The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Southampton Firmers 2014

Scroll to see replies

Met the conditions of my offer, so I'm doing Cardiac Physiology.

Posted from TSR Mobile
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Firmed Southampton to do Adult Nursing 2014 :smile:
Reply 182
Original post by hebenc
i guys, I'm a current student at Southampton, and was trying to work out what the main reason is for people's choice for Southampton - if you guys wouldn't mind replying (you won't be named) with a ranking from 1 (most) -7 (least)

Accommodation
Location (within the city/country, proximity to home, near the sea)
Campus university
Student life - night life,
Official university rankings - Russell Group, Guardian rankings etc.
Recommendations - family, friends
UniStats

I'd really appreciate your help, it is completely up to you so be honest, no pressure or judgements, it's just for an article I'm doing for our student paper (the best paper ever by the way :P) - good luck and I hope you'll all be joining us in September!

My main reason (1) was actually the course, (content + combinations available), but you dont have that option :P
so for the others:

Accommodation 5
Location (within the city/country, proximity to home, near the sea) 3
Campus university 6
Student life - night life, 7
Official university rankings - Russell Group, Guardian rankings etc. 2
Recommendations - family, friends 4
UniStats 8 (didnt really look at this)
Reply 183
I'm doing oceanography!
Hi all, I should be doing Science Foundation Year next year if I get my grades!
Original post by Mants
Just found out about this thread! I have firmed Southampton in Engineering with Foundation Year :smile:

same here bro, Engineering w/ foundation year FTW :colone:
I heard unis are giving out reading lists. Does anyone know if Soton does that? Maybe Geography :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've applied for Engineering with a foundation year and i've got my offer which says i need 3 B's, i've firmed the offer already as it is one of the best places to go to study engineering, and i really like the city. The Thing is i have already got the grades, i got them in 2013, and have told them this via email, but they haven't updated or changed my offer to unconditional, should i just ignore it and treat it as unconditional, or work harder to inform the university of the fact that i've already got what they're asking for

Also i have applied for accomodation and have submitted my appliation i did so mid june, However i havent got any confirmation email saying i have submitted my application or heard anything back from them although my application status says "SUBMITTED". does this happen to everybody? I really do not want to be sleeping in a tent for my 1st year at uni.

Also what is the number for the department in Southampton responsible for Accomodations? Cant seem to find it on their website.

Thanks in advance everyone
Original post by mar junior
I've applied for Engineering with a foundation year and i've got my offer which says i need 3 B's, i've firmed the offer already as it is one of the best places to go to study engineering, and i really like the city. The Thing is i have already got the grades, i got them in 2013, and have told them this via email, but they haven't updated or changed my offer to unconditional, should i just ignore it and treat it as unconditional, or work harder to inform the university of the fact that i've already got what they're asking for

Also i have applied for accomodation and have submitted my appliation i did so mid june, However i havent got any confirmation email saying i have submitted my application or heard anything back from them although my application status says "SUBMITTED". does this happen to everybody? I really do not want to be sleeping in a tent for my 1st year at uni.

Also what is the number for the department in Southampton responsible for Accomodations? Cant seem to find it on their website.

Thanks in advance everyone

Until your offer is unconditional, your application status won't change. People who where unconditional by April should have got accommodation by now so I think it happens about a month or 2 after you get your offer. Most people get their accommodation offers in August when the results are out. But they tell you to check the website every few days as your offer is only valid for 7 days. Their number is 02380595959. You should probably ring or email the engineering admissions to ask about your offer. They will want you to send them copies of your certificates to prove your grades. You can look up their contact details online. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lala121
I heard unis are giving out reading lists. Does anyone know if Soton does that? Maybe Geography :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Id like to know this too, but not for Geography.
I'll be studying law this coming September :smile:
Spanish and Portuguese =)
Original post by joshhasnoidea
same here bro, Engineering w/ foundation year FTW :colone:

Another Eng w/ Foundation Year here ! Still deciding between Mechanical and Civil though...
Reply 193
BSc Management :smile:
Have been accepted for politics and economics :smile: (got my results early as i did the IB)
Original post by ataubman
Have been accepted for politics and economics :smile: (got my results early as i did the IB)

Ah awesome, I've accepted a Politics offer too (unconditional) :redface:
Original post by ~ Aquamarine ~
Ah awesome, I've accepted a Politics offer too (unconditional) :redface:

Great :smile:
Original post by OllieGCSEs
I will be compiling a list of usernames and degree choices on this post for those of us who have chosen to firm Southampton for 2014 entry, so quote me with your course (and any other information you'd like to be shown, such as grade offer or preferred halls), and I'll add you to it :smile: Thanks!

Here's an article kindly made by Lala121, add yourself! :smile:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/southampton_firmers_2014

Adult Nursing:
MeganLouise94 (Glen Eyre/Wessex Lane)
skimbo
eloisejw
alice2493
magicmonkey (Glen Eyre/Wessex Lane)
crmrose90

Aerospace engineering:
sevm (MEng)

Archaeology and History:
helenaslater
Spaldingas

Chemistry:
alice.o123 (MSc) (w/ a placement year)

Child and Adult Nursing:
justyynaa1

Child Nursing:
nkbarker176
Honeymay (Wessex Lane/Glen Eyre)

Civil engineering:
/\/\achination (MEng)
I'm a fish (MEng) (w/ a year in industry)

Computer Science:
Phejix

Education:
rosiewantshugs (BSc)

Electrical and Electronic Engineering:
Chike

Electronic Engineering:
OllieGCSEs (MEng, Glen Eyre)
hexagonalRod

Engineering w/ Foundation Year:
Mants

English:
tnetennba

English and Modern Languages:
CarlosByron

Film Studies and English:
ashmil

Geography:
Lala121 (BSc, Glen Eyre)
katieaj96 (BSc, Glen Eyre/Wessex Lane)

Healthcare Management:
Matthew150
Birchie94 (Glen Eyre)

History:
thatdedmanfellow (BA)

Law:
becks446 (Glen Eyre/Mayflower/Wessex Lane)

Maritime Archaeology:
Arc_diver

Mathematics:
kelechi96 (MMath, AAA, Highfield Hall/Glen Eyre/Wessex Lane)

Media Culture and Production:
Emma.xoxo

Medicine:
Daryaa1
pram (Glen Eyre)
t_weir (Glen Eyre)

Modern History and Politics:
Agnew569

Modern Languages and Contemporary European Studies (French and German):
katiewormald1 (MLang, Glen Eyre/Wessex Lane)

Modern Languages and Contemporary European Studies (French & ab initio Spanish):
kb37
chloe17 (BA, Glen Eyre/Wessex Lane)

Modern Languages and Contemporary European Studies (French & Spanish):
hrsharp

Physiotherapy:
tracey14

Politics:
~ Aquamarine ~ (Bencraft/Wessex Lane)

Psychology:
Cxx

Psychology and Criminology:
Parkleton (Wessex Lane)

Zoology:
beckybennett1710 (BSc)
Lizzyg

Last updated: 28/6/14

Deeptesh, MSc Business Analytics and Management
Reply 198
German linguistics! Need AAB though :s

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 199
Original post by hebenc
i guys, I'm a current student at Southampton, and was trying to work out what the main reason is for people's choice for Southampton - if you guys wouldn't mind replying (you won't be named) with a ranking from 1 (most) -7 (least)

Accommodation
Location (within the city/country, proximity to home, near the sea)
Campus university
Student life - night life,
Official university rankings - Russell Group, Guardian rankings etc.
Recommendations - family, friends
UniStats

I'd really appreciate your help, it is completely up to you so be honest, no pressure or judgements, it's just for an article I'm doing for our student paper (the best paper ever by the way :P) - good luck and I hope you'll all be joining us in September!

Simple, really - my dream is to work in F1, so I just googled where Adrian Newey graduated. Then I found out Soton has a wind tunnel. And last but not least, I checked the rankings - really great!:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending