The Student Room Group

I work in the City, ask me nothing

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ggmu!
Interesting stuff.

Would you like to move to a trading floor, hunt for clients etc? I've got some contact in this field (not of my doing) and it's pretty hit and miss.

We might have to do some talking in the near future.

Original post by Roger1
Do you reckon you are strong?
Can you fight?

Nope and nope. Not much of a fighter, I would like to think I'm rather civilized.
Reply 141
Original post by Abdul-Karim
We might have to do some talking in the near future.

Nope and nope. Not much of a fighter, I would like to think I'm rather civilized.

Haha maybe, hope you're not expecting any networking lool

I like your response to Rog's question. Probs your first post on TSR I really like lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ggmu!
Haha maybe, hope you're not expecting any networking lool

I like your response to Rog's question. Probs your first post on TSR I really like lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Provided you could be of beneficial assistance, I'm all for networking.

I'm not going to put on a front.
Not in a real life gang.. well technically a real gang but I'm not a direct affiliate

No. I went to the gym once though..

Spoiler

Huh...
Original post by yl95
Huh...

D blocc, 6hunnit is what I claim. That's bro & dem. #3drose #OTF

[video="youtube;AhY0i99Y28Q"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhY0i99Y28Q[/video]
Reply 145
Provided you could be of beneficial assistance, I'm all for networking.

I'm not going to put on a front.

Lol I'm 100% anonymous bro, sorry.

Yeah agreed. That's my reply too, I'm too civilised for that lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ggmu!
Lol I'm 100% anonymous bro, sorry.

Yeah agreed. That's my reply too, I'm too civilised for that lol.

:angel: +1 for being civil.
Original post by Law-Hopeful
You'd kick your own child out onto the streets simply because they were homosexual?

Disgusting.

Each to their own.
I would like to think I'm rather civilized.

How does that reconcile with the fact that, as you just acknowledged, if your own child told you he/she was gay you'd kick them out onto the street?

Spoiler

Original post by Law-Hopeful
How does that reconcile with the fact that, as you just acknowledged, if your own child told you he/she was gay you'd kick them out onto the street?

Spoiler

That's subjective anyway. You can't specifically define the beliefs/etiquette of a civilised individual.
How did you manage to get so many internships at investment banks? :eek: I thought they only took graduates?
Original post by Toxic_Legends
How did you manage to get so many internships at investment banks? :eek: I thought they only took graduates?

I've only ever had this one summer internship. I've had a load of smaller work experience/insights, however.. which paid dividends. I applied to a fair few pre-university schemes and networked myself my current position. They take under-graduates for internships as well. I'm just fairly lucky.
Is the self sacrifice worth it? From what you've seen on a daily basis, what you initially expected?
I've only ever had this one summer internship. I've had a load of smaller work experience/insights, however.. which paid dividends. I applied to a fair few pre-university schemes and networked myself my current position. They take under-graduates for internships as well. I'm just fairly lucky.

If you don't mind me asking where did you find these pre-university schemes? I am also interested in IB (just finished GCSE's) and I want the best possible start and get as much work experience as I can related to banking
That's subjective anyway. You can't specifically define the beliefs/etiquette of a civilised individual.

I suppose to someone who denies evolution in favour of creationism everything is subjective. :rolleyes:
If you don't mind me asking where did you find these pre-university schemes? I am also interested in IB (just finished GCSE's) and I want the best possible start and get as much work experience as I can related to banking

It's with a mindset like that you will go far! (alongside the grades of course) :biggrin:

Take a look at this site, it's where I initially started:

http://www.studentladder.co.uk/gcse/banking.html

They are very competitive so you need a strong CV and good predicted grades (usually AAA-AAB is the minimum requirements).

Also look on the career/internship sections of the major banks, if they offer any opportunities for A-level students. The application process for insights can be very daunting with many stages like tests or interviews (for work experience) but if and when you achieve them it can be very rewarding.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SloaneRanger
Is the self sacrifice worth it? From what you've seen on a daily basis, what you initially expected?

I've had previous experience so I suppose. I would probably never work for any other purpose but the monetary rewards.
Reply 157
I've had previous experience so I suppose. I would probably never work for any other purpose but the monetary rewards.

How important do you think it is to go to a target uni to break into ib?
It's with a mindset like that you will go far! (alongside the grades of course) :biggrin:

Take a look at this site, it's where I initially started:

http://www.studentladder.co.uk/gcse/banking.html

They are very competitive so you need a strong CV and good predicted grades (usually AAA-AAB is the minimum requirements).

Also look on the career/internship sections of the major banks, if they offer any opportunities for A-level students. The application process for insights can be very daunting with many stages like tests or interviews (for work experience) but if and when you achieve them it can be very rewarding.

Thank you! :biggrin: I hope you go far in IB and make a sh*t ton of money! xD

How respected is the uni you have firmed in terms of degree ? I hear IB is very competitive and only interview applications from Oxbridge and LSE? :frown:
Original post by Vorsah
How important do you think it is to go to a target uni to break into ib?

Target uni for front office is very helpful. I was talking to a team member who had to do some recruitment work for our manager and said he would just put aside individuals who didn't have AAB (or equiv) A levels / people who were not in the good universities (or at least his perception of it so target/semi-targets and other good institutions) and people who didn't have internships or other related experiences.

Nearly all the people (whatever department) come from target/semi-target universities. There are a few exceptions to the rule, although mainly still strong universities (top 30 or so).

Thank you! :biggrin: I hope you go far in IB and make a sh*t ton of money! xD

Appreciate it

How respected is the uni you have firmed in terms of degree ? I hear IB is very competitive and only interview applications from Oxbridge and LSE? :frown:

It's a semi-target so nowhere near as prestigious as Oxbridge and LSE but it's still decent. Cass's post-grad courses are highly ranked and undergrad course was placed 4th (Business/Finance) last year by gaurdian (but that's all subjective).. however they get placements in F/O. Actually on my induction there were two Cass students who just graduated on my prospective course who work as traders one in derivatives and one in fixed income.

Oxbridge & LSE only thing is a lie. There are many people who get in with universities outside of the targets, also people come from universities all over the world.

With regards to that, check a look at TSRs guide:

Along with Oxbridge, Imperial and LSE; UCL and Warwick, the remaining members of the G5, are also top Universities to break into the profession from.
After the G5:

Durham/Edinburgh/Nottingham/Bristol

Cass Business School (London)

York/Bath/St Andrews

King’s/Manchester

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Investment_Banking
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest