The Student Room Group

Audiology - September 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by Humera_x
Hi guys you might remember me from near the beginning of the thread. I had originally been planning to apply for audiology for over a year but I didn't want not risk my chances as I only have the option of going to a local uni. If I didn't get into Uni of Leeds then that would've been a waste of an application. So I applied for something completely random which I didn't want to do. Yes, I do regret this decision now and wonder if anyone can give me any advice on how I could get a place on the Audiology course at university of Leeds for September 2014 start.

If all else fails i would take the risk of like rejecting everyfn u have offers for and den see if there is space thru clearing to gain entry
Reply 241
Original post by mammacita
ucas extra still open ring up Leeds and see if ders space

The available places on extra are on the ucas website and there aren't any for audiology. It says 'this course is not open to New applicants'

Original post by mammacita
If all else fails i would take the risk of like rejecting everyfn u have offers for and den see if there is space thru clearing to gain entry

Clearing is my last hope it seems :frown:

Thankyou for your replies!

I've emailed the Audiology admissions tutor for any advice he has. He'll probably reply in a week or so due to holidays. I'll see what he has to say.
Reply 242
anyone done accommodation for manch??? What campus do we put and cant find pics :frown:
Reply 243
Original post by RKAUR
anyone done accommodation for manch??? What campus do we put and cant find pics :frown:

Hi im doing audiology- manchester my firm!
Ive picked
1.Sheavyn
2.Canterbury Court
3.Richmond Park
for my accomodation.
They are all ensuite self catered as thats what i wanted.
1 and 3 are both fallowfield campus which is apparently where the Student Village is, Victoria is a bit quiter but CC is a really nice halls so worth it!
Apparently City Campus is generally foreign students (not neccesarily a bad thing) and is the most far away really because as I said Fallowfield is where all the Students live and theyre pretty far apart.

oak house and owens park seem to be the most lively, but i didn't want anywhere too crazy (as i would still like to study at uni!) and sheavyn is pretty close to owens park and oak house, but in its own little grassy oasis! Perfect in my opinion!

Hope i helped and hope to see you in september!! GOOD LUCK!
Original post by stressed.human
Just an update, I've decided to stick with Audiology:L
Out of the all the uni's I visited (Middlesex, Leeds, Aston and Demontfort), I felt the most comfortable at Demontfort. I really liked the atmosphere there :biggrin: however, the University of Leeds had beautiful buildings!

Yep I've done my work experience in an Audiology department :smile: how about you?

Hi, thats brilliant, how did you get work experience at an Audiology department?

I've been trying at local hospitals, but kept being passed from person to person on the phone. The work experience department said they only deal with 16-19 year olds instead of older students like me (I'm 29).
Any advice fromanyone would be great.
Hi guys. I want to know how much the salary is in private sector eg boots? Apprently there's bonuses on top of your fixed salary? Also will I need work experience for this as I'm going to apply in a few months? Thank you
I do know at speaksavers its a fixed salary of 21000 (the same as nhs) plus the bonus depending on how much you sell... at Amplifon its also fixed around 20000 plus the bonus.. at boots I believe it's about 18000 plus quite a big bonus per hearing aid you sell... you've got to also consider that all the companies take their cut too and give you may be around 15-20% of the sale. .. I hope that helps :smile:
Original post by Audio123
I do know at speaksavers its a fixed salary of 21000 (the same as nhs) plus the bonus depending on how much you sell... at Amplifon its also fixed around 20000 plus the bonus.. at boots I believe it's about 18000 plus quite a big bonus per hearing aid you sell... you've got to also consider that all the companies take their cut too and give you may be around 15-20% of the sale. .. I hope that helps :smile:

Oh okay. After a few years does that £21,000 go upto around £25,000-27,000 + bonuses? Also how much are the equipment, Apparently they are worth a few thousand?
Yes it does from a band 5 to a 6 depending on how much you try in the department to progress and the available founding etc.. The equipment for audiology is very expensive, sound proof booths alone are worth thousands. If you have a chance to go down to the university open days (Leeds) they have a tour and have all the equipment you would see and use in a clinic in the university and they'd be able to answer questions about equipment cost etc..
Yes it does from a band 5 to a 6 depending on how much you try in the department to progress and the available founding etc.. The equipment for audiology is very expensive, sound proof booths alone are worth thousands. If you have a chance to go down to the university open days (Leeds) they have a tour and have all the equipment you would see and use in a clinic in the university and they'd be able to answer questions about equipment cost etc..

Are you a audiologist? Is it very likely that the pay in private sector will go to £25,000-27,000+ bonuses? Also are the bonuses a lot? Because you get a % of the things you sell? So most likely you will be eating Over £30,000?
I'm a student.. to be honest I'm not sure.. maybe with the aqp.. yes in private you'd probably be earning 30+ I met an audiologist from amplifon earning 40+ so it's all about how well you sell I guess. Hope that helps :smile:
I'm a student.. to be honest I'm not sure.. maybe with the aqp.. yes in private you'd probably be earning 30+ I met an audiologist from amplifon earning 40+ so it's all about how well you sell I guess. Hope that helps :smile:

Thanks! I would say it's a very good job because entry requirements are only 3 B's max as well! Plus it's as good as pharmacy and optom which are ABB/AAB.
Your welcome...Its ABB in leeds... in terms of pay private sector is where you'd be looking at.. job satisfaction is really high too..in the nhs pharmacy and optom start off band 6 but for audiology its band 5 slightly lower pay.. but you'd progress though bands though the years anyway.
Your welcome...Its ABB in leeds... in terms of pay private sector is where you'd be looking at.. job satisfaction is really high too..in the nhs pharmacy and optom start off band 6 but for audiology its band 5 slightly lower pay.. but you'd progress though bands though the years anyway.

In the NHS department how long in till you get to band 6/7? And how much is the salary in those areas?
It depends how small the department is and whether your area of interest eg. Pradiatrics is in demand within that department.. check out all the band info on the following website...

http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/working-in-the-nhs/pay-and-benefits/agenda-for-change-pay-rates/
It depends how small the dpartment is and whether your area of interest eg. Pradiatrics is in demand within that department.. check out all the band info on the following website...

http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/working-in-the-nhs/pay-and-benefits/agenda-for-change-pay-rates/

That's brilliant thanks. You know because to become and audiologist you do the 3 year degree at unit (BSC) do you go straight into whatever you want to do so if that's nhs or private sector? Or is there training before?
Original post by Student23478
That's brilliant thanks. You know because to become and audiologist you do the 3 year degree at unit (BSC) do you go straight into whatever you want to do so if that's nhs or private sector? Or is there training before?

Sorry for errors meant to say University*. And an* instead of and.
Yes Bsc changed form Audiology (4 year degree) to Health science (Audiology) a 3 year replacement ... You can go straight into NHS after registering with the HCPC or RCCP (i think its called that) these give you licensees to practice as an Audiologist, but for private you'd have to take an extra exam (Just one) after graduating i think which means you are able to privately dispense hearing aids...
Yes Bsc changed form Audiology (4 year degree) to Health science (Audiology) a 3 year replacement ... You can go straight into NHS after registering with the HCPC or RCCP (i think its called that) these give you licensees to practice as an Audiologist, but for private you'd have to take an extra exam (Just one) after graduating i think which means you are able to privately dispense hearing aids...

Is that exam straight after UNI? Or do you have a full year of training then the exam?

Hi, do you know if there's a good pension, like there is in teaching?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending