The Student Room Group

Irish People & People of Irish Descent

obviously I'm aware I'm asking a certain audience here. (mainly middle class, safe background etc.)

but I'm curious

Have any of you had any sh*t for being Irish? (that your aware of)

Optionally
I'd be interested to know.

also if you respond I'd appreciate it if you leave your
if you are 1st, 2nd, 3rd generation / mixed descent
and possibly what class you are.

(living in a hostel, council flat/house, flat share, flat rent, house rent, house mortgage, house paid for. ruff area, nice area. blue collar/white collar family.)
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm part Irish. That's all you need to know :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by Danny the Geezer
I'm part Irish. That's all you need to know :biggrin:

k could you answer the OP.
Reply 3
I may be butting in on this thread as I'm British so this won't be a first-person account buuuuuut, one of my closest friends is Irish(Irish parents+upbringing...accent;Catholicism and all).She is upper-middle class and never really experienced any sort of discrimination courtesy of her ethnicity-not that I know of anyway. She's been the butt of a few jokes a handful of times ,but that's about it.
I'm Irish and all my family is Irish, I've never known of anyone to be discriminated for being Irish :s ... but then again I still live in Ireland...
OP are you Irish? and have you experienced discrimination?

Personally, I don't view Irish people any differently than anyone else, in fact their accents can be quite charming :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by SharpenedPencils
OP are you Irish? and have you experienced discrimination?

Personally, I don't view Irish people any differently than anyone else, in fact their accents can be quite charming :biggrin:

I am (2nd gen).
and i have.

although im aware of the complexity of people antagonising you.
i grew up in a bit of a ruff place. and i think people there are always a bit more straight forward crude and vulgar with their opinions. i think middle class people find saying stuff like "go back home you black bastard" in poor taste and would never say that but still dislike black people and not give them a job. so stuffs a bit more covert as you go up the ladder.

there is a lot of fondness for irish people no doubt. but i also see people loving up jamaican culture too.

i think its weird because some people live within more right wing communities tend to come up with different coping strategies.

like i have a friend whos mixed race who lives in quite a bnp-ish type area and she will tell you she hasnt experienced racism. yet i hear people in her company say lots of racist stuff in "jest" as "banter" and when i look at her like "seriously?" she seems to feel the need to reassure me that its not meant in offence. but yet i doubt those guys would make those same bantery remarks and racist jokes if they were on their own in a room full of black people.

but yea i've experienced quite a few different vibes of trouble.
some sincere (bad old day) proper hate stuff. which is rare.

some stuff where people dislike me and their just saying stuff thats offensive about irish people to cut deeper and provoke me more.

some stuff thats ignorance. like ive met a few people that have sincerely not known theres a difference between irish people and irish gypsies.

and finally the most common one seems to be just getting laughed at and the p*ss taken. which ive found to actually dig the most. its pretty bad when ur sat in a room full of people and someone makes an offensive joke about your heritage and everyone joins in laughing. especially if they have this stereotype that irish people go nuts and want to fight people and throw a "paddy fit" you feel like if you jump out and ruin the mood by challenging it your gonna fit the stereotype they already have of you.

but yea i was just curious what other peoples experiences were or if im just unlucky lol.
Original post by fojodef
I am (2nd gen).
and i have.

but yea i was just curious what other peoples experiences were or if im just unlucky lol.

Aw man, that doesn't sound great, I am sorry you've gone through that! :frown: I am black, so I have also experienced racism in the past, although all of it was during primary school. I found that quite distressing, since I was younger, and was upset easily. The only other incident was the one time someone shouted "Go home!" in a car driving past; it didn't really have much of an effect on me, and I brushed it off. Obviously, it's a bit sad that we live in a world where such ignorant people exist; but at the same time, I am happy that most of the population appear to be more tolerant than that small minority.
(edited 9 years ago)
But y'all look English enough so no random chav will shout racist abouse at ya!
Reply 9
Original post by LaughingBro
But y'all look English enough so no random chav will shout racist abouse at ya!

yea i've not experienced that. its always been people who have spoken to me who know me through people or if its come up in conversation and theyve not known im irish. or if they find out my name which. is basically so bait i might aswell be called conner o'conner
Reply 10
Aw man, that doesn't sound great, I am sorry you've gone through that! :frown: I am black, so I have also experienced racism in the past, although all of it was during primary school. I found that quite distressing, since I was younger, and was upset easily. The only other incident was the one time someone shouted "Go home!" in a car driving past; it didn't really much of an effect on me, and I brushed it off. Obviously, it's a bit sad that we live in a world where such ignorant people exist; but at the same time, I am happy that most of the population appear to be more tolerant than that small minority.

thank you for you empathy. yea i here that on the primary school stuff. i think it might have a bigger effect than we let on. doesnt help in your foundations of home and community and feeling that you are antagonised.
lucky being white I havent had that type of random racism like people shouting out of cars. or spotting me from across the street and singling me out on my way home just cause of the way i look. yea i defiantly agree most people are cool. but it has an effect i think. did you think your experiences made you hypersensitive to that type of antagonism or gone the other way?
I'm Northern Irish, which to most English people is the same thing as just being 'regular' Irish (the number of times I had to explain the difference at uni... Obviously not everyone assumed they were the same, but a significant number did :s)

The worst I've had is people telling me they can't understand me tbh. My accent's thick, I say some words differently and I talk quickly.
There was a couple of terrorist jokes too (from people who knew the difference), and jokes about potatoes, but it's all in good humor so I really couldn't call it abuse or discrimination.

Not sure how helpful that is tbh. But it's at a point where I basically just go 'yeah I'm Irish' if I cba explaining the whole North/Republic thing. And I haven't had any trouble.

Sorry to hear you did have issues though :frown: that's not cool.
Original post by fojodef
did you think your experiences made you hypersensitive to that type of antagonism or gone the other way?

Hmm, it's really tough to judge the impact, since I don't know how I would be without those experiences. But I think if anything it's made me grow a tougher skin, and realise that some people will say those hurtful things; but it's better for me to simply move on, rather than dwell on what they say. Although even if someone says something in a jesting manner, I can always differentiate between those with a darker intention and those which are truly light hearted jokes. The former does make me slightly sad, but as I said, I try to forget it since it's 100% their problem to have such an attitude; and their comeuppance is due sooner or later since its illegal to discriminate against people. And one day someone won't let it slide that they've made such a remark, and they'll get in trouble for it.
Reply 13
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
I'm Northern Irish, which to most English people is the same thing as just being 'regular' Irish (the number of times I had to explain the difference at uni... Obviously not everyone assumed they were the same, but a significant number did :s)

The worst I've had is people telling me they can't understand me tbh. My accent's thick, I say some words differently and I talk quickly.
There was a couple of terrorist jokes too (from people who knew the difference), and jokes about potatoes, but it's all in good humor so I really couldn't call it abuse or discrimination.

Not sure how helpful that is tbh. But it's at a point where I basically just go 'yeah I'm Irish' if I cba explaining the whole North/Republic thing. And I haven't had any trouble.

Sorry to hear you did have issues though :frown: that's not cool.

thanks. yea ive met people that thought ireland (as in the republic) was part of england and i've had to explain the north several times lol.

yea i remember i was in trouble at school and my mom had a meeting with some of the teachers and there was a moment when one of the teachers kept asking her to repeat her self cause she couldnt understand it and one of the other teachers was smirking and trying to laugh. so they were really taking the piss. that was a special moment that significantly p*ssed me off.

not gonna lie i find the potato jokes offensive due to the history. but i dont really say much about it. considering irish people themselves joke about it. although i draw the line at people asking me to say "potato"

im guessing your from a NI catholic since you found your way to the thread? also have you grown up in britain or just over for uni?
Reply 14
Hmm, it's really tough to judge the impact, since I don't know how I would be without those experiences. But I think if anything it's made me grow a tougher skin, and realise that some people will say those hurtful things; but it's better for me to simply move on, rather than dwell on what they say. Although even if someone says something in a jesting manner, I can always differentiate between those with a darker intention and those which are truly light hearted jokes. The former does make me slightly sad, but as I said, I try to forget it since it's 100% their problem to have such an attitude; and their comeuppance is due sooner or later since its illegal to discriminate against people. And one day someone won't let it slide that they've made such a remark, and they'll get in trouble for it.

thats really positive way of looking at it :smile:
Original post by fojodef
obviously I'm aware I'm asking a certain audience here. (mainly middle class, safe background etc.)

but I'm curious

Have any of you had any sh*t for being Irish? (that your aware of)

Optionally
I'd be interested to know.

also if you respond I'd appreciate it if you leave your
if you are 1st, 2nd, 3rd generation / mixed descent
and possibly what class you are.

(living in a hostel, council flat/house, flat share, flat rent, house rent, house mortgage, house paid for. ruff area, nice area. blue collar/white collar family.)

3rd gen mixed, 20, upper middle class

I had one guy when I was at school call me a terrorist and tell me to **** off back to Ireland, but other than that and a few jokes, no.
Original post by fojodef
thanks. yea ive met people that thought ireland (as in the republic) was part of england and i've had to explain the north several times lol.

yea i remember i was in trouble at school and my mom had a meeting with some of the teachers and there was a moment when one of the teachers kept asking her to repeat her self cause she couldnt understand it and one of the other teachers was smirking and trying to laugh. so they were really taking the piss. that was a special moment that significantly p*ssed me off.

not gonna lie i find the potato jokes offensive due to the history. but i dont really say much about it. considering irish people themselves joke about it. although i draw the line at people asking me to say "potato"

im guessing your from a NI catholic since you found your way to the thread? also have you grown up in britain or just over for uni?

Nah, my family's protestant. Definitely regard ourselves as British rather than Irish. I'm just over in England for uni.

I don't find potato jokes that offensive tbh. Someone remarked while I was at uni that I eat a lot of potatoes and it 'must be the Irish-ness' or something and I just shrugged and said 'yeah, I eat as many as I can in case there's a famine again'. Like...I dunno, I suppose I think there's no point getting upset over something intended in good humour. I got asked to say potato a couple of times but they soon stopped when they realised I don't say it the way they were expecting.
Reply 17
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
3rd gen mixed, 20, upper middle class

I had one guy when I was at school call me a terrorist and tell me to **** off back to Ireland, but other than that and a few jokes, no.

hi thanks for the input.

do you remember the year around he/she said it?

i ask because Im curious how much stuff echoes from the troubles.
like it makes more sense that there was more trouble during the 90s when bombs were still going off. but if its continued till after then that does make me wonder.
I'm 3rd generation, working class and a home owner. I've never had any serious abuse because of my ancestry, naturally I do get the obvious "spud basher" or "bog trotter"but they are meant in jest.
Original post by fojodef
hi thanks for the input.

do you remember the year around he/she said it?

i ask because Im curious how much stuff echoes from the troubles.
like it makes more sense that there was more trouble during the 90s when bombs were still going off. but if its continued till after then that does make me wonder.

Around 2008/9. The guy was from an area where a bomb had happened so that was his beef.

Quick Reply

Latest