The Student Room Group

Ljubljana, Slovenia

So my boyfriend and I are going on a road trip from Vienna, Austria to Ljubljana this weekend. Any recommendations for things to do/see/eat in the Slovenian capital or nearby?
We're both interested in architecture, culture, museums, local cuisine, sport, the usual stuff :smile:

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to hire bikes and whether the city is bike-friendly? Or even a canoe to go sailing down the river? And are there are thermal baths like in Budapest?

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Original post by xmarilynx
So my boyfriend and I are going on a road trip from Vienna, Austria to Ljubljana this weekend. Any recommendations for things to do/see/eat in the Slovenian capital or nearby?
We're both interested in architecture, culture, museums, local cuisine, sport, the usual stuff :smile:

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to hire bikes and whether the city is bike-friendly? Or even a canoe to go sailing down the river? And are there are thermal baths like in Budapest?

Thanks in advance!

Hi, I went to the city two years ago, but I don't think many things have changed since then. I really enjoyed the museum of modern art near Metelkova (there's also an anarchist neighbourhood with impressive graffiti and such!). I can't help much with regards to local cuisine, I only went shopping to the nearest supermarket and found, to my own surprise, that many goods weren't different from those in the Czech Republic (they just had funnily different names - a candy called "indianek" - little Indian in Czech - is called "jezek" - hedgehog in Czech and Slovene - over there).
Reply 2
Original post by Ivanka
Hi, I went to the city two years ago, but I don't think many things have changed since then. I really enjoyed the museum of modern art near Metelkova (there's also an anarchist neighbourhood with impressive graffiti and such!). I can't help much with regards to local cuisine, I only went shopping to the nearest supermarket and found, to my own surprise, that many goods weren't different from those in the Czech Republic (they just had funnily different names - a candy called "indianek" - little Indian in Czech - is called "jezek" - hedgehog in Czech and Slovene - over there).

Thanks for the tips! Before going I had no idea Ljubljana had such a lively street art scene. The ararchist neighbourhood you mentioned used to be an army barracks, it was really awesome and reminded me of the East Side Gallery in Berlin.

I did think the country was quite similar to the Czech republic in terms of architecture, so I'm not surprised they have a lot of the same food :smile:
Reply 3
Ljubljana is a wonderful place, just strolling around in the center in the evening will do. The whole country impressed me a lot it has something very unique; if you can, try visiting Maribor it's very nice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest