The Student Room Group

Liverpool John Moores University or Brunel University?

Hey guys! :hello:

I'm a New Yorker pursuing a Master's in Journalism...and I had plans to go to Brunel University --'til now.

Though I've applied since February/March, I didn't get wind about my scholarship awards to Brunel/Liverpool John Moores until today! And I found out that Liverpool plans to pay every penny of my tuition...Brunel will only slash 15% of my tuition.

Long story short, I've already bought my ticket to Brunel (my first choice), signed off on a $48,000 loan (28,000 pounds), got my CAS # for my Visa, etc.... But hell, I just found out Liverpool will pay my tuition!

In terms of prestige, social setting, livelihood, cost -- or anything else you'd like to add -- I want to ask you guys, which university should I choose? Liverpool John Moores or Brunel?

Thanks in advance!

Kimberly Gedeon
Hi there!
I don't know much about Brunel university but have studied at Liverpool John Moores university for the past three years. My degree isn't in Journalism though so cant tell you much about the teaching there although I can say that the university is good, the people are friendly and there's a lot to do social wise! It might seem a lot different to you having come from New York but it's a city and offers everything you would expect just not on a such a large scale as New York!
Uni buildings are all conveniently placed and are near to the town centre..about a five minute walk away. Their facilities are modern and the teaching from what I've experienced is good although I can't speak on behalf of the Journalism department!
Accommodation around Liverpool is decent priced. My accomodation loan covered it just about!! I lived in halls in first year and private for the two years after. For my final year I paid £350 a month to live by the docks which was probably the most expensive but best decision I ever made! You can find cheaper places and I know some friends who have paid 260 a month for a two bed flat.
I kind of waffled lol! I'm sorry! But hope it helped in some way! :smile:
Original post by shelly1233
Hi there!
I don't know much about Brunel university but have studied at Liverpool John Moores university for the past three years. My degree isn't in Journalism though so cant tell you much about the teaching there although I can say that the university is good, the people are friendly and there's a lot to do social wise! It might seem a lot different to you having come from New York but it's a city and offers everything you would expect just not on a such a large scale as New York!
Uni buildings are all conveniently placed and are near to the town centre..about a five minute walk away. Their facilities are modern and the teaching from what I've experienced is good although I can't speak on behalf of the Journalism department!
Accommodation around Liverpool is decent priced. My accomodation loan covered it just about!! I lived in halls in first year and private for the two years after. For my final year I paid £350 a month to live by the docks which was probably the most expensive but best decision I ever made! You can find cheaper places and I know some friends who have paid 260 a month for a two bed flat.
I kind of waffled lol! I'm sorry! But hope it helped in some way! :smile:

Lol, I'm not sure what waffled means, but I'm gonna say it means to ramble on? If so, no worries. I wanted as much info as possible and you gave me that.

But aren't there three different campuses? What happens if you have your first class at one campus and the 2nd one at another? Wouldn't it take ages to walk from one campus to another?

Secondly, would you consider Liverpool to be a relatively safe city? Is getting around pretty easy (public transportation)?
I'd go to LJM, there is no way in hell Brunel merits £28k debt
Original post by Table dust
I'd go to LJM, there is no way in hell Brunel merits £28k debt

Hmm...so I'm guessing Brunel isn't as reputable as I thought?
Original post by kimmiexsweetie

LJMU is ranker slightly higher that Brunel if that matters to you at all?
I'm also am LJMU student and couldn't recommend the university higher I love it here, I also think financially it'd be a wiser decision for you to come here since they offered to cover your tuition so you'd be in a lot less debt.
Original post by SophieSmall
LJMU is ranker slightly higher that Brunel if that matters to you at all?
I'm also am LJMU student and couldn't recommend the university higher I love it here, I also think financially it'd be a wiser decision for you to come here since they offered to cover your tuition so you'd be in a lot less debt.

It definitely matters. But actually, Brunel University is ranked higher, isn't it? Brunel is ranked 44th and LJMU is ranked 82nd. Here's the source:

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings

Yeah I definitely agree with that last part.
Lol ye that's exactly what it means!

Although there are a few different campuses...each one accomodates for different areas of education. For example mine was the Byron Street campus which was for Pharmaceutical and biomedical related degrees. Your campus would be specific to journalism so I'm sure you won't be having to go from one campus to another.

Liverpool like any other city has its bad areas and good areas. I've never experienced anything bad and the city is safe overall. I've probably felt less safe in my home town of Manchester than in Liverpool! So wouldn't be too worried about that.

And public transport is available all over the city. Its easy and quick and a lot of people use it. A lot of buses run late into the night aswell so that's a plus.

Hope that helps.
It definitely matters. But actually, Brunel University is ranked higher, isn't it? Brunel is ranked 44th and LJMU is ranked 82nd. Here's the source:

Ooh well when I googled it just before I was given different rankings to that ... that's weird.
Original post by shelly1233
Lol ye that's exactly what it means!

Although there are a few different campuses...each one accomodates for different areas of education. For example mine was the Byron Street campus which was for Pharmaceutical and biomedical related degrees. Your campus would be specific to journalism so I'm sure you won't be having to go from one campus to another.

Liverpool like any other city has its bad areas and good areas. I've never experienced anything bad and the city is safe overall. I've probably felt less safe in my home town of Manchester than in Liverpool! So wouldn't be too worried about that.

And public transport is available all over the city. Its easy and quick and a lot of people use it. A lot of buses run late into the night aswell so that's a plus.

Hope that helps.

Thank goodness. I was afraid that I'd have to run like a trackstar from one campus to another. That clears that up. :bunny:

Thanks you were definitely helpful.

Brunel is more reputable than LJM, however it's not worth the £28k price tag.

I'm unaware of your circumstances but personally I would only burden that kind of debt if I were studying at somewhere very prestigious
Original post by Table dust
Brunel is more reputable than LJM, however it's not worth the £28k price tag.

I'm unaware of your circumstances but personally I would only burden that kind of debt if I were studying at somewhere very prestigious

To be clear, the actual tuition costs £12100 pounds (for international students like me). Whatever's left is supposed to cover accommodation, books, groceries, travel, and other miscellaneous expenses for a year.

Yeah, I agree. If Brunel isn't that prestigious, it's not worth it I guess.

I use this one. Better rounded.
http://st.hitcreative.com/education/university_guide/active/UniversityGuide/table/type/rank/year/2014

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending