The Student Room Group

Is A level Physics for me?

Okay, so i might pick physics as an A level. How is this A level? Is it possible to get an A if you work very hard from the start?

Scroll to see replies

Depends on what you got in GCSE, what your current physics weaknesses are, how adept you are at maths etc etc
What did you/do you think you'll get at GCSE (for physics and maths), what are your other choices, what are your longterm plans?
Original post by loperdoper
Depends on what you got in GCSE, what your current physics weaknesses are, how adept you are at maths etc etc
What did you/do you think you'll get at GCSE (for physics and maths), what are your other choices, what are your longterm plans?

Picking BIO, CHEM, but debating whether i should pick either, English Lit, Maths or Physics. Its a tough choice.
I have A in science. Double Award. I have a B in Maths. But thats only in exams, when i actually do questions that are A/A*, i can do them. Exams just don't give me that chance. I guess its the exams that count.
Original post by LECTERN LOBBY
Hi there ! Of course it is ''possible'' to get an A. To maximise your chances through the correct study method snd revision strategy, why not follow me on here. I give good general advice and always reply to individual requests.
The art of doing great in physics AS and A2 exams is (besides being able to recall methods and info) to PRACTICE PRACTICE ORACTICE all types of calculation steps your likely to encounter.
This may seem an obvious statement, but many many physics students LOSE MARKS due to inaccuracies in their calculations esp since marks are awarded for tge calculation 'steps'.
If you know in your heart that you wont practice theses over and over before exam, then I would say its sensible to opt for a subject with more free prose allowed in the answers.
Hope that helps
Good Luck.
Any questions...just ask the LECTERN LOBBY !

Thanks, thats great advice. I love how you say anythings possible. It really motivates the student you know. Btw, what if you're not too fond of maths? I dont mind maths, but i wouldnt say i love it. Is there a lot of maths in physics? How much?
Original post by Dumbledore'sArmy
Picking BIO, CHEM, but debating whether i should pick either, English Lit, Maths or Physics. Its a tough choice.
I have A in science. Double Award. I have a B in Maths. But thats only in exams, when i actually do questions that are A/A*, i can do them. Exams just don't give me that chance. I guess its the exams that count.

I would err about doing three sciences at a-level if you haven't done triple science. In double science (at least the exam boards my school did), you only do six modules per science, and in triple you do seven. The seventh unit is the bridge between GCSE and a-level. I know a couple of kids who came to a-level from double science, one was doing biology and chemistry but had to drop chemistry because they really struggled without the base unit.
And you need maths for physics, especially if you're coming from a B at GCSE and double science. It's not so maths-y at GCSE, but at A-level it's all maths. I came from an A in maths and a B in physics at GCSE to A-level and I really struggled in AS (I'm hoping for a C but a D is likely). You get mathematical concepts wrapped in physics terms, where you then have to explain why the maths works in the physics.

Of course, I'm only speaking from experience. If you believe that you have the dedication and the will to work hard, getting a good grade isn't impossible. I say you need A-level maths, although I was working alongside a guy who wasn't taking it, and he's looking at a B in the AS results (came up from A in maths and physics I think, maybe A*)
Reply 5
Original post by LECTERN LOBBY
Hi there ! Of course it is ''possible'' to get an A. To maximise your chances through the correct study method snd revision strategy, why not follow me on here. I give good general advice and always reply to individual requests.

Any questions...just ask the LECTERN LOBBY !

ummm... you joined today?
Original post by loperdoper
I would err about doing three sciences at a-level if you haven't done triple science. In double science (at least the exam boards my school did), you only do six modules per science, and in triple you do seven. The seventh unit is the bridge between GCSE and a-level. I know a couple of kids who came to a-level from double science, one was doing biology and chemistry but had to drop chemistry because they really struggled without the base unit.
And you need maths for physics, especially if you're coming from a B at GCSE and double science. It's not so maths-y at GCSE, but at A-level it's all maths. I came from an A in maths and a B in physics at GCSE to A-level and I really struggled in AS (I'm hoping for a C but a D is likely). You get mathematical concepts wrapped in physics terms, where you then have to explain why the maths works in the physics.

