The Student Room Group

I work in the City, ask me nothing

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abdul-Karim
I've had previous experience so I suppose. I would probably never work for any other purpose but the monetary rewards.

Keep up the good work, you will go very far from what i've read.
Reply 161
I've had previous experience so I suppose. I would probably never work for any other purpose but the monetary rewards.

Do you think going to surrey university would give you a chance in IB? It's ranked in top 10 in UK
Original post by Vorsah
Do you think going to surrey university would give you a chance in IB? It's ranked in top 10 in UK

Given you have the right competencies, experiences, motivation, degree classification I doubt it will hinder you much. Also depends on what degree you're doing and what role you're applying for. If you can get an interview/AC then you are pretty much on par competing with the other candidates for a spot in the industry. Different banks have different recruitment processes and favour different institutions. For example, I know deutsche heavily recruit from targets.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SloaneRanger
Keep up the good work, you will go very far from what i've read.

Thanks! :biggrin:
Original post by Law-Hopeful
I suppose to someone who denies evolution in favour of creationism everything is subjective. :rolleyes:

-dead-

Original post by Vorsah

I'm pretty sure it's only Top 10 in The Guardian. It generally ranks around 30. Try to aim as high as possible within your reach.
Original post by yl95

I'm pretty sure it's only Top 10 in The Guardian. It generally ranks around 30. Try to aim as high as possible within your reach.

We as students get so worked up on university ranks when that only really plays one small part of the recruitment process. The recruiter I was speaking too said he would favour a top 20 with a first, solid experience who shows determination than a 2:1 target with no experience who thinks he can get a placement because of their university. Said recruiter studied at Loughborough and works in global markets side M/O, so idk what the specific deal is with on the IBD side.

So although university matters, going to a target doesn't garuntee anything if you don't put the effort of going through the SWs / Summer internships. That being said, there's a clear trend that students from targets are aware of what they need to do & have good links with industry to get their students the best possible chance of breaking into industry and setting them up with internships. Strong alumni network for targets is also a plus. Overall, the likelihood of an individual going to a target school (especially the likes of LSE) getting an interview would beat that of a non-target/semi.

By top-20 I mean a decent uni, they don't actually look at the league tables when doing their filtering.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 166
What would you do if your kids left Islam?
Were you always a Muslim or did you come back to Islam?
Original post by Roger1
What would you do if your kids left Islam?
Were you always a Muslim or did you come back to Islam?

Not much I can do, other than try and convince them to become Muslims again.

I was always a Muslim.
Reply 168
Not much I can do, other than try and convince them to become Muslims again.

But would your relationship change with them in any way?

I was always a Muslim.

I meant, did you ever leave Islam and then decided to come back to it?
Original post by Roger1
But would your relationship change with them in any way?

Probably wouldn't regard them as my kids anymore.

Original post by Roger1
I meant, did you ever leave Islam and then decided to come back to it?

Not that I can re-call. I used to doubt the religion a lot because it was adopted from my parents, until I actually studied Islam and various other religions for myself.
Reply 170

But would you let them stay in your house anymore?

Not that I can re-call. I used to doubt the religion a lot because it was adopted from my parents, until I actually studied Islam and various other religions for myself.

Yeah same here.

Jesus fücking Christ.
Original post by Roger1
But would you let them stay in your house anymore?

Most probably not. I'm sure there are other more tolerant families that might want them.
We as students get so worked up on university ranks when that only really plays one small part of the recruitment process. The recruiter I was speaking too said he would favour a top 20 with a first, solid experience who shows determination than a 2:1 target with no experience who thinks he can get a placement because of their university. Said recruiter studied at Loughborough and works in global markets side M/O, so idk what the specific deal is with on the IBD side.

So although university matters, going to a target doesn't garuntee anything if you don't put the effort of going through the SWs / Summer internships. That being said, there's a clear trend that students from targets are aware of what they need to do & have good links with industry to get their students the best possible chance of breaking into industry and setting them up with internships. Strong alumni network for targets is also a plus. Overall, the likelihood of an individual going to a target school (especially the likes of LSE) getting an interview would beat that of a non-target/semi.

By top-20 I mean a decent uni, they don't actually look at the league tables when doing their filtering.

You speak sense, however from my experience to get in from somewhere like Surrey you need to be the best at your university, so it is still a significant hurdle. The issue you mention in your final paragraph is key. The culture at places like LSE and Warwick is considerably different to that of somewhere like Manchester or York. At LSE, after what name and what course, the next line is IBD or S&T?

In contrast at LSE, being average coupled with some luck, good applications and you'll secure interviews. Friends doing IBD summer at the American banks with next to no work experience/extra curricular prior to their summer internship and possibly just a SW (which they did not convert)
Most probably not. I'm sure there are other more tolerant families that might want them.

Luckily there will be many. Maybe a gay couple! :biggrin:

What do you make of the resignation of Mozilla's CEO (which was forced because of his opposition to same sex marriage)?
Luckily there will be many. Maybe a gay couple! :biggrin:

What do you make of the resignation of Mozilla's CEO (which was forced because of his opposition to same sex marriage)?

I don't have a say on the topic.
I don't have a say on the topic.

Does it make you fear for the security of (or your chances of achieving) any future roles of significance that you might reach? :wink:
What's your occupation?
I haven't a clue what that means.

I was interested in economics/trading since about year 7 when I used to flip stocks on the grand exchange in runescape for substantial capital gains. I had no idea such markets existed in the real world. My real determination for IB started around the beginning of Y13.

With my wife and kids, in Dubai.

Don't really have a favourite colour, I don't understand the logic of liking a particular colour.

Shift dem rune bars, maybe make enough for party hat yeah?:fatcontroller:

Anyway mashallah brother its good that you have ambition, but look after your soul.
Does it make you fear for the security of (or your chances of achieving) any future roles of significance that you might reach? :wink:

Not at all.

Original post by ThePoet
What's your occupation?

Summer intern at IB

Original post by SamTheMan95
Shift dem rune bars, maybe make enough for party hat yeah?:fatcontroller:

Anyway mashallah brother its good that you have ambition, but look after your soul.

You already know :wink: all kinds of 99 and Jzk

Quick Reply

Latest