The Student Room Group

Who is the greatest sportsman ever?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Manchester United
I completely disagree.

Don't bother replying if you're going to debate it. I don't want this thread to turn into Ronaldo vs Messi/Maradona/Eusebio. We have enough of that in the Spanish Football thread.

Hold on I'm not trying to argue but are you really saying that Ronaldo's appearance has no relevance to his popularity? He has far more (30 mil) Facebook followers but one less European cup, and half as many Ballon D'ors

I think he is a great footballer but his fans come in four (sometimes overlapping) groups:

1) Gay and metrosexual men. The sort that openly profess their love for Justin Bieber.
2) Manchester United and Real Madrid fans (self-explanatory)
3) Muslims who are grateful for his support for Palestine
4) Women who don't hold a genuine interest in football
Original post by TheAnusFiles
Hold on I'm not trying to argue but are you really saying that Ronaldo's appearance has no relevance to his popularity? He has far more (30 mil) Facebook followers but one less European cup, and half as many Ballon D'ors

I think he is a great footballer but his fans come in four (sometimes overlapping) groups:

1) Gay and metrosexual men. The sort that openly profess their love for Justin Bieber.

No, I admit his appearance is significant to his popularity. However, his goal scoring records have nothing to do with his appearance. Even if he looked like Luke Chadwick, he still scored 17 goals in one Champions League campaign (with injuries).
No, I admit his appearance is significant to his popularity. However, his goal scoring records have nothing to do with his appearance. Even if he looked like Luke Chadwick, he still scored 17 goals in one Champions League campaign (with injuries).

Since joining La Liga he has only once outscored Messi in the League. Great player but Messi is the better of the two. Doesn't explain why you put him as the greatest sportsman of all time.

He has twice been in the champions league final. The first time he played terribly and was bailed out by john terry. The second time he played terribly and was bailed out by Sergio Ramos.

Ladies and gents I give you the greatest sportsman of all time :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LightBlueSoldier
He has twice been in the champions league final. The first time he played terribly and was bailed out by john terry. The second time he played terribly and was bailed out by Sergio Ramos.

Ladies and gents I give you the greatest sportsman of all time :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You missed the third final where he did nothing at all (2009)! He played very well in '08 though.
Since joining La Liga he has only once outscored Messi in the League. Great player but Messi is the better of the two. Doesn't explain why you put him as the greatest sportsman of all time.

Why are you making it a Ronaldo vs Messi when I strictly said I didn't want to debate the two? And of course, LightBlueSoldier arrives as soon as he sees Ronaldo and Messi mentioned in the same sentence.

I will not be reading anymore replies in this thread as I really don't want it to turn into Ronaldo vs Messi.
Why are you making it a Ronaldo vs Messi when I strictly said I didn't want to debate the two? And of course, LightBlueSoldier arrives as soon as he sees Ronaldo and Messi mentioned in the same sentence.

I will not be reading anymore replies in this thread as I really don't want it to turn into Ronaldo vs Messi.

Bleh, who gives a **** about messi. This is a greatest sportsman of all time debate and you just brought up Ronaldo :biggrin:

EDIT: I just realised that not only did you bring him up but you also put him number one :lol: you couldn't make it up

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Kenan and Kel
You missed the third final where he did nothing at all (2009)! He played very well in '08 though.

Oh I forgot he was in that one

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ronaldo has a more interesting persona

Messi is the typical fake-humble guy, he knows acting like the down-to-earth everyman, despite being good, looks good on him, even though underneath he is probably very arrogant; certainly they have been reports of him bullying and insulting other players. Ronaldo is openly arrogant and narcisstic, but it's totally natural; he's almost childlike in his lack of shame or social filtering
(edited 9 years ago)
Gaius Appuleius Diocles if we're going on money (apparently, different methods of calculating his wealth in modern money give vastly different figures). He won about 34% of his races, as opposed to Schumacher's 29.5%
Nigel Mansell?
Ali no doubt.

Which utter plebs went for Cristiano Ronaldo?

People that like his body?
Reply 112
Original post by manchesterunited15
There's more footballers than anything else because football is the most popular sport so its harder to be the best.

How can you not include Messi? Plenty of people already consider him the best footballer ever.

I wouldn't vote for Nadal but I understand the logic. 5 years younger than Federer, only 3 less grand slams. By Federers age Nadal will probably have caught up.

Nadal is like 27-7 against his rivals on the biggest stage. A decade owning Federer, definitely seems reasonable to include him in the list.
So...? Do you think he would if he looked like Scholes? Ronaldo is a marketing brand, not a sports legend

He'd have more if he looked like Scholes
Reply 114
Original post by KrazyKoala
Well yeah Floyd in there is a bit weird, considering most would go for Ali.

My point about the footballer one, is those who vote greatest of all time will usually compare sports. They will not look at the same sport, they will pick the best of that sport and compare. While guys like Ronaldo and Messi are indeed great, if you asked the majority who is the greatest footballer out of the four, I'm pretty sure Maradona and Pele would win. In fact pretty sure Pele would win, given his status in football, not even guys like Messi or Ronaldo command that. One thing as well Messi nor Ronaldo has won a world cup, which counts against them a bit in most people's eyes compared to Pele and Maradona.

Jordan instead of Lebron would be a given, but most people don't follow Basketball here. If it was an american forum, there would probably be an uproar of him being left out. Same with Bo Jackson. Babe Ruth again, but the thing about Baseball is that it isn't popular around the world, most countries don't play it. Bo Jackson's got the two sports thing going for him.

It's more setting up the poll to which people are inclined to pick. I do understand perhaps your reasons for including four footballers, but most aren't going to see it that way as I've explained earlier.

Reading my previous posts, perhaps I'm coming off a bit nasty/complaining too much and if so I apologise. It's an interesting thread. I don't wish to offend. Just stating my opinion about the poll options.

Messi has a great chance to enhance his legendary legacy in the world cup final.
Reply 115
Original post by Roger1
Nadal isn't even in top 5. He can only dominate one slam and on one surface. He hasn't even got enough weeks at number 1 to be in the consideration of GOAT. And please don't say that this era is competitive. Last year Nadal came from a 8 month injury and won pretty much everything.. That is something which would never happen in a competitive era.

Competition was tougher now than 2003-07
Reply 116
Wayne Rooney :frown:
Reply 117
1) Ronaldo
2) Ali
3) Federer
4) Messi
5) Schumacher

Ronaldo almost has 91m Facebook fans :redface:

Very Shallow way of thinking. I have more fans so am the greatest, no? :rolleyes:
Reply 118
Original post by ZSHNZ
Floyd Mayweather Jr or Lionel Messi.
For what they've achieved and also how they've changed their respective sports in different ways.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Floyd has failed to give the fans what they want and that's Mayweather vs Pacman. He cannot be ranked above King Messi.
Reply 119

Ronaldo's peak 69 Goals against Messi's Peak 91 Goals.

Quick Reply

Latest