The Student Room Group

Who is the greatest sportsman ever?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by ubi1
Competition was tougher now than 2003-07

Federer is old, Murray is crap so who is left for Nadal these days. A mentally weak Novak Djokovic. Hopefully now that Nole has finally won a slam he won't choke against Nadal in slams like he did last season and this years french open.

And the competition is getting weaker these days although the last 4-5 years were tougher than 2003-07 even though Nadal was also winning slams during that period.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by yo radical one
Ronaldo has a more interesting persona

Messi is the typical fake-humble guy, he knows acting like the down-to-earth everyman, despite being good, looks good on him, even though underneath he is probably very arrogant; certainly they have been reports of him bullying and insulting other players. Ronaldo is openly arrogant and narcisstic, but it's totally natural; he's almost childlike in his lack of shame or social filtering

I don't think Messi acts humble. He just isn't interested in the media or being a national darling. He plays his sport and that's it. He is all about football. If anything he has a quiet air of superiority. But it's honest.

Ronaldo on the other hand, with his ever-mentioned support for Palestine, and ridiculous stories about him:

"ronaldo ones climed up everist 2 save a child who woz lost"

"arrogant theey sed, donated 2 billion litres of blud a year they never sed #repsect"

- is the fake one. Messi also has donated huge amounts to charity, but it has been relatively low-key such as half a million to a hospital here and a new dorm for an old football club there. The only difference is that Ronaldo has a propaganda machine behind him.

Messi is the greatest footballer of the 21st Century and a sporting legend. Ronaldo is the biggest sporting celeb in the world.
Original post by ubi1
Nadal is like 27-7 against his rivals on the biggest stage. A decade owning Federer, definitely seems reasonable to include him in the list.

25-7.

9-2 vs Fed, 9-3 vs Djok, 7-2 vs Murray

That's an incredible record, there's a very strong argument for him over Federer. About 7 of his wins vs Fed were at the French lol
Original post by manchesterunited15
25-7.

That's an incredible record, there's a very strong argument for him over Federer. About 7 of his wins vs Fed were at the French lol

I prefer federer because he plays such beautiful tennis, and it think he does have nadal at the moment but it will be very close soon enough I think. Nadal needs to win more off of clay to convince me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 124
Original post by Roger1
Federer is old, Murray is crap so who is left for Nadal these days. A mentally weak Novak Djokovic. Hopefully now that Nole has finally won a slam he won't choke against Nadal in slams like he did last season and this years french open.

Fed won 2 slams against Nadal and 1 against Djokovic. Nadal won 6 slams against Fed and 4 against Djokovic. Nadal obviously had it tougher. Am not saying Nadal is greater than Federer, but It's obvious who had it tougher:rolleyes: Novak got Crushed in the final set 6-1 Nadal returned the favor from 2011.
Reply 125
25-7.

3 at Australia which your under looking and you forgot the greatest tennis matcher 2008 Wimbledon Final which Nadal won.:wink:
Original post by ubi1
3 at Australia which your under looking and you forgot the greatest tennis matcher 2008 Wimbledon Final which Nadal won.:wink:

I'm a Nadal fan tbh :tongue: I would rate Fed just above him though (for now)
Reply 127
Original post by LightBlueSoldier
I prefer federer because he plays such beautiful tennis, and it think he does have nadal at the moment but it will be very close soon enough I think. Nadal needs to win more off of clay to convince me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

2 Months left for US Open, I won't be surprised if he won that.
Reply 128
Original post by ubi1
Fed won 2 slams against Nadal and 1 against Djokovic. Nadal won 6 slams against Fed and 4 against Djokovic. Nadal obviously had it tougher. Am not saying Nadal is greater than Federer, but It's obvious who had it tougher:rolleyes: Novak got Crushed in the final set 6-1 Nadal returned the favor from 2011.

But Federer is an easy matchup for him so he shouldn't be included. That only leaves Djokovic who can sometimes be mentally weak so....

Anyway I couldn't care less about this GOAT debate.
Reply 129
I'm a Nadal fan tbh :tongue: I would rate Fed just above him though (for now)

Same but only Just above Nadal.:redface:
One thing we can say for sure: tennis is lucky that it has several great players and rivalries. Golf suffers when woods (my greatest sportsman) isn't playing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lionel Messi.
The greatest player ever in the greatest sport ever.
To be the best in the world for such a long time in the sport that everyone wants to play is absolutely incredible. What Federer has done for so long is also incredible but how many little kids want to be a pro tennis player when they are older? Football is the most competitive sport in the world so to be the best for so long is, for me, above anything else.
Reply 132
Original post by Roger1
But Federer is an easy matchup for him so he shouldn't be included. That only leaves Djokovic who can sometimes be mentally weak so....

Anyway I couldn't care less about this GOAT debate.

Well Nadal made it a easy Match up for him:redface: And Nadal was the one who made Djokovic look like a Mental Giant in 2011 and Now Nadal made Djokovic Mentally weak player.:tongue:
Original post by ubi1
2 Months left for US Open, I won't be surprised if he won that.

I would. I don't think people realise how debilitating the knee injuries he's had are. I could see nadal winning a few more french opens but I would be surprised if he won any more off of clay. He's surprised me in the past though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The fact that Phelps has more than Messi, Bolt and Woods put together is pathetic
The fact that Phelps has more than Messi, Bolt and Woods put together is pathetic

People like gold medals. No surprises there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 136
I would. I don't think people realise how debilitating the knee injuries he's had are. I could see nadal winning a few more french opens but I would be surprised if he won any more off of clay. He's surprised me in the past though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well Nadal held his own Against The hard court Monster Novak Djokovic Rememer his match Against Him in Australia he choked it away while leading 4-2 in the Final set. And he is also 2-1 Against him at US Open and Crushed him 6-1 in the Final set last year. This is a dirt baller were talking about:rolleyes:
People like gold medals. No surprises there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I put him in because I knew people would vote for him for that reason. But he's not even close tbh
How many do you reckon Nadal would have won if he didn't have his injury?
Reply 139
Original post by Alex Doran
Lionel Messi.
The greatest player ever in the greatest sport ever.
To be the best in the world for such a long time in the sport that everyone wants to play is absolutely incredible. What Federer has done for so long is also incredible but how many little kids want to be a pro tennis player when they are older? Football is the most competitive sport in the world so to be the best for so long is, for me, above anything else.

If Messi wins World Cup he seals the deal for me.

Quick Reply

Latest