The Student Room Group

Should teachers be banned from striking?

Scroll to see replies

Banning people from striking is a form of tyranny. If workers want more, they should be able to campaign for more. If teachers simply want a decent standard of living, it is not them we should be angry at, it is the government. These psychopaths like Cameron have forgotten that the government is the servant of the people. They should be scared of us, not vice versa.
Original post by *Interrobang*
I know that NQTs are still learning, but that doesn't excuse their effective hourly rate being what it is (if not less). And with performance related pay, that progression is not guaranteed (and academies, which are increasingly popular can set their own salaries anyway).

I'm not a teacher, but I live with two trainees and work within education, so I know the pressures. NASUWT members do not have different pay to NUT/ATL etc. members, so I don't know how you can say that about their tactics. Yes, they aren't striking but they haven't been successful at solving the issues that are being struck (?) for.

Yes, many other people may earn less, but either they work a lot less hours, or they don't have to be as qualified (often a postgrad qualification), or don't have the same level of responsibility, or a mixture of all three. You can't compare the jobs fairly like that. I'm not saying that an NQT salary is not enough to live on, but that it (and later salaries) don't reflect the amount of work done by teachers.

And as for pensions - the contributions have increased, with less pay out at the end (not to mention the later age of being able to take it). The civil service pensions are not the 'gold standard' that they used to be. And with those increased contributions and little/no salary increase, take home pay is less (and made even less due to inflation)

My partner is a NASWUT member and she is not striking and did not strike last time. She thinks that the remuneration and working conditions plus the pension are more than sufficient. She says that the only people who are probably disgruntled are mostly NQTs who have not yet come to grips with the concept of what it involves being a teacher. Once your NQT friends get some mileage under their belts they will find the work not so hard and the salary very much increased. My partner would not swap her job with anyone.
Yes it should be! :mad: It's not allowed in countries like Japan and South Korea, so why should it be allowed here?! :mad:
Reply 163
Original post by Abstraction
Banning people from striking is a form of tyranny. If workers want more, they should be able to campaign for more. If teachers simply want a decent standard of living, it is not them we should be angry at, it is the government. These psychopaths like Cameron have forgotten that the government is the servant of the people. They should be scared of us, not vice versa.

Do you and others on this thread realise the whole point of state monopolies like the NHS and state schools is to keep cost for society down, and that is done by suppressing wages by being the only major employer in the sector...?
I would like to make it clear that days where teachers go on strike, I happen to get nothing done, if I am required to go to school.

Today we had around 3 hours of doing 'nothing'; the teachers weren't in.

Added to that it was an awards assembly, so we literally did hardly any work.
Reply 165
Original post by Jitesh
I would like to make it clear that days where teachers go on strike, I happen to get nothing done, if I am required to go to school.

Today we had around 3 hours of doing 'nothing'; the teachers weren't in.

Added to that it was an awards assembly, so we literally did hardly any work.

So you're not a proactive self starter then huh?

That'll get you far in the workplace or in business :P
Original post by Quady
So you're not a proactive self starter then huh?

That'll get you far in the workplace or in business :P

Well, to be honest I did get a lot of work done myself, but no one else really did :cool:
People talk about how kids education was disrupted, has this ruined kids futures? Well kids go school to make their future better, but what kind of future have they got when people like teachers don't stand up and try to make a change? Without teachers there would be no education thus they should be happy and satisfied.I bet if the shoe is on the other foot it would be different.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 168
Original post by Dan.dont
People talk about how kids education was disrupted, has this ruined kids futures? Well kids go school to make their future better, but what kind of future have they got when people like teachers don't stand up and try to make a change? Without teachers there would be no education thus they should be happy and satisfied. Can't believe the poll says differently. I bet if the shoe is on the other foot it would be different.

Errrrr the poll says they should be allowed to strike...?

Currently reading 70% no, 30% yes

Or couldn't you read the poll question because you didn't get educated today?
People talk about how kids education was disrupted, has this ruined kids futures? Well kids go school to make their future better, but what kind of future have they got when people like teachers don't stand up and try to make a change?

Except the current strikes, like most, have NOTHING to do with the actual teacher, they're just annoyed that they, assuming the head does their job correctly, have to actually do their job well to get a pay rise that, until now, they got just for not doing anything too stupid.
Original post by Quady
Errrrr the poll says they should be allowed to strike...?

Currently reading 70% no, 30% yes

Or couldn't you read the poll question because you didn't get educated today?

Oh my mistake. I didnt get educated? Says you who cant accept people no no no let me say humans make mistakes. Lets get an insight into your masses of intellect...give me your response
Original post by Jammy Duel
Except the current strikes, like most, have NOTHING to do with the actual teacher, they're just annoyed that they, assuming the head does their job correctly, have to actually do their job well to get a pay rise that, until now, they got just for not doing anything too stupid.

And you have proof of that do you?
Reply 172

I'm pretty sure its still the later (please furnish me with a guided distribution for the performance ratings if not)

However previously you got it unless you were practically sacked.
And you have proof of that do you?

Half my family work in education?
Reply 174
Oh my mistake. I didnt get educated? Says you who cant accept people no no no let me say humans make mistakes. Lets get an insight into your masses of intellect...give me your response

lol just an ironic place to make a mistake where you misread something :smile:
Half my family work in education?

Oh so half your family represent every teacher? WOW must have a big family there
Original post by Quady
lol just an ironic place to make a mistake where you misread something :smile:

Not really when this is not about intellect or anything remotely related to a human error...but I tell you what is an irony saying I misread when you misread the whole theme/ topic of the article.
Reply 177
Not really when this is not about intellect or anything remotely related to a human error...but I tell you what is an irony saying I misread when you misread the whole theme/ topic of the article.

Really?

What in my first post led you to believe that? :smile:
Original post by Quady
Really?

What in my first post led you to believe that? :smile:

Then we have another irony...
Original post by Quady
Care to explain?

I crossed a picket line this morning and still don't know what that means.

And I really don't know whay its happening. Not like they're going to get a 5% pay deal.

everyone is lashing out against the teachers for striking, saying they're greedy or should only do it in a profession where it wont affect people.
Well, the reason they do it is because it affects people, that's how they get their demands heard. If it made no difference whether or not they were striking, then they'd get nowhere.
As you should all know, ALL teachers are required to be part of a union, NUT is an example of just one. When their union decides they are going to strike, BY LAW, the teachers in that union have to as well whether they want to or not. It's not a matter of greed or ignorance, most teachers have to take marking home so that they can finish it for the next day, not to mention planning lessons for upcoming exams which are constantly getting harder and then carry out those lessons whilst the pupils complain there's too much. They end up having to do more work than most professions and strikes allow them to get fairer pay/pensions for the work they do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending