The Student Room Group

Workplace 'bullies'/bosses - why are people so sensitive to this?

http://www.theguardian.com/money/us-money-blog/2014/jul/06/bullying-at-work-political-experiences-bullies-solutions

Back in the old days, a horrible boss was just that, a horrible boss. You knuckled down and you wait for the opportunity to decisively **** him over. There are always bones in the closet, this is especially true of a corporate firm. Same with colleagues, it is just workplace egos and competition and people expect work to be some nice place where everyone gets along. In reality, it is no different to a playground because humans do not change their base natures. You adapt or you figuratively die. These people at work are not friends, there are too many vested interests for that to be so. So why do people get so sentimental? If it was me, I'd be waiting for the first opportunity to climb the ladder.
Yep. It is nature's duty to kill anyone who isn't fit. The so-called "human rights bill" goes against the very essence of nature. There should be no excuses for unfit beings to live.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by shawn_o1
Yep. It is nature's duty to kill anyone who isn't fit. The so-called "human rights bill" goes against the very essence of nature. There should be no excuses for unfit beings to live.

Don't hyperbolise this, you know what I am saying is the reality of the matter. People just take this way too much to heart and do not see it for what it is, it is a game. Either your colleague reaps the benefits of such a workplace culture or you do. Inevitably, someone is going to get screwed over, people need to realise that they must play politics more so that the person screwed is not them.
And yet whose idea was it to be so overprotective that we don't teach the future generation(s) how to win and lose with dignity?
Original post by C.Almasy
http://www.theguardian.com/money/us-money-blog/2014/jul/06/bullying-at-work-political-experiences-bullies-solutions

Back in the old days, a horrible boss was just that, a horrible boss. You knuckled down and you wait for the opportunity to decisively **** him over. There are always bones in the closet, this is especially true of a corporate firm. Same with colleagues, it is just workplace egos and competition and people expect work to be some nice place where everyone gets along. In reality, it is no different to a playground because humans do not change their base natures. You adapt or you figuratively die. These people at work are not friends, there are too many vested interests for that to be so. So why do people get so sentimental? If it was me, I'd be waiting for the first opportunity to climb the ladder.

Because not everyone is a horrible person?
Reply 5
Original post by shawn_o1
And yet whose idea was it to be so overprotective that we don't teach the future generation(s) how to win and lose with dignity?

One of my only problems with British culture is how it seems to wrap its kids and young people in cotton wool. I was taught that people are fundamentally self-interested and would screw you over at the first viable opportunity... it has always served me well. It is not about winning and losing with dignity, it is about self-preservation and promotion. You do what you must to adapt and prosper in an environment... either that or your family (figuratively) does not get fed.
Reply 6
Because maybe people think a workplace where you knuckle down with the goal of "decisively **** your boss over" is not the ideal situation for business or sociological success.

To me, a work place should be a safe environment to work. Abuse should not play a part in the work place. A work place is where you do what you need to do and earn your keep. Abuse doesn't help the company, productivity does. The best way to be productive is to motivate workers to do the work. Abuse serves to do the opposite. It creates unnecessary problems and takes away focus from the real problems at hand. Competition is ok, but things between colleagues must and should remain civil. After all, you may have to rely on the same co-workers one day for help to bring the project to fruition.
Straight peg drones who talk of 'earning an honest living' always take the moral high ground. I have far more respect for criminals and bennie scroungers. 9-5 ers are just cowards.
Reply 9
Contemporary thinking would suggest happy employees are more motivated and this increases productivity. I for one can say that some of my managers have been friends and it has definitely helped create an atmosphere of trust and therefore increased productivity. Your thinking is simply out of date.
Reply 10
this is a main problem wrong with british culture so glad u mentioned it

One of my only problems with British culture is how it seems to wrap its kids and young people in cotton wool. I was taught that people are fundamentally self-interested and would screw you over at the first viable opportunity... it has always served me well. It is not about winning and losing with dignity, it is about self-preservation and promotion. You do what you must to adapt and prosper in an environment... either that or your family (figuratively) does not get fed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending