The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Official Warwick Economics Q&A Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bgeorgb
can you tell me how many students are accepted on average for PG Diploma in Economics

We have approximately 1200 undergraduates, 200 MSc students and 70 PhD students.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by becks_dada
Hello,

I am currently in yr 12 doing my AS Levels, studying Maths, Further Maths, Economics and History.

I feel like I can get: an A in Maths, A in Further maths, A/B in Economics and B/C in History

I got 7As 4Bs at GCSE

I was wondering with these grades would there be any chance of me getting an offer at Warwick for Bsc Economics

The current offer is A*A(maths)AB/A*A(maths)Aa. Given the high level of competition if you are predicted to miss this level, I would advise not applying.
Original post by EHZ17
Do you need FM to be considered a strong candidate in economics? I am doing FM next year but it will only be to AS, will this suffice or am I very disadvantaged?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Further Maths is treated as any other core A2 subject. The current offer is A*A(maths)AB/A*A(maths)Aa, so the only compulsory A2 subject is maths in which you have to attain an A.
Original post by EHZ17
Also, how heavily are extracurricular activities weighed on an application? Is it usually required to have more than just extensive wider reading?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is important to show in your personal statement that you are an interested and motivated student. There is no explicit weighting but breadth/depth of reading as well as extracurricular activities will strengthen your statement. Please see http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Personal_Statement_Library for tips on writing personal statements.
I'm worried that illness for one module of my exams will affect my overall grade and so make me just miss my offer for Warwick, should I inform Warwick now or later about this?
How many undergrads are accepted onto the Study Abroad Scheme (particularly to Monash University) for the third year? Are many people rejected? Thanks
Original post by University of Warwick
Warwick Undergraduate (UG) Admissions Confirmation for Economics

Thursday 16th August sees the release of A-Level results in England, and, simultaneously, the release of the majority of remaining UG admissions decisions for the Department of Economics for 2012 entry.

If you have successfully met the conditions of your offer, many congratulations, and you will shortly receive information from both the University and the Department regarding the next steps. In the meantime, please visit the Welcome to Warwick website for a flavour of what is to come.

If you have failed to meet the conditions of your offer, please check UCAS Track to see the latest status of your application. In some cases, you will be shown as “successful”, your place in the Warwick Economics Department is secured, and you can follow the above information for successful applicants. In some cases, you will be shown as “unsuccessful”, as we only have a limited number of discretionary places to offer, meaning that we are unable to take even very talented applicants who have only missed their offer by a narrow margin. In some cases, your decision will still be “outstanding”, as we have a record number of offers to process which may take some time to return to UCAS, so please keep checking UCAS Track for updates, or contact the Confirmation Hotline (+44 (0)24 7653 3544) for the latest information.

If your decision is still outstanding because you have not yet submitted requested evidence of your school level exam results or English Language qualifications (e.g. IELTS), then please do so as soon as possible to the UG Admissions office. The longer you wait to send your complete results and requested documentation, the less chance there is of a place being available if you have missed any part of your offer.

If you have missed your offer, with Warwick as your “insurance” offer, please be aware that a decision may take slightly longer than normal, as we can only process your application once your “first choice” university has confirmed to us that they will not be making you an offer.

If you have any questions about your application, please check the What Happens Next website - http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/next/ - or phone the Confirmation Hotline (+44 (0)24 7653 3544) for the most up to date information. If you wish to speak to someone in the Economics Department regarding your application a member of the Economics Admissions Team will be available for you to speak to from 3pm to 5pm each working day between the 16th and 22nd August on +44 (0)24 7615 1120

Please note, the Economics Admissions Team can only provide general information about the admissions process and how decisions are reached, and are not permitted to either make or reverse offer decisions. For the most up to date information about your specific application, it is recommended you contact the Confirmation Hotline in the first instance.

If you are calling either the Confirmation Hotline, or the Economics Admissions Team, to enquire about transferring in to the Department of Economics (if you hold, or have made, an offer for another department in the University), please be aware that we are unable to accept any such transfers in due to the capacity limitations of the department, and the record number of places being made available to students who applied for Economics for 2012 entry

Do you accept people taking A Levels over 3-4 years albeit with higher grades than the average successful applicant?

Any recommended EC's to do for Economics?

How do you consider US tests e.g. SAT(2),ACT,SAT I etc taken from a UK applicant?

How competitive is the Economics programme?

How much emphasis do you place on GCSE's?
Original post by .....p.....
How many undergrads are accepted onto the Study Abroad Scheme (particularly to Monash University) for the third year? Are many people rejected? Thanks

For the number of individuals entering the ERASMUS scheme as well as to particular universities please email [email protected]. Competition is high and it is required that you are at a 2.1 level of higher in order to enter into the program.
Original post by will210296
I'm worried that illness for one module of my exams will affect my overall grade and so make me just miss my offer for Warwick, should I inform Warwick now or later about this?

If you feel for any reason you have under performed in an exam you should contact the central admission office prior to the release of the results.
Original post by fnatic NateDestiel
Do you accept people taking A Levels over 3-4 years albeit with higher grades than the average successful applicant?

Any recommended EC's to do for Economics?

How do you consider US tests e.g. SAT(2),ACT,SAT I etc taken from a UK applicant?

How competitive is the Economics programme?

How much emphasis do you place on GCSE's?

Given the high level of competition, we will only accept individuals who have completed their A-levels in the standard 2 years (unless very particular extenuating circumstances are presented). The central admissions office spends a lot of time making sure the entry requirements for individuals who sit other exams systems (in whichever country, including America) are equivalent to those of our standard A-level requirements. The Warwick Economics programme is extremely competitive, hence the strong entry requirements. Note, we receive negligible numbers of applications from individuals with below A*A(maths)AB/A*A(maths)Aa or equivalent. No explicit weight is placed on the GCSE scores, the application form is viewed in its entirety: predicted actual AS/A2 levels, past academic record, academic reference and personal statement. The personal statement is where you should comment on extra curricula activities. There is no recommendation for EC activities. The only important thing to note is that the applicant should be able to argue the ECs have relevance regards becoming an interested/capable student.
Original post by University of Warwick
Given the high level of competition, we will only accept individuals who have completed their A-levels in the standard 2 years (unless very particular extenuating circumstances are presented). The central admissions office spends a lot of time making sure the entry requirements for individuals who sit other exams systems (in whichever country, including America) are equivalent to those of our standard A-level requirements. The Warwick Economics programme is extremely competitive, hence the strong entry requirements. Note, we receive negligible numbers of applications from individuals with below A*A(maths)AB/A*A(maths)Aa or equivalent. No explicit weight is placed on the GCSE scores, the application form is viewed in its entirety: predicted actual AS/A2 levels, past academic record, academic reference and personal statement. The personal statement is where you should comment on extra curricula activities. There is no recommendation for EC activities. The only important thing to note is that the applicant should be able to argue the ECs have relevance regards becoming an interested/capable student.

Thanks so if a candidate has 6 A stars at A Level but has taken them over 4 years, and has mild extenuating circumstances - such as myself; their application just gets thrown in the bin, am I right? Not being abrupt - I need to know what your policy is and what you consider particular extenuating circumstances to be. Does this particular extenuating circumstance classify personal injury at time of exams, and an Asperger's diagnosis after the second year of a levels and this is an either/or or both question. I know that there is more serious circumstances too. Am I also right in saying that you prefer a candidate with A*AAB in 2 years of study rather than a candidate with A*A*A*A*A*A* in 4 years of study,albeit with soft extenuating circumstances as mentioned above.

I have done both the UK syallabus and part of the US. I have done gcses+a levels and have taken some sat2s and intend to take sat +act + ap exams etc. Do you disregard the US test scores(SAT etc.) of a UK born applicant who has studied in the UK but has done these american exams, even if you would consider my application from the start.

Academic references lmao biased statements from over-inflated estimations of incompetent teachers more like. Never mind.

Sorry I went off on a tangent, but I need to know where you stand on my situation - and whether I would stand a chance at ever being admitted here. And thank you for your first reply. I Apologise if I came off strongly here, this was not my intention and I appreciate the time you took to reply to me.

Also, Hi :smile: if you are Professor Muthoo.

Kind regards..
Original post by fnatic NateDestiel
Thanks so if a candidate has 6 A stars at A Level but has taken them over 4 years, and has mild extenuating circumstances - such as myself; their application just gets thrown in the bin, am I right? Not being abrupt - I need to know what your policy is and what you consider particular extenuating circumstances to be. Does this particular extenuating circumstance classify personal injury at time of exams, and an Asperger's diagnosis after the second year of a levels and this is an either/or or both question. I know that there is more serious circumstances too. Am I also right in saying that you prefer a candidate with A*AAB in 2 years of study rather than a candidate with A*A*A*A*A*A* in 4 years of study,albeit with soft extenuating circumstances as mentioned above.

I have done both the UK syallabus and part of the US. I have done gcses+a levels and have taken some sat2s and intend to take sat +act + ap exams etc. Do you disregard the US test scores(SAT etc.) of a UK born applicant who has studied in the UK but has done these american exams, even if you would consider my application from the start.

Academic references lmao biased statements from over-inflated estimations of incompetent teachers more like. Never mind.

Sorry I went off on a tangent, but I need to know where you stand on my situation - and whether I would stand a chance at ever being admitted here. And thank you for your first reply. I Apologise if I came off strongly here, this was not my intention and I appreciate the time you took to reply to me.

Also, Hi :smile: if you are Professor Muthoo.

Kind regards..

No application will be thrown in the bin. All applications will be read in their entirety. Therefore, your application will definitely be considered. If your grades are above the offer level and you think you will be an interested student, there is no reason you should not apply. However, the vast majority of applicants will have extremely high predicted grades (well above the offer) and will have completed their studies in 2 years. Therefore, there is a need to communicate to us the reasons for why the A-levels were not completed in the standard 2 years. In this explanation (extenuating circumstances) you should include anything that you think inhibited you from performing to your full potential in the exams. All pre-university grades will be taken into account. The comparisons between two applicants will always be carried out on the basis of the entire application: predicted/actual A2/AS results, past results, personal statement and academic references.
Reply 912
Hello,

Are the entry requirements for all you courses for Romanian students a 9.0 or higher grade at the Romanian Baccalureate or is there a difference in entry requirements for Romanians between a course that requires A*AA and one with, say, ABB for the British?

Thanks.
Hello,

I am planning to apply to Warwick for Economics and Industrial Organisation (L112) programme. My school approaches Alevels in different way where we sit 2 full Alevel subjects in the first year and another full Alevel subject in the second year along with an optional fourth subject. In my first year I studied Physics and Pure Mathematics and got a B and an A respectively at A2. This coming academic year I will be doing Economics and Business along with Further AS Mathematics.

My question is... considering that Math, Physics and Economics all show breadth of knowledge and skills is it still less preferable to take Business?
The reason I'm asking is because my school doesn't offer a variety of Alevel subjects... so if I have to do anything other than business I will have to study the entire GCSE portions of a new subject in less than a month and then proceed to the respective Alevel.
Reply 914
Hi,
I recently received my AS level results; they were 4 A's being 100% in Biology, 97% in Economics, 89% in Law and 86% in Maths.
I am currently unsure whether to drop a subject and it's between Biology or Law; I was just wondering are you more likely to give a student an offer who is predicted A*AAB or A*AA with an A at AS level, is there any difference? I'm aware that is not just the predicted grades that form a part of an offer but if you had to say which option would set me in best stead, which would it be?
Thanks for any help!
I've received my A2 results, with them being AABc in Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics. I am considering doing A2 Further Maths in my gap year which I am undertaking. I understand your offer for Economics is usually A*AAB or A*AAa. I have a few questions I'd like answering;

1. How highly do you regard predicted grades? I see people with 4 A*s predicted but they very rarely achieve it. Predicted grades are generally over the top and with me applying with A Levels that perfectly meet the offer (if I achieve an A* in Further Mathematics), what position does that put me in?

2. Will the C in Physics get me a rejection? It was a subject that I wasn't comfortable in taking and by taking full Further Maths, I would have 4 A2 subjects.

3. Regarding offers, I've seen people get conditional offers with an additional conditional of achieving AA in C3 and C4 in Maths. I personally achieved 95/100 UMS in C3 (A) and 77/100 UMS in C4 (B). Would I be rejected for this despite achieving an A overall?
Reply 916
Hello, I am probably going to apply for economics at Warwick but the offer is A*AAa, but what does the lower case 'a' indicate? Does it mean that you can only receive an offer if you got 4As at AS level?
Cheers
Reply 917
Original post by dstunr
Hello, I am probably going to apply for economics at Warwick but the offer is A*AAa, but what does the lower case 'a' indicate? Does it mean that you can only receive an offer if you got 4As at AS level?
Cheers

Yeah it means an A in the AS that you've dropped, if you didn't get an A at AS you have to show intent to resit a module or two to get it up to an A!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello,

First of all, thanks, this thread’s been a great help!

In Oct/Nov i’ll be completing 3 A levels and one AS level, predicted A*A*Aa. I will, however, be self teaching myself the extra AS level to A level and appearing for it in 2015 May/June.
So, I just wanted to know that since my overall profile will be of 4 A levels will that be my offer, or will it be in terms of three A levels and one AS level?

I’ll get my results in January, and if the offer is of four A levels, do I have to wait till my May/June2015 results to be able to accept it?
Original post by razbel
Hello,

Are the entry requirements for all you courses for Romanian students a 9.0 or higher grade at the Romanian Baccalureate or is there a difference in entry requirements for Romanians between a course that requires A*AA and one with, say, ABB for the British?

Thanks.

Warwick Economics department certainly recognises the Romanian Baccalaureate and consider it to be equal to UK A Levels for Admissions purposes. For our Economics course, the standard offer for the Romanian Baccalaureate is currently ‘9.5 overall including 3 state exams, including 9.5 in Maths state exam’. I cannot speak on behalf of other departments/universities but I assume lower A-level offers will be reflected in lower RB offers.

Quick Reply

Latest