Of course, I'm only speaking from experience. If you believe that you have the dedication and the will to work hard, getting a good grade isn't impossible. I say you need A-level maths, although I was working alongside a guy who wasn't taking it, and he's looking at a B in the AS results (came up from A in maths and physics I think, maybe A*)

Thanks for the advice. Very helpful. Im really willing to put in the hard work. I need help deciding whether i should take Maths or physics i really dont know.
Thanks, thats great advice. I love how you say anythings possible. It really motivates the student you know. Btw, what if you're not too fond of maths? I dont mind maths, but i wouldnt say i love it. Is there a lot of maths in physics? How much?

I would never discourage anyone from doing physics as it is an amazing subject. However I would be wary about doing it if you don't like maths as it is totally maths orientated. Further only having double science is a concern as there is physics experience you will have missed out on.

However if you are prepared to work very hard then there is absolutely no reason you cannot get your head around the maths and do well in physics speaking from experience. You are the only person who knows if you will do that but if you do it will be well worth the effort

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the advice. Very helpful. Im really willing to put in the hard work. I need help deciding whether i should take Maths or physics i really dont know.

Well, I dropped physics a week after the final exam (in Year 12 you start A2 lessons for a month or so after AS exams), so I'm somewhat biased towards maths. If you enjoy maths, pick maths. If you don't enjoy maths, don't pick either. If you adore physics and have a good mathematical mind to back up your science, pick physics.
Original post by Sammy Lanka
I would never discourage anyone from doing physics as it is an amazing subject. However I would be wary about doing it if you don't like maths as it is totally maths orientated. Further only having double science is a concern as there is physics experience you will have missed out on.

However if you are prepared to work very hard then there is absolutely no reason you cannot get your head around the maths and do well in physics speaking from experience. You are the only person who knows if you will do that but if you do it will be well worth the effort

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks very motivational in a way. When you say "speaking from experience"- can you elaborate? It really helps me when ive heard some anecdotes to decide on what i want to do. THanks very much
Reply 10
Okay, so i might pick physics as an A level. How is this A level? Is it possible to get an A if you work very hard from the start?

If you work hard then it is possible. If you didn't do triple science then you will start a little behind though and should probably try to look at some content to make up for this. What year are you in at the moment and when do you make your choices?

Also, how good are you at maths and science in general?
Reply 11
Hello! I did double science at school (didn't have a choice) and this was nine years ago... I did AS physics last year and came out with a strong A. So it's very possible :smile: I kept it on this year and was on target for an A/A* (sadly I found the exams hard so the A* is not happening but ah well). I also got a B in maths at GCSE.

Not going to lie: it's hard. I found the mechanics unit particularly difficult in the first year (I did OCR A), having always found maths a bit trickier than everything else. It's VERY maths-y. BUT. Physics is also one of the most interesting A-levels and I really enjoyed the content, despite the maths (which got easier over time! As you get into it you can handle it better, or so I found). The exams can be hard, I did the January exams last year before they stopped them and came out with a C in mechanics. However, with a lot of support from a great teacher and effort, I managed to get it to an A in the resit last summer. I think the teacher is vital: if you've got a good one, you will find it a lot easier.

It is effort and a lot of hard work, physics. You do need to dedicate a lot of time to it. Some of the past paper questions had my head in knots. But it's also exceptionally rewarding and would give you a strong foundation to go into the sciences if you wanted to. I did biology, chemistry, physics and maths (at AS - it's helpful to do this with physics but not absolutely essential, I dropped it at A2 because I wasn't enjoying the subject) and yes, found it challenging. Especially the exams this year. But it's not impossible and if you're willing to put the effort in then you should be fine. Hope I helped and best of luck choosing :smile:
Thanks very motivational in a way. When you say "speaking from experience"- can you elaborate? It really helps me when ive heard some anecdotes to decide on what i want to do. THanks very much

I did physics AS this year. I had an a in maths but hated it and over last summer forgot pretty much every mathematical skill I had ever learnt and was getting 7% in assessed home works (worst in the college) and was nearly kicked off the course. However I went to support sessions in my free periods and went to lunchtime sessions for help with homework as well. By the January mocks I had got up to a c grade and was extremely relieved. At that time I dropped my 4 th subject and decided that if I was only going to have 3 AS grades I had to make sure they were as good as possible so when I was told I no longer had to come to the sessions I asked if I could keep going to ensure I got the best grade possible.

Skip forward a few months and in my final revision I was getting a grades in every past paper I did so am hoping to get an a in the summer.

Basically I went from a U grade 3 months into the course to hopefully an A thins summer. My recommendation is that even if you are really struggling with hard work you can always get better and also do every past paper multiple times.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lerjj
If you work hard then it is possible. If you didn't do triple science then you will start a little behind though and should probably try to look at some content to make up for this. What year are you in at the moment and when do you make your choices?

Also, how good are you at maths and science in general?

Science i would say I'm good in. I normally get A or A*'s in mocks. Maths, i would get B's. Theres something about GCSE maths that is challenging to me. Whilst i find the work generally easy, like Sin Cos tan rules and all the other A* questions, when it comes to the exams, they just word the question horribly and associate the questions to real life situations.
Original post by Andaxay
Hello! I did double science at school (didn't have a choice) and this was nine years ago... I did AS physics last year and came out with a strong A. So it's very possible :smile: I kept it on this year and was on target for an A/A* (sadly I found the exams hard so the A* is not happening but ah well). I also got a B in maths at GCSE.

Not going to lie: it's hard. I found the mechanics unit particularly difficult in the first year (I did OCR A), having always found maths a bit trickier than everything else. It's VERY maths-y. BUT. Physics is also one of the most interesting A-levels and I really enjoyed the content, despite the maths (which got easier over time! As you get into it you can handle it better, or so I found). The exams can be hard, I did the January exams last year before they stopped them and came out with a C in mechanics. However, with a lot of support from a great teacher and effort, I managed to get it to an A in the resit last summer. I think the teacher is vital: if you've got a good one, you will find it a lot easier.

It is effort and a lot of hard work, physics. You do need to dedicate a lot of time to it. Some of the past paper questions had my head in knots. But it's also exceptionally rewarding and would give you a strong foundation to go into the sciences if you wanted to. I did biology, chemistry, physics and maths (at AS - it's helpful to do this with physics but not absolutely essential, I dropped it at A2 because I wasn't enjoying the subject) and yes, found it challenging. Especially the exams this year. But it's not impossible and if you're willing to put the effort in then you should be fine. Hope I helped and best of luck choosing :smile:

Thankyou great advice there. I really dont know whether to choose between Physics or Maths though.
I did physics AS this year. I had an a in maths but hated it and over last summer forgot pretty much every mathematical skill I had ever learnt and was getting 7% in assessed home works (worst in the college) and was nearly kicked off the course. However I went to support sessions in my free periods and went to lunchtime sessions for help with homework as well. By the January mocks I had got up to a c grade and was extremely relieved. At that time I dropped my 4 th subject and decided that if I was only going to have 3 AS grades I had to make sure they were as good as possible so when I was told I no longer had to come to the sessions I asked if I could keep going to ensure I got the best grade possible.

Skip forward a few months and in my final revision I was getting a grades in every past paper I did so am hoping to get an a in the summer.

Basically I went from a U grade 3 months into the course to hopefully an A thins summer. My recommendation is that even if you are really struggling with hard work you can always get better and also do every past paper multiple times.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks very much. So which subject would you say is harder. Maths or physics?
Thanks very much. So which subject would you say is harder. Maths or physics?

I didn't do a level maths but the people I know that did say physics is harder but more enjoyable

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didn't do a level maths but the people I know that did say physics is harder but more enjoyable

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice. If im not particularly good at maths, is physics a better option?
Thanks for the advice. If im not particularly good at maths, is physics a better option?

One thing I've learnt this year is that if you do a subject you must love it so if maths is not your favorite then I would definitely not take it

Posted from TSR Mobile
One thing I've learnt this year is that if you do a subject you must love it so if maths is not your favorite then I would definitely not take it

Posted from TSR Mobile

I nearing towards Physics now. I like maths at times, but i dont particularly enjoy it as much as Science. So even if im alright at maths, not particularly amazing, i can still do physics? (Sorry to be so repetitive. I'm just really confused)

Quick Reply

Latest