The Student Room Group

Revelant Work Experience in Computer Science

Hi,

I've just broken up for the Summer after finishing my first year of A Levels (AS), I'm going to do Computer Science (with a Year in Industry) at university with entry requirements at the unis I'm looking for between AAA - ABB/C. I'm wondering for ways to stand out/to put on my Personal Statement. Mostly does anyone know where to look for work experience? Are there any books I should read on Computing?

I have looked at Computer Science lectures but most of them are fully booked, I am looking to be learning the basics of Java and C++ this summer and learning to program the Raspberry Pi but I fear this may not be enough.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by TheShingster
Hi,

I've just broken up for the Summer after finishing my first year of A Levels (AS), I'm going to do Computer Science (with a Year in Industry) at university with entry requirements at the unis I'm looking for between AAA - ABB/C. I'm wondering for ways to stand out/to put on my Personal Statement. Mostly does anyone know where to look for work experience? Are there any books I should read on Computing?

I have looked at Computer Science lectures but most of them are fully booked, I am looking to be learning the basics of Java and C++ this summer and learning to program the Raspberry Pi but I fear this may not be enough.

Thanks!

Unless you are very well connected and a very able programmer, work experience won't help you at this stage. Universities don't care about it - it's not like medicine.

For books check out the Cambridge reading list, and if it's not on there, The New Turing Omnibus (I think you can buy it fairly reasonably on eBay.) It's a very nice, general book and you can pick and choose chapters that appeal to you without having to be sequential about it.

Everything you said in your second paragraph is enough, as long as you have the grades (especially the maths grades) and predictions to back it up. Chuck in a few extracurriculars (though they're not a dealbreaker like they are with other subjects) and come up with a convincing, non cliché wording for exactly why you want to study CS and you'll have no problem. PM me if you want any more info on any of that.
Reply 2
Hi,

Thanks!

You will find that very little prior knowledge is assumed when you start. Your first year will aim to get everyone upto the same level, starting from the basics. Having a knowledge of basic java/c++ will be an advantage but not essential.

Personal projects will be worth as much as work experience at this level.i didn't have any experience in a software house until after my 2nd year but did a lot of work on my own projects.
Reply 3
Awesome, thanks for the advice.

I think I'm going to focus on reading books and creating my own projects, I have already started reading books on coding in Java and C++.

Are there any projects you would suggest I complete during the summer then, I have about 1 year's experience in using Visual Basic as part of my AS course.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Awesome, thanks for the advice.

I think I'm going to focus on reading books and creating my own projects, I have already started reading books on coding in Java and C++.

Are there any projects you would suggest I complete during the summer then, I have about 1 year's experience in using Visual Basic as part of my AS course.

What books are you reading about C++, I am doing a gap year and decided to learn both of Java and C++ so it would be helpful if you let me know which ones your chose.
Reply 5
Original post by Teucer
What books are you reading about C++, I am doing a gap year and decided to learn both of Java and C++ so it would be helpful if you let me know which ones your chose.

Currently I'm reading Beginning Programming with Java for Dummies, I'm into the first two chapters - it teaches you programming completely from scratch so even if you do already know a programming language like me, it will help you a lot!

I will then read Java For Dummies as that's for more advanced programming once I get used to Java.

For C++, Sams teaches C++ in 24 Hours is what I'm planning on reading, please let me know any other books - not just on programming languages but Computer Science in general - I should read.

Thanks, hope this helps!
(edited 9 years ago)
Currently I'm reading Beginning Programming with Java for Dummies, I'm into the first two chapters - it teaches you programming completely from scratch so even if you do already know a programming language like me, it will help you a lot!

I will then read Java For Dummies as that's for more advanced programming once I get used to Java.

For C++, Sams teaches C++ in 24 Hours is what I'm planning on reading, please let me know any other books - not just on programming languages but Computer Science in general - I should read.

Thanks, hope this helps!

Hi guys,
Why not have a look here, it's a free online Java programming course, you could probably complete it over the summer. I am halfway through it myself.
https://www.udemy.com/java-tutorial/

check here for other programming languages
https://www.udemy.com/courses/Development/Programming-Languages

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending