The Student Room Group

A level options, which one should I drop?

I've got the potential subjects I'd like to do down to 5, but I'm only going to do 4. So far, I've decided Psychology, Biology, Philosophy, Politics and Photography. I definitely want to do psychology, and seeing as I don't really know what I want to do afterwards (at uni) I'm kind of thinking maybe I'd like to do psychology so I thought biology would be good for that too - plus I really like biology.(But I'm a pretty indecisive person so I'm still keeping my options open). And then the other 3, I really like them all, but I'm not really sure which one I shouldn't do. Photography has been the most controversial one with my friends etc because some people think it's a waste of time but others think that it's good to have a lighter, more creative subject in there, but then I do really like it. Any ideas/advice would be muchhhhhh appreciated!
Photography, it stands out and doesnt link to your other subjects in any way. Also a friend of mine did it and they said it was a complete waste of time

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
you could always do photography in your own time?
Reply 3
Photography is completely coursework based in the AS year from what I know. My friend stopped attending lessons from about April because there was nothing left to do. I think you should keep Photography as a hobby, since it doesn't even go with your other subjects.
Reply 4
Original post by Petulia
Photography is completely coursework based in the AS year from what I know. My friend stopped attending lessons from about April because there was nothing left to do. I think you should keep Photography as a hobby, since it doesn't even go with your other subjects.

Thank you thank you
Reply 5
Original post by veem7
you could always do photography in your own time?

true, but i guess its slightly different because you get a qualification and stuff (and then can do it to a higher level). but still, that is true but i just wasnt sure because although it's quite different to the other subjects it wides my options a bit :smile:))
You really like subjects beginning with P!

But in all seriousness, as everyone else has said, I'd leave out photography - whilst I'm a massive fan of photography in my free time, you don't have to do a whole syllabus at school just to become a professional; there's tons of tutorials and forums online, and I'd say that universities don't regard it as highly as some of your other subjects
Reply 7
Original post by All-rounder
Photography, it stands out and doesnt link to your other subjects in any way. Also a friend of mine did it and they said it was a complete waste of time

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

that's true, but i don't really know what i want to do after college so it gives me a bit more choice. but that's pretty useful, thank you :smile:)
Reply 8
Original post by p.formanko
You really like subjects beginning with P!

But in all seriousness, as everyone else has said, I'd leave out photography - whilst I'm a massive fan of photography in my free time, you don't have to do a whole syllabus at school just to become a professional; there's tons of tutorials and forums online, and I'd say that universities don't regard it as highly as some of your other subjects

hahah, i know.. not sure why that is hehe. but thats true, thank you :smile:)
Reply 9
Original post by ekhhh
true, but i guess its slightly different because you get a qualification and stuff (and then can do it to a higher level). but still, that is true but i just wasnt sure because although it's quite different to the other subjects it wides my options a bit :smile:))

i know the feeling, i did five in the end because i really wanted to do art! i did chemistry, biology, maths, and physics as well. i found that it was manageable but i regret not revising/doing more coursework early enough

in the end it's up to you, you have to like the decision you make and the subjects you're doing or else you won't feel motivated to work for them :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by veem7
i know the feeling, i did five in the end because i really wanted to do art! i did chemistry, biology, maths, and physics as well. i found that it was manageable but i regret not revising/doing more coursework early enough

in the end it's up to you, you have to like the decision you make and the subjects you're doing or else you won't feel motivated to work for them :smile:

aw wow they're pretty good options, i love science but i'm not particularly hard working/motivated and i know they're hard so i'd probably fail lol. which science did you find the hardest if you dont mind me asking? but thank you, thats very true :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by ekhhh
aw wow they're pretty good options, i love science but i'm not particularly hard working/motivated and i know they're hard so i'd probably fail lol. which science did you find the hardest if you dont mind me asking? but thank you, thats very true :smile:

well physics was my least favourite so ofcourse i let that slip a bit - like if i didn't understand anything i'd just moan about how much i can't wait to drop physics instead of actually asking for help or going over and reading it myself until like a 2/3 months before the exams xD :colondollar:
with biology i think it depends on the exam board as well - it was my favourite science but with AQA i swear if you didn't mention a few little words you'd lose like 4000 marks. eventually you'd get the hang of it though :smile:

you gotta believe in yourself!
Reply 12
Original post by veem7
well physics was my least favourite so ofcourse i let that slip a bit - like if i didn't understand anything i'd just moan about how much i can't wait to drop physics instead of actually asking for help or going over and reading it myself until like a 2/3 months before the exams xD :colondollar:
with biology i think it depends on the exam board as well - it was my favourite science but with AQA i swear if you didn't mention a few little words you'd lose like 4000 marks. eventually you'd get the hang of it though :smile:

you gotta believe in yourself!

haha thats exactly what i expect i would do hence why i'm not going to take it. but thats useful to know, i've heard that answering the questions are pretty hard because of little things like that. hehe, thank you - i'll try :smile:
I think photography would be a good one to choose really,

I'm in the same situation where it doesn't go with any of my other subjects at all but I thought it's better to have one more creative option so I get to do something different and a little less stressful if other courses are particularly difficult,

it's also coursework and exam so it's not really so full on like 100% exam based courses,

its also good to keep your options open if you're undecided on what on you should do next :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest