The Student Room Group

A level chemistry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mynameisntbobk
Hold on, you're 15 years old so I highly doubt you've done your GCSEs let alone A-level chemistry. I don't know what make you think you're superior to others but you need to get off your high horse. Chemistry is not an easy A-level so it's totally unfounded for you to say that. Maybe when you actually start it you can judge others. Until then, show a little respect

Just finished my GCSEs. (August baby. ><)
We had to learn the first unit of ASlevel Chemistry and do an entry exam on the taster day of the sixth form and yes, it was hard, but it wasn't exactly mind blowing stuff. Just built on top of GCSEs really.
(We do AQA Alevel Chemistry at my sixth form, so maybe it's easier or something?)
I don't think I'm superior to others, stop using that as a baseless accusation to make someone seem like what they're saying is based off of a superiority complex. It's pathetic.
Just like saying "Hurr you haven't done an Alevel exam so you can't say anything".
Uhm yus I have, and I've looked at the specification and it's not as bad as Physics. Physics is too hard for me to ever be able to understand at Alevel.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by HappyHylian
Just finished my GCSEs. (August baby. ><)
We had to learn the first unit of Alevel Chemistry and do an entry exam on the taster day of the sixth form and yes, it was hard, but it wasn't exactly mind blowing stuff. Just built on top of GCSEs really.
(We do AQA Alevel Chemistry at my sixth form, so maybe it's easier or something?)
I don't think I'm superior to others, stop using that as a baseless accusation to make someone seem like what they're saying is based off of a superiority complex. It's pathetic.
Just like saying "Hurr you haven't done an Alevel exam so you can't say anything".
Uhm yus I have, and I've looked at the specification and it's not as bad as Physics. Physics is too hard for me to ever be able to understand at Alevel.

Congrats on finishing your GCSEs. You better enjoy summer while it lasts.
The first unit is always the easiest (I did AQA) so I don't really understand it's relevance in this. Until you've done unit 4 or 5, then you honestly can't judge how easy it'll be because unit 1 is NOTHING compared to the rest.
And you obviously do.. You hoping to laugh at someone's failure = you thinking you're better than them = you thinking you're superior. You do honestly realise that what you said is offensive right?
I didn't say anything about exams, because there are harder exams than chem ones such as bio ones, but passing one doesn't mean you'll pass them all. I don't do physics so I can't compare but most of my friends who did both chem and physics dropped chem.. Take from that what you may!
(edited 9 years ago)
Depends what exam board you are on. Generally speaking it is a tough a-level. Some will find it easier than others

I thought it wasn't too bad, managed to get an A overall for the complete A-level and was really pleased.
Congrats on finishing your GCSEs. You better enjoy summer while it lasts.
The first unit is always the easiest (I did AQA) so I don't really understand it's relevance in this. Until you've done unit 4 or 5, then you honestly can't judge how easy it'll be because unit 1 is NOTHING compared to the rest.
And you obviously do.. You hoping to laugh at someone's failure = you thinking you're better than them = you thinking you're superior. You do honestly realise that what you said is offensive right?
I didn't say anything about exams, because there are harder exams than chem ones such as bio ones, but passing one doesn't mean you'll pass them all. I don't do physics so I can't complain but most of my friends who did both chem and physics dropped chem.. Take from that what you may!

Thanks, it feels like it's going by so quickly actually! xD
Yes, okay, obviously unit 4/5 is harder. The person I wanted to laugh at said they got a U in AS LEVEL, which isn't unit 4/5.
Hoping to laugh at someone = shaming them for wasting time/money/effort of teachers+exam boards+themselves = hoping they learn from it. I didn't mean to be offensive or seem like I'm trying to be superior. :x If they got a U but said that they revised as much as they could and was really upset then I wouldn't laugh because it's not their fault.
(edited 9 years ago)
Thanks, it feels like it's going by so quickly actually! xD
Yes, okay, obviously unit 4/5 is harder. The person I wanted to laugh at said they got a U in AS LEVEL, which isn't unit 4/5.
Hoping to laugh at someone = shaming them for wasting time/money/effort of teachers+exam boards+themselves = hoping they learn from it. I didn't mean to be offensive or seem like I'm trying to be superior. :x If they got a U but said that they revised as much as they could and was really upset then I wouldn't laugh because it's not their fault.

and who said it was my fault? tbh you know absolutely nothing about me or my school life, you aren't really in a position to judge me or anyone else. I didn't waste anyone's money or time or effort. I didn't even take the chemistry AS at my own school and I'm pretty sure that the exam boards don't care if someone fails and exam; they are still getting what they want. Not everyone can get an A in an exam, it's physically impossible. No one knows what to expect when they go into A level since GCSE's are such a breeze in comparison so imo you can't do everything possible to pass an exam (especially if its your first time sitting an a level exam), yeah some people might just be 'smart' and be able to do anything and everything but that's a VERY small minority and like I said earlier, what other people get in their exams has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU! Yeah I got a U and so what? It didn't affect me or my chance of getting to university or putting my all into the rest of my A levels, hell I'm predicted better grades this year than I was last year.
Original post by chl0eellen
and who said it was my fault? tbh you know absolutely nothing about me or my school life, you aren't really in a position to judge me or anyone else. I didn't waste anyone's money or time or effort. I didn't even take the chemistry AS at my own school and I'm pretty sure that the exam boards don't care if someone fails and exam; they are still getting what they want. Not everyone can get an A in an exam, it's physically impossible. No one knows what to expect when they go into A level since GCSE's are such a breeze in comparison so imo you can't do everything possible to pass an exam (especially if its your first time sitting an a level exam), yeah some people might just be 'smart' and be able to do anything and everything but that's a VERY small minority and like I said earlier, what other people get in their exams has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU! Yeah I got a U and so what? It didn't affect me or my chance of getting to university or putting my all into the rest of my A levels, hell I'm predicted better grades this year than I was last year.

"and who said it was my fault?"
The same person that said they should have revised more.. which was yourself! :rolleyes:

"what other people get in their exams has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU!"
Lel. You can't really say that when you post your results on a forum which discusses grades and everything. ^^;

"Not everyone can get an A in an exam"
Never said they could. But I'd have hoped that to start studying an Alevel the candidate was predicted to get at least an E and was capable of getting that grade.

"tbh you know absolutely nothing about me or my school life, you aren't really in a position to judge me or anyone else"
Oh this is the typical "I've lost this argument so now I'll try and get a sympathy vote" sentence, so I'll bid you farewell and good luck in getting the 'better grades' than a U. xD
(edited 9 years ago)
First of all it's a tough A-level, mainly due to the fact of the volume and things you need to remember.

It's going to be very different to GCSE and the transition is a very large one.

The key thing is to keep on top of things from day 1. I would really advise that you write notes covering everything you need to know as the textbook (if you are sitting AQA) does not always cover everything. So here my advice is to use more than one source, the big CGP book for AQA is very good and so is http://a-levelchemistry.co.uk/ .

But the most important aspect of this course is EXAM TECHNIQUE. If you don't practise your knowledge with past papers and thereby learn anything you get wrong or have not came across before, you are likely to fail.

If you do everything properly you should get a decent grade.
Revise transition metal colours until you can regurgitate them in your sleep.
Oh this is the typical "I've lost this argument so now I'll try and get a sympathy vote" sentence, so I'll bid you farewell and good luck in getting the 'better grades' than a U. xD

actually I'm predicted A*AA for the rest of my exams thankyou very much, and i'm sitting pretty much at those grades so stfu
actually I'm predicted A*AA for the rest of my exams thankyou very much, and i'm sitting pretty much at those grades so stfu

Good luck in actually getting those grades...

stfu

(edited 9 years ago)
Hold on, you're 15 years old so I highly doubt you've done your GCSEs let alone A-level chemistry. I don't know what make you think you're superior to others but you need to get off your high horse. Chemistry is not an easy A-level so it's totally unfounded for you to say that. Maybe when you actually start it you can judge others. Until then, show a little respect

Omg seriously u're only 15??? Then pls stop talking like u know everything
Reply 31
1. This is pretty much the As chem bible http://chemrevise.org/revision-guides/ (if youre doing aqa)
2. I found the Chemistry student book from nelson thornes extremely helpful (if youre doing aqa ofc) but some people didnt like it
3. Do all the past papers within a month of your exam (not too late, not too early, atleast thats what i did) if youre lucky a similar question might pop up
4. pay attention to markschemes to know how examiners expect you to answer, and what they dont accept.
5. I wrote a page full of mechanisms, diagrams, names of reactions, the name of their mechanisms and their conditions, which i also found very helpful
6. make your own set of notes to revise from, the writing kinda helps you soak more of it in than just plain reading other peoples notes.
7. Try to stay ontop of work generally, i remember doing a 'chapter' a day during christmas (where i attempted to finish unit 1 completely) . Unit 2 was alittle more difficult since i had tons of exams and had to refresh unit one too, so yeah try get revision of your unit 1s done during December/January
8. There is a specification pdf on your exam boards website (pretty sure all specs have it) look at it a bit while writing notes so you know exactly what you need to know (and what you dont need to know, since books exclusively endorsed from specifications often waffle abit)
9. Youtube is your friend in understanding concepts
10. Address anything you find difficult immediately, dont delay it.
I really cant think of anymore :x
Reply 32
Original post by Scarlett2111
Advices on A-level chemistry plssss

Just don't do edexcel. Don't :cry:
Original post by mandyyy6
Revise transition metal colours until you can regurgitate them in your sleep.

That took me 1 hour to learn with a white board and learning one lane at a time.
Original post by Saraa.xx
Just don't do edexcel. Don't :cry:

Aqa. Is it better?
Aqa. Is it better?

AQA Chemistry is easy. Stop worrying and just get on with it.
/thread.
/thread.

You're the only one who said that. And u've not even learnt it yet. How doubtful😰
/thread.

All the exam boards are hard in their own way.

/thread
You're the only one who said that. And u've not even learnt it yet. How doubtful

:catfight:

Quick Reply

Latest