The Student Room Group

Will my A-Level Choice Hinder me?

post removed
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's ultimately your choice. Effectively, a low grade can ruin the look of an application.
Biology, chemistry and psychology are perfectly fine at A2.
Psychology is fine, don't take anything else on, it wont help your application. Honestly as long as you get three As it doesn't matter.
Reply 4
It's fine. Honest.
Original post by Jatyization
Any other opinions?

I don't know why the others are saying it's fine without context.

It's only fine if you want to limit your med school choices. Although most medical schools strictly require only a minimum of 2 science subjects at AS/A level, generally 3 are preferred.

If you do not like Physics, you could do Maths - but if you want neither, then just be aware that you will have restricted choice and will have to choose which medical school to apply to carefully.
So i am wondering whether my A-Level choice is going to reduce my chances of getting into medical school. My A-Level combination is: Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and physics. However i found AS physics a real challenge :angry: and i am seriously contemplating whether to drop it at A2 because i doubt i will be able to get the required A grade in A2. So i will be left with Biology, Chemistry and Psychology; Will this A-Level choice reduce my chances of getting into medical school providing i get the required grades?

If this does hinder me in applying to medical school i was considering picking up a Cambridge pre-u during A2 and completing it within one year, This is more practical than another A-Level as some pre-u subjects only have 3 units and put more emphasis on self study. But this is a route i really don't want to go down! :frown:

Both of your sciences are acceptable for Medicine so Physics isn't necessary. You'll be fine. Just get high grades in those subjects. The only thing I could think of that may hinder your chances is the lack of maths BUT, that depends on the university. I know Cambridge and Oxford prefer 3 of the sciences or 2 and maths. However, I'm sure you'll be fine.
Reply 7
Original post by well in the dark

It's only fine if you want to limit your med school choices. Although most medical schools strictly require only a minimum of 2 science subjects at AS/A level, generally 3 are preferred.

If you do not like Physics, you could do Maths - but if you want neither, then just be aware that you will have restricted choice and will have to choose which medical school to apply to carefully.

This is simply not true. Only Cambridge prefers three sciences - the others ask for two sciences and you are at no disadvantage to those with three.

Because, unlike you, we actually know what we're talking about :rolleyes:

This is false. One med school, Cambridge, states such a preference.

Doing Bio, chem and psych is fine.

Original post by JayJay-C19
... Oxford prefer 3 of the sciences or 2 and maths. However, I'm sure you'll be fine.

No. They. Don't.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Both of your sciences are acceptable for Medicine so Physics isn't necessary. You'll be fine. Just get high grades in those subjects. The only thing I could think of that may hinder your chances is the lack of maths BUT, that depends on the university. I know Cambridge and Oxford prefer 3 of the sciences or 2 and maths. However, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Nowhere requires, or even prefers, Maths.

As other(s) have said, Cambridge prefers you to have three of Bio, Chem, Physics and Maths. Nowhere else.
Reply 11
I did Biology, Chemistry and Psychology at A Level and I was fine, just to emphasise what everyone else has already said. Don't worry about it.
Original post by Ronove
Nowhere requires, or even prefers, Maths.

As other(s) have said, Cambridge prefers you to have three of Bio, Chem, Physics and Maths. Nowhere else.

Well that's rubbish because I have loads of prospectuses for russell groups that say they prefer maths and two sciences but okay :s.
Well that's rubbish because I have loads of prospectuses for russell groups that say they prefer maths and two sciences but okay :s.

Care to show us any web links to back yourself up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So you recommed just sticking to the 3 A-Levels i have got?

Yep.
Original post by Helenia
Care to show us any web links to back yourself up?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They're in paperback prospectuses, look yourself. I'm not wasting my time going through loads of uni sites to satisfy you, believe what you want to believe.

They prefer 2 sciences, maths or 3 and maths.
They're in paperback prospectuses, look yourself. I'm not wasting my time going through loads of uni sites to satisfy you, believe what you want to believe.

They prefer 2 sciences, maths or 3 and maths.

All university's prospectuses are online these days. Name one university that says that and i'll bring up the prospectus, and you can prove us all wrong. Surely you can't refuse that offer?

UCL actually say that they prefer a contrasting subject. AFAIK, it's only Cambridge that prefer sciences.
Original post by usycool1
UCL actually say that they prefer a contrasting subject. AFAIK, it's only Cambridge that prefer sciences.

What are you not reading? I SAID 3 OR 2 and Maths.
Reply 19
What are you not reading? I SAID 3 OR 2 and Maths.

Maths is counted as a science in that sense. He/she means exactly what he/she said - that UCL prefer a contrasting subject. Maths is certainly not considered to be contrasting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending