The Student Room Group

Must see places to visit in Europe?

I am going to hopefully be back-packing it with a friend in a months time or so. We fancy getting an InterRail ticket each.

So, give me some suggestions please? We have nowhere to start, except we both love the idea of Germany so that is a priority for us.

Scroll to see replies

Cracow is a must see.

Rich history, lots of antiques, museums of any kind, rich nightlife.
One of the biggest European main squares, charming Jewish district, lots of museums of any kind, interestin "Nowa Huta" distric - the communist urbanistic experiment. There are also nice valleys just west from the city, a perfect place for a bike trip. Actually, the city is big enough for weeks or maybe months of sightseeing. Other places in Poland I do not reccomend for a railing tour, because Polish railways can be real pain.
Original post by PTMalewski
Cracow is a must see.

Rich history, lots of antiques, museums of any kind, rich nightlife.
One of the biggest European main squares, charming Jewish district, lots of museums of any kind, interestin "Nowa Huta" distric - the communist urbanistic experiment. There are also nice valleys just west from the city, a perfect place for a bike trip. Actually, the city is big enough for weeks or maybe months of sightseeing. Other places in Poland I do not reccomend for a railing tour, because Polish railways can be real pain.

Cracow? Do you mean Krakow?
Yes, in Polish Kraków to be exact.
Original post by lxbsly
I am going to hopefully be back-packing it with a friend in a months time or so. We fancy getting an InterRail ticket each.

So, give me some suggestions please? We have nowhere to start, except we both love the idea of Germany so that is a priority for us.

Munich, Berlin, Amsterdam, Prague, Vienna.
Original post by lxbsly

Córdoba (Spain), Innsbruck (Austria), Munich has been mentioned, Koblenz (Germany). Not necessarily the top places, just places I've really enjoyed. I know you said you want to inter rail, but meinfernbus is an excellent (and extremely cheap) bus company if you go round Germany.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Istanbul
Barcelona (Spain), Granada (Spain), Heidelberg (Germany), Freiburg (Germany), Vienna (Austria), Budapest (Hungary), Gothenburg (Sweden).

Plenty more but those are my top recommendations.
Reply 8
Birmingham.
Reply 9
Kinda the corner of Europe, but Istanbul.
Original post by jelly1000

Berlin is a ****hole full of chavs and turks.

Would recommend Hamburg as a second city in Germany.
Being a geographer, I have a compulsion to say everywhere! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil
Berlin is a ****hole full of chavs and turks.

Would recommend Hamburg as a second city in Germany.

I've not been personally but only heard good things from people I know- they rate it one of their favourite cities in Europe.
Rome - Coliseum, Pantheon, Forum, Trevi Fountain, a basilica or two

Barcelona - La Sagrada Familia, Gaudi's House

Istanbul - The Blue Mosque, Basilica Cistern, Bosphorus River

Paris - Notre Dame Cathedral, Louvre, Eiffel Tower
Reply 14
Original post by jelly1000

Thank you. I have looked on Google Maps. Those suggestions look pretty ideal. Gotta get Amsterdam in there if you're going on a trip round Europe :P

Original post by Butterfly9595
Córdoba (Spain), Innsbruck (Austria), Munich has been mentioned, Koblenz (Germany). Not necessarily the top places, just places I've really enjoyed. I know you said you want to inter rail, but meinfernbus is an excellent (and extremely cheap) bus company if you go round Germany.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohh, Innsbruck is a new suggestion. Thank you, I will take a look now, it sounds interesting.
Also the bus suggestion helps, as incase i don't get enough money in time we did plan on just travelling Germany.

Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Rome - Coliseum, Pantheon, Forum, Trevi Fountain, a basilica or two

Barcelona - La Sagrada Familia, Gaudi's House

Istanbul - The Blue Mosque, Basilica Cistern, Bosphorus River

Paris - Notre Dame Cathedral, Louvre, Eiffel Tower

Paris! I actually had that on my list as a rough suggestion at the start. But digging deeper I found the InterRail ticket is relatively useless in France. Their rail network charge extra for thier trains, up to 50 euros! So to get in and out of France, it would be nearing 100 euros. Same goes for Italy, which really sucks as I'd love to visit Rome.
Bolton

Wigan

Blackburn

Burnley

Preston

Blackpool
Reply 16
Original post by lxbsly

Levels. 1 being the highest priority.

level 1:
Paris
Istanbul

level 2:
madrid
berlin
rome

level 3
bilbao
Lisbon
florence