The Student Room Group

Can't afford gym. Need to exercise - help.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ttankzhang
Yep, 1 scoop, never had hemp protein so no idea about the taste; water vs orange juice is your choice. Juice is probably a good shout if it doesn't taste too bad since it'll replenish glycogen stores immediately after your workout.

Probably take both after; neither will do a huge amount pre-workout.

Arms and neck still feeling a little sore haha esp the legs, I heard just walking it off / light cardio works the best :smile:
Got anything for tennis elbow / elbow tenontis ie the tendon under the tricep?

Original post by iWoof
Eggs are the cheapest form of protein.
Remember that

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will do, how many ? :smile:
Original post by kumon
Arms and neck still feeling a little sore haha esp the legs, I heard just walking it off / light cardio works the best :smile:
Got anything for tennis elbow / elbow tenontis ie the tendon under the tricep?

Did you get that from lifting..? Check your technique against videos, but it sounds like your wrist isn't locked straight as you do standing DB press. Not sure about rehab on it, would suggest you Google it; unless shoulder cuff rotations with a dumbbell works (again, check this first, I've never had the problem)
Reply 22
Original post by ttankzhang
Did you get that from lifting..? Check your technique against videos, but it sounds like your wrist isn't locked straight as you do standing DB press. Not sure about rehab on it, would suggest you Google it; unless shoulder cuff rotations with a dumbbell works (again, check this first, I've never had the problem)

Yeah I do it correctly and
No I got that tendonitis about 8 months ago from wrong technique so was just wondering, i'll just rub some oil into it :smile:
And I bend my knees down to my but and stand up whilst holding 5kg dumbels in each hand and above me knees feels sore haha you got that??

Any other dumbell exercises you recomend? :smile:
http://totalbodychallenge.menshealth.co.uk/ Go here and check out Jensen Button's bodyweight workout plan. It'll last you a month, and you'll be able to repeat or modify it thereafter.
Reply 24
Original post by filthynines
http://totalbodychallenge.menshealth.co.uk/ Go here and check out Jensen Button's bodyweight workout plan. It'll last you a month, and you'll be able to repeat or modify it thereafter.

Nice, but my title says I don't have a bar or bench and I don't have the space for it either! :frown:
Need dumbell alternatives :smile:
My bad, didn't look beyond the title since I'm doing another one of the challenges.

You could adapt the ones which require benches if needs be.

Dumbell alternatives - without filling items with water or sand you're going to be a bit stuck.
Original post by kumon
Nice, but my title says I don't have a bar or bench and I don't have the space for it either! :frown:
Need dumbell alternatives :smile:

Weighted push-ups, as mentioned. You have 40kg of weights? Whack them in a backpack and do normal and incline push ups. If you can crank out a good number like that you're doing well.

End of the day, it's about working your muscles hard rather than the specific exercises or equipment you use.
BTW re: Hemp protein - it doesn't mix well and it doesn't taste great. It's high in fibre, which is (I presume) why it doesn't mix well. It's also quite expensive.
Reply 28
Original post by chazwomaq
Weighted push-ups, as mentioned. You have 40kg of weights? Whack them in a backpack and do normal and incline push ups. If you can crank out a good number like that you're doing well.

End of the day, it's about working your muscles hard rather than the specific exercises or equipment you use.

A heavy back pack and do push ups? Can't I just do push ups without weighted back pack, does it make much difference?
Edit I meant bench press alternatives, I have dumbells :biggrin:

BTW re: Hemp protein - it doesn't mix well and it doesn't taste great. It's high in fibre, which is (I presume) why it doesn't mix well. It's also quite expensive.

Yeah just tried to mix it with water hahha just floated right at the top and wasn't too great...should I eat it with natural greek youghurt instead? Or just my normal evening meal? :smile:
I'm trying to think how I mixed it before... and I can't remember! Think I just kept adding liquid until the bits clinging to the shaker moved!
Reply 30
I'm trying to think how I mixed it before... and I can't remember! Think I just kept adding liquid until the bits clinging to the shaker moved!

Know any other good dumbell exercises apart from standing DB and bicep curls? :smile:
Yep - single leg stiff-legged deadlifts. You use light weights. Start by doing 8 reps of 12kg, then 12 reps of 8kg and 20 reps of 4kg (per leg).
Original post by kumon
A heavy back pack and do push ups? Can't I just do push ups without weighted back pack, does it make much difference?
Edit I meant bench press alternatives, I have dumbells :biggrin:

:confused: Push ups work pectorals (and triceps). Just like bench press. So it is an alternative.

The more weight you put in the more difference it makes! If you only do 10 normal push ups then fine, stick to that. But if you can already do 50, then maybe it's time to add some weight.

Quick Reply

Latest