The Student Room Group

Who is the greatest sportsman ever?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pete_91
Statistically Donald Bradman.

In terms of pure domination, Michael Phelps.

Bolt dominates just as much

Swimming just has way too many races
Original post by ubi1
Floyd has failed to give the fans what they want and that's Mayweather vs Pacman. He cannot be ranked above King Messi.

That wasn't Floyd's fault, it was Pacman's. If he was his own boss, the fight would have happened.
Reply 182
Original post by ZSHNZ
That wasn't Floyd's fault, it was Pacman's. If he was his own boss, the fight would have happened.

Why doesn't floyd propose fighting Manny again. Manny am ready to fight you, no?
Reply 183
Original post by LightBlueSoldier
3rd for me behind woods and bolt. But then I was only 9 in 1998 so maybe I never got his full measure.

The big thing that the footballers have going for them is that it is by far the most popular and competitive sport in the world. It's much more difficult to reach the top.

Well, basketball clearly confers a big advantage to tall players. In basketball, there is actually a top 10 list that many people would agree on. Jordan (along with Kobe) is the shortest on that list, and Kobe will arguably get pushed out of that list by LeBron in a few years. So I'd argue that Jordan dominating a league that was historically dominated by taller players is even more impressive.

Problem with football is that no one in history stands alone at the top. Maybe Messi will in a few years, but right now it's Maradona and Pele, which makes it hard to choose one of them as the greatest sportsman ever. Plus they never had the impact like Ali did.
Phil Taylor?

16 World Titles in 24 years and 64 other major titles.

It's hard to pit single sports against team sports.
Original post by ubi1
Why doesn't floyd propose fighting Manny again. Manny am ready to fight you, no?

I'm predicting if everything goes to plan, since Floyd has just announced he is to fight Maidana again - So, September 13th 2014 vs. Maidana, May 2nd 2015 vs. Khan, September 12th 2015 vs. Pacquiao?
Reply 186
Original post by ZSHNZ
I'm predicting if everything goes to plan, since Floyd has just announced he is to fight Maidana again - So, September 13th 2014 vs. Maidana, May 2nd 2015 vs. Khan, September 12th 2015 vs. Pacquiao?

I hope so in that Order would be great. But it won't happen Am worried he won't fight khan or Pac.
Original post by TheCasual MK2
Phil Taylor?

16 World Titles in 24 years and 64 other major titles.

It's hard to pit single sports against team sports.

Darts is not a sport.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Darts is not a sport.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How can darts not be a sport? :rolleyes:

Darts IS a sport.
Original post by spotify95
How can darts not be a sport? :rolleyes:

Darts IS a sport.

It's a game. It doesn't require athleticism so it's a game.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's a game. It doesn't require athleticism so it's a game.

Posted from TSR Mobile

See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darts

You're right in that is can be played as a game. However it is also " being a professional competitive sport"

Thus it is also a sport

QED
Heeskeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyy
Original post by ubi1
I hope so in that Order would be great. But it won't happen Am worried he won't fight khan or Pac.

Khan is probably 75% likely as Floyd visited the UK last month and went to a number of different cities, including Khan's hometown. The pacquiao fight though, isn't as likely as not much has been said by either camp so I'd say there's about a 15% chance of that happening.
See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darts

You're right in that is can be played as a game. However it is also " being a professional competitive sport"

Thus it is also a sport

QED

It's not a sport. The best player in the world is a fat old alcoholic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's not a sport. The best player in the world is a fat old alcoholic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

to be honest with you, it does not matter about the appearance of the players. I've just proved to you that it is a sport, regardless of the appearance of the players.
Original post by ubi1
If Messi wins World Cup he seals the deal for me.

Winning the world cup is about a team and not an individual. For me, Messi has already done enough to be the best ever and no lack of team achievements will change that.
If Argentina do win the world cup then that will further boost Messi's claim as it will be massively because of him and certainly would not have happened without him.
I don't agree that players need to win team trophies to be said to be the best in world because incredible players can be held back by poor teams. None of George Weah, George Best or Di Stefano ever even qualified for a world cup but are all described as up there with the greatest ever.
Original post by Alex Doran
Winning the world cup is about a team and not an individual. For me, Messi has already done enough to be the best ever and no lack of team achievements will change that.
If Argentina do win the world cup then that will further boost Messi's claim as it will be massively because of him and certainly would not have happened without him.
I don't agree that players need to win team trophies to be said to be the best in world because incredible players can be held back by poor teams. None of George Weah, George Best or Di Stefano ever even qualified for a world cup but are all described as up there with the greatest ever.

That's exactly right - football is a team sport, and not an individual sport. :smile:

There may be better players than others, but the whole of the team does contribute towards the final result. :smile:

And besides, football would be a very different sport if it was an individual sport instead of a team sport.
Obvs Lance Armstrong.......:colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile
to be honest with you, it does not matter about the appearance of the players. I've just proved to you that it is a sport, regardless of the appearance of the players.

Wikipedia may say it is a sport, but I disagree. I may even go and change the Wikipedia page so then I have proof :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Muhammed Ali because his influence went beyond his sport.

Quick Reply

Latest