway with no future good career progression. Go College and go university. Degrees will then open doors for you

How do I go about quitting ?? how should I tell the manager?

Thanks!
Reply 3
Oh, sorry i meant leave if find it the job boring and it was my opinion that apprenticeships leads to poor progression as i have seen in my eyes and read articles how company treats apprentices as ****

To quit you could just call/text him or write a resignation letter either way?
Reply 4
Yes its very boring , and yes that is true . But its not that they don't treat me good its just I don't think its the career I want. And shouldn't I tell him in person ? What is a resignation letter . ?
Original post by O.Ozz
Oh, sorry i meant leave if find it the job boring and it was my opinion that apprenticeships leads to poor progression as i have seen in my eyes and read articles how company treats apprentices as ****

To quit you could just call/text him or write a resignation letter either way?

Never text or call, just face your boss, tell him face to face that you simply can't do it and its ****ing boring, he/she will have more respect toward you.
if you just call him "I'm not coming anymore" or even worse send a text "i'm not coming anymore" its just immature and they won't give you good references, which you might need.
If you explain to him polity that you had tried but found the job boring he/she should be ok, no one wants to have employee who hates a job.

does it make sense to you ?
Reply 6
Original post by MichaelChm
Never text or call, just face your boss, tell him face to face that you simply can't do it and its ****ing boring, he/she will have more respect toward you.
if you just call him "I'm not coming anymore" or even worse send a text "i'm not coming anymore" its just immature and they won't give you good references, which you might need.
If you explain to him polity that you had tried but found the job boring he/she should be ok, no one wants to have employee who hates a job.

does it make sense to you ?

Yes you are right I really could do with a reference , should I leave straight away or closer time to when im going college as I need the money.???

Thanks so much:smile:
Original post by anonymous288
Yes you are right I really could do with a reference , should I leave straight away or closer time to when im going college as I need the money.???

Thanks so much:smile:

Look, you seem to be quite smart, as you answered yourself the question you had asked me.

you need a plan what to do, think when your college/university stars ?
what do you need to do to meet requirements for your course,

than if you have a place at your college or uni tell your boss 1 or 2 months prior to the start of your course that you would like to resign as you find the job boring. show him respect, saying thank you for the opportunity but it is not my career path, people are nice, but job itself makes my miserable.
Reply 8
Original post by MichaelChm
Look, you seem to be quite smart, as you answered yourself the question you had asked me.

you need a plan what to do, think when your college/university stars ?
what do you need to do to meet requirements for your course,

than if you have a place at your college or uni tell your boss 1 or 2 months prior to the start of your course that you would like to resign as you find the job boring. show him respect, saying thank you for the opportunity but it is not my career path, people are nice, but job itself makes my miserable.

Right I see okay, I do already have a place at college . I just wasn't sure as to when I should quit and if it was the right thing to do. You have helped me made my decision quicker! Thankyouu a lot !:smile::smile:
Original post by anonymous288
Right I see okay, I do already have a place at college . I just wasn't sure as to when I should quit and if it was the right thing to do. You have helped me made my decision quicker! Thankyouu a lot !:smile::smile:

I am more than sure he will say, well.. i'm sorry to see you going, and he will ask you when would you like to leave?
managers are people as well :biggrin: all you need to do is talk to him honestly. he might ask you when your uni starts and if you could stay until beginning of your university so you don't leave straight away.
Just be polite and explain the situation, if you do it this way every normal manager should be fine and give you good references

glad that i could help :biggrin:
+5 to karma yaaaaaaaaay!
Yes that is true I would have to set up a meeting with both managers soon as my other manager is here, Ive been meaning to tell them sooner but was too afraid haha ! By the way its college not university :smile: but yeah you are right I will ask them ...

yesss :smile: haha !
Thanks again:biggrin:
If you are unhappy then leave, life is too short. You're only 16 so you have plenty of time still to find something you like. Also, I did a Business & Administration Level 2 course online for free after my degree just as something to do in my spare time and add to my CV - you really don't need an apprenticeship for that to be quite honest. It's basically just a certificate to say you can work in an office - that's not really a ticket to all your hopes and dreams.

Original post by O.Ozz

This.
You could use the business admin job as like stop gap and ask if you can go part time that way you still have money. I always believe that admin is dead end, keep thinking to yourself everyday that you are gonna be sitting in the same office when your 30,40, or 50 seeing the same people over and that alll your friends will have better jobs, lawyers, doctors and what would you rather do?

Nightworld1066
Make sure he his is definitely not what you want to do before you quit. Employers could look unfavourably upon you for quitting if you try get into a similar field or another apprenticeship later on. It could make you look uncommitted.
If you're not happy and you want to leave that's totally okay, but do it properly :smile:

1) Speak to your boss privately in person and express your concerns/how you feel.
2) Agree on when you're going to leave (preferably give as much notice as possible).
3) Write a letter of resignation.

That way you can leave, and get a reference which you need. :smile:

If you just walk out it will reflect really badly on you in the future.
Don't walk out that looks so bad on so many levels just follow what puddles said and if you need to get a part time Saturday job then get it

Nightworld1066
Original post by somethingbeautiful
if you are unhappy then leave, life is too short. You're only 16 so you have plenty of time still to find something you like. Also, i did a business & administration level 2 course online for free after my degree just as something to do in my spare time and add to my cv - you really don't need an apprenticeship for that to be quite honest. It's basically just a certificate to say you can work in an office - that's not really a ticket to all your hopes and dreams.

This.

thankyou!
Original post by iloveteddy14
You could use the business admin job as like stop gap and ask if you can go part time that way you still have money. I always believe that admin is dead end, keep thinking to yourself everyday that you are gonna be sitting in the same office when your 30,40, or 50 seeing the same people over and that alll your friends will have better jobs, lawyers, doctors and what would you rather do?

Nightworld1066

Agreed!

Thanks
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
If you're not happy and you want to leave that's totally okay, but do it properly :smile:

1) Speak to your boss privately in person and express your concerns/how you feel.
2) Agree on when you're going to leave (preferably give as much notice as possible).
3) Write a letter of resignation.

That way you can leave, and get a reference which you need. :smile:

If you just walk out it will reflect really badly on you in the future.

Thankyou! what is resignation letter?
Hi!
So im in the same situation and really meed help! I hope you guys will still comment on here for me!
Anyway, i am currently undertaking the business admin level 2 apprenticeship with an accountancy firm. I literally hate it. I have to open and close the office on my own nearly everyday, its run by only man and wife...this makes me feel rather outcasted as being their only employee. My manager constantly asks for me to make him coffees when he can clearly see ive got a load of work to be doing. And most of all which annoys me, is if they are to come into the office they are never on time and are usually hours late and then they leave early and give me awful jobs to do like shredding for the rest of the day until i go home!
I just recently left university for personal reasons to go to a structured working envrionment...and this is clearly not structured-nor what i expected! Also when i go to college one day a week i find it sooooooooo easy, ive passed all exams so far, and i see no point in me going as i find it that easy. They suggested going to do level 3, but i just think the entire thing is a load of rubbish tbh!

I have been offered a job with Fidelity Worldwide Investments company to work with their marketing data team which i am thrilled about. As i absolute despise where i work now, i just want to walk out right now and never go back. Today i took a day off as i feel unwell, also i just cant bear it anymore.

I already have a resignation letter written up but i feel bad to leave, but i shouldnt!! How long do i have to stay there after telling them i want to leave? I dont want it to be a week i want it to be instant lol! Is it the same as a normal job?-having to still work a few days/weeks after the letter, or as its an apprenticeship you can leave when you wish to leave the course?

Please help me!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending