The Student Room Group

Hobnobbing with the working classes

I am currently working in a small shop in a working class area, working with working (no ****) class people. It is quite an experience, as I consider myself middle class in many respects.

From the outset I must say that most of the working class are genuine, friendly, hard working and sincere people. However, there are some glaring disparities between them and us middle class people.

Very few have received further education, let alone higher education. Gaining a grade C at A level in a soft subject is treated as winning a Nobel prize. The few who have received a university education seem to have attended low ranked unis, almost as low as the class and rigour of the subject they got their degree in. Everyone seems to have a tattoo. So much that it's noticeable. There is only so much skin that is tatooable, sadly for some people it seems. Everyone seems to smoke like it's the 1940s and the medical opinion is that smoking is advantageous to ones health. People seem to have multiple kids outside of marriage. If there is a marriage, it is done in a registry office, not a church of course, keeping up the centuries old tradition. Then there is high rates of home ownership. By that I mean the landlord or housing association who actually owns the home that's rented
. There seems to be gambling on the scale of Las Vegas, yet taking the form of punts on a scratch card "scratchie", where any meager winnings are instantly recycled and lost. Then we come to the diet. People seem to be addicted to fast food. Someone needs to tell them that the 5 a day is not a reference to 5 carcinogens a day. I didn't know this but it seems the more artificial flavours and flavours, the better you know. Fresh fruit and vegetables can illicit an allergic reaction. Then there's the obsession with social networks and reality TV...

I could go on and on. It's just been such an eye opener to me, a BBC 2 viewing, non-Poundland frequenting, Russell Group educated lad from the leafy suburbs.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

LMAO, I particularly enjoyed 'BBC 2 watching'.
Reply 2
what a load of nonsense
Nothing wrong with Poundland.
Bloody peasants.
Just the term "Hobnobbing" alone makes me cringe.

I'm working class and what you have written is Daily Fail garnered drivel.

1/10
Chavs are OK, they at least know how to throw a party and steal the odd car. Its working class heroes I cant stand; real heafen monotonic lumpen drones.
Original post by 122025278
I consider myself middle class in many respects.
How does your working status
I am currently working in a small shop in a working class area,.
qualify you as middle class?
Even more telling is how your lack of intelligence qualifies you closer to working rather than middle class
Reply 8
Original post by Lamptastic
Just the term "Hobnobbing" alone makes me cringe.

I'm working class and what you have written is Daily Fail garnered drivel.

1/10

You're going to be a medical student though.

I think he's talking about people who are working class and will remain so. I know the types he's talking about. There were middle class people at my private school who went on to do degrees which weren't prestigious, but they were quite self-aware about it.
Original post by nohomo
You're going to be a medical student though.

I think he's talking about people who are working class and will remain so. I know the types he's talking about. There were middle class people at my private school who went on to do degrees which weren't prestigious, but they were quite self-aware about it.

Yeah I am but I'm still from a working class background with working class parents and the stuff in the OP is quite offensive. I chose to get into medicine because I was able and because I wanted it enough to work hard not because I wanted to become middle class. I don't really look too much into the class system since some working class people WORK hard and achieve and some middle class people sit on their backside all day whilst their spouse works, they think vaccines are scaremongering and that organic fruit and veg cures cancer. :rolleyes:

The only difference to me is money and unfortunately education ...though generalising is still poor form. :wink:
Reply 10
Original post by Lamptastic
Yeah I am but I'm still from a working class background with working class parents and the stuff in the OP is quite offensive. I chose to get into medicine because I was able and because I wanted it enough to work hard not because I wanted to become middle class. I don't really look too much into the class system since some working class people WORK hard and achieve and some middle class people sit on their backside all day whilst their spouse works, they think vaccines are scaremongering and that organic fruit and veg cures cancer. :rolleyes:

The only difference to me is money and unfortunately education ...though generalising is still poor form. :wink:

Completely agreed about certain middle class people who sit on their arses and are utter morons, and certain working class people who achieve!

Good luck with your degree anyway. :smile:
Original post by nohomo
Completely agreed about certain middle class people who sit on their arses and are utter morons, and certain working class people who achieve!

Good luck with your degree anyway. :smile:

Cheers dude :cool:
Reply 12
I am currently working in a small shop in a working class area, working with working (no ****) class people. It is quite an experience, as I consider myself middle class in many respects.

From the outset I must say that most of the working class are genuine, friendly, hard working and sincere people. However, there are some glaring disparities between them and us middle class people.

Very few have received further education, let alone higher education. Gaining a grade C at A level in a soft subject is treated as winning a Nobel prize. The few who have received a university education seem to have attended low ranked unis, almost as low as the class and rigour of the subject they got their degree in. Everyone seems to have a tattoo. So much that it's noticeable. There is only so much skin that is tatooable, sadly for some people it seems. Everyone seems to smoke like it's the 1940s and the medical opinion is that smoking is advantageous to ones health. People seem to have multiple kids outside of marriage. If there is a marriage, it is done in a registry office, not a church of course, keeping up the centuries old tradition. Then there is high rates of home ownership. By that I mean the landlord or housing association who actually owns the home that's rented
. There seems to be gambling on the scale of Las Vegas, yet taking the form of punts on a scratch card "scratchie", where any meager winnings are instantly recycled and lost. Then we come to the diet. People seem to be addicted to fast food. Someone needs to tell them that the 5 a day is not a reference to 5 carcinogens a day. I didn't know this but it seems the more artificial flavours and flavours, the better you know. Fresh fruit and vegetables can illicit an allergic reaction. Then there's the obsession with social networks and reality TV...

I could go on and on. It's just been such an eye opener to me, a BBC 2 viewing, non-Poundland frequenting, Russell Group educated lad from the leafy suburbs.

I don't understand what point you're trying to make? If you're going to be sarcastic and point out obvious differences within class divide than perhaps you should leave and find somewhere else more middle-class (i.e. Dominos)

Otherwise stop acting like Charles Darwin in the Galapagos.
Mate, you work in a shop.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't that make you working class?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mubariz
Mate, you work in a shop.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't that make you working class?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Class is a culture, not an occupation.
Original post by cole-slaw
Class is a culture, not an occupation.

Working Class - "the social group consisting of people who are employed for wages, especially in manual or industrial work."

Working in a shop would fulfil this definition.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not sure what point OP is trying to make, but his observations are reasonably accurate.

I spend about half my time with working class people on a council estate and half with middle class people in a posh english village.

The working class people

swear constantly
watch the telly
drink lager
gamble
watch football
read the sun
eat mainly takeaways
have tattoos and spray tan
talk in thick regional accents
wear clothes with labels
have expensive cars but no gardens

The middle class people
don't swear
listen to the radio/read books
drink red wine or real ale
watch rugby
read the times
eat homecooked food
talk in plummy RP
wear clothes without labels
have cheap cars, but big gardens

These are stereotypes, but theres a lot of truth to them to.
Original post by Mubariz
Working Class - "the social group consisting of people who are employed for wages, especially in manual or industrial work."

A vastly oversimplified definition.

Temporary jobs clearly don't count, else people would be changing their class every 5 minutes.
Original post by cole-slaw
I'm not sure what point OP is trying to make, but his observations are reasonably accurate.

I spend about half my time with working class people on a council estate and half with middle class people in a posh english village.

The working class people

swear constantly
watch the telly
drink lager
gamble
watch football
read the sun
eat mainly takeaways
have tattoos and spray tan
talk in thick regional accents
wear clothes with labels
have expensive cars but no gardens

The middle class people
don't swear
listen to the radio/read books
drink red wine or real ale
watch rugby
read the times
eat homecooked food
talk in plummy RP
wear clothes without labels
have cheap cars, but big gardens

These are stereotypes, but theres a lot of truth to them to.

I'm VERY working class, let me tell you about me.

Swear sometimes yeah. (sometimes quite a lot, also use a fair bit of slang/socialect)
Don't watch TV often, unless it's doctor who or something good.
Don't drink.
Don't gamble.
Hate watching football, do play it though. Read the Guardian and the Economist and scientific papers.
Eat good my mum makes every day, around 5 times a day
No tattoos and no tan.
I don't think I have a Mancunian accent or any regional accent to be honest.
Wear whatever I like, sometimes it's Primark, sometimes it's designer and sometimes it has no label (sometimes hand made stuff :redface:)
Cheapish car, have a garden which my dad and sister like to keep in shape.

Most of my friends are working class and are very similar (admittedly these are not native Brits, most are immigrants, which I think will have an effect.)

Your anecdotal evidence has no value.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mubariz

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do not entirely agree with that statement, partners at Waitrose are most definitely not working-class.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending