The Student Room Group

Industrial Placement Questions

Hi,

I recently applied for an industrial placement role at a company and I was offered an interview.

I went to the interview with 100% confidence, and answered all the questions. I already have interview experience in the past and used it to my advantage.

At first, I thought the interview went wrong, but I received a phone call stating that they were interested in me and that I have to come back to be interviewed by different members of the team.

Now I have a few questions...

What are my chances of getting the job, considering that a lot of candidates are not called back?

What should I do in the 2nd interview?

What sort of questions should I ask at the 2nd interview?

Will the 2nd interview be formal or informal?

Should I accept an offer of tea/coffee/water at the interview?

Any tips/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by po10tial
Hi,

I recently applied for an industrial placement role at a company and I was offered an interview.

I went to the interview with 100% confidence, and answered all the questions. I already have interview experience in the past and used it to my advantage.

At first, I thought the interview went wrong, but I received a phone call stating that they were interested in me and that I have to come back to be interviewed by different members of the team.

Now I have a few questions...

What are my chances of getting the job, considering that a lot of candidates are not called back?

What should I do in the 2nd interview?

What sort of questions should I ask at the 2nd interview?

Will the 2nd interview be formal or informal?

Should I accept an offer of tea/coffee/water at the interview?

Any tips/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Not been in the situation, but from what I'd think:

1) Unsure, as it depends on how many candidates are called back, how many vacancies there are open. However, if a lot of candidates have not been called back for a second interview then obviously your chances have greatly improved.
2) Exactly the same as you did in the first - be clear, concise in your answers, and try to give as much detail as possible.
3) Anything you feel like! probably the finer details of the job description, any perks? Things like that. But avoid asking about the salary obviously.
4) Unknown, but I would be guessing formal. It's an industrial placement so it's a chance to show just how professional you are. That doesn't stop you from trying to make a joke or two during the interview - if it gets you remembered, then you're remembered. My brother was remembered from his apprenticeship interview last year due to his shiny cyan tie.
5) Up to you - I personally wouldn't as it's a way of allowing me to get distracted (and interviewers look at body language and other things, as well as your answers to the questions). But if your throat is dry, and you feel like you need it, then I do not see any harm in accepting the offer

Hope this helps in some way :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by MalteseMalteser
Not been in the situation, but from what I'd think:

1) Unsure, as it depends on how many candidates are called back, how many vacancies there are open. However, if a lot of candidates have not been called back for a second interview then obviously your chances have greatly improved.
2) Exactly the same as you did in the first - be clear, concise in your answers, and try to give as much detail as possible.
3) Anything you feel like! probably the finer details of the job description, any perks? Things like that. But avoid asking about the salary obviously.
4) Unknown, but I would be guessing formal. It's an industrial placement so it's a chance to show just how professional you are. That doesn't stop you from trying to make a joke or two during the interview - if it gets you remembered, then you're remembered. My brother was remembered from his apprenticeship interview last year due to his shiny cyan tie.
5) Up to you - I personally wouldn't as it's a way of allowing me to get distracted (and interviewers look at body language and other things, as well as your answers to the questions). But if your throat is dry, and you feel like you need it, then I do not see any harm in accepting the offer

Hope this helps in some way :smile:

Thanks for your advice.

I am competing against one other candidate in the second round so its a 50:50 chance. But I really want the job... what advice could you give?

I will be practicing with a friend
Thanks for your advice.

I am competing against one other candidate in the second round so its a 50:50 chance. But I really want the job... what advice could you give?

I will be practicing with a friend

How about if you try to know the industry and the job inside out? the finer details? practice maths if needs be?
Reply 4
How about if you try to know the industry and the job inside out? the finer details? practice maths if needs be?

Definitely. I have done a lot of research into the industry, the job spec etc

I am competing against another candidate and have a 50:50 chance. How can I stand out, because I lost out to another candidate on a 1 v 1...
The way you dress? just little hints of professional but eccentric/stylish flair? nothing is really going to set you apart more than how much you know and how in-depth/accurate your replies are.

After that, it's down to the questions that you ask.
Since they have invited you back, you obviously have a chance :smile:

As far as advice goes, I'd say the usual, read through the company pages, make sure you understand the job specs. Be prepared for the usual questions - "why should we hire you? what are your strengths and weaknesses? where do you see yourself in x years time?"

Also, you haven't mentioned the field, but if its something technical, it always helps to talk about some projects you might have done in your uni which are related to the job.

All the best!
Reply 7
Original post by synaxerror
Since they have invited you back, you obviously have a chance :smile:

As far as advice goes, I'd say the usual, read through the company pages, make sure you understand the job specs. Be prepared for the usual questions - "why should we hire you? what are your strengths and weaknesses? where do you see yourself in x years time?"

Also, you haven't mentioned the field, but if its something technical, it always helps to talk about some projects you might have done in your uni which are related to the job.

All the best!

Thanks for your response.

Now that you have mentioned some questions, I am not sure how to answer them...

Why should we hire you?

What is a good response for this question?

Also, I have a 50:50 chance and really want the job more than the other candidate.

Any tips?
Reply 8
The way you dress? just little hints of professional but eccentric/stylish flair? nothing is really going to set you apart more than how much you know and how in-depth/accurate your replies are.

After that, it's down to the questions that you ask.

Thanks for the reply.

How would I answer this question...
"Why should we hire you?"
Thanks for the reply.

How would I answer this question...
"Why should we hire you?"

Answer me this:

"What skills and qualities do you have? and which ones are invaluable?"
"Why should we hire you?" can be used to catch the candidate off guard. But in the end they're just asking what are your strongest skill sets, personality traits and how they would fit in with the job requirements and the company culture.

When I was asked this question, I commented on my strong technical skills, leadership skills, desire to learn along with relevant examples.
Reply 11
Original post by synaxerror
"Why should we hire you?" can be used to catch the candidate off guard. But in the end they're just asking what are your strongest skill sets, personality traits and how they would fit in with the job requirements and the company culture.

When I was asked this question, I commented on my strong technical skills, leadership skills, desire to learn along with relevant examples.

I don't want to come as a too cocky character, but at the same time I don't want to come across as a weak character.

I've got through to the second and final round, and I am just really trying to prepare for the toughest possible questions, in the case that if I do get asked these questions - I won't panic and black out
Reply 12
Answer me this:

"What skills and qualities do you have? and which ones are invaluable?"

I possess the following skills/traits

Confidence

Leadership

Motivation

Initiative

Team player

All are invaluable to the job I am applying for
I possess the following skills/traits

Confidence

Leadership

Motivation

Initiative

Team player

All are invaluable to the job I am applying for

Then there's your answer :smile:
Reply 14
Then there's your answer :smile:

Yeah but what else can you say?

I desperately want this job. It means a lot and I know I am up against anothsr candidate. How can I have an edge against this candidate?
Reply 15
Also, when is the best time to have an interview? Morning, lunch or evening?
Yeah but what else can you say?

I desperately want this job. It means a lot and I know I am up against anothsr candidate. How can I have an edge against this candidate?

Say that you're innovative in your methods and your thinking? I don't know what else there is to say - there's no set mark scheme for interview answers, otherwise we'd all have top-paying jobs :lol:

Also, when is the best time to have an interview? Morning, lunch or evening?

Whenever you're ready. I'd have mine late morning/early afternoon to allow myself time to prepare that morning, and I wouldn't be too tired due to waking up early or it being late in the day.
Reply 17
Say that you're innovative in your methods and your thinking? I don't know what else there is to say - there's no set mark scheme for interview answers, otherwise we'd all have top-paying jobs :lol:

Whenever you're ready. I'd have mine late morning/early afternoon to allow myself time to prepare that morning, and I wouldn't be too tired due to waking up early or it being late in the day.

My interview may be scheduled in the morning, and I don't really mind that. I really want the job, but I don't want to go to the interview if the time is of an inconvenience to the employer.

As I am up against one other candidate, what is the best possible edge?

My interview may be scheduled in the morning, and I don't really mind that. I really want the job, but I don't want to go to the interview if the time is of an inconvenience to the employer.

As I am up against one other candidate, what is the best possible edge?

The interview will never be at a time unsuitable for the employer. s/he is the one who is hiring for work, and output is his/her priority. That means they'll only hold the interview when they are ready to have the interview.

And really, I don't think it matters when you have the interview. If you go first, it sets the bar for the other candidate - even though he doesn't know what the bar standard is. If you go afterwards, you're more memorable, but your answers will have to at least equal the bar set by the other candidate.
Reply 19
The interview will never be at a time unsuitable for the employer. s/he is the one who is hiring for work, and output is his/her priority. That means they'll only hold the interview when they are ready to have the interview.

And really, I don't think it matters when you have the interview. If you go first, it sets the bar for the other candidate - even though he doesn't know what the bar standard is. If you go afterwards, you're more memorable, but your answers will have to at least equal the bar set by the other candidate.

Yeah this is really a tough call. I really want this job bad.

Been 1 on 1 with candidates in the past and I have lost. I don't know why, but I am grateful that they were for roles that I didn't like.

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask, what happens if I can't do a task that the employer gives me (due to being inexperienced and a student)? Will they shout and fire me? I always fear this will happen, because I want to go to the placement learning skills, but if I **** up will they fire me?
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